Best team that didn't win an all Ireland ?

Started by seafoid, April 06, 2017, 06:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Eg the late 70s Rossies, mid 80s Monaghan, various Mayo iterations etc

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

The Armagh team of the late 70s early 80s was the equal of the Roscommon team of the same era.

rrhf

clarshack

Tyrone 2010 - kicked a load of wides against the dubs in the 1/4 finals. If we got through that game we would have got revenge on Cork for the season before. Down would not have beaten us in the final.

Also if the qualifiers weren't introduced in 2001 I firmly believe that year would have been Tyrone's first All-Ireland. As Ulster champions we would have faced Roscommon in the All-Ireland semis and would have won that by a few pts. We then would have gave Meath a similar beating to what Galway gave them in the final.

Wildweasel74

Probably the Cork team from roughly 76-83, probably as good as Dublin at the time, but where on the receiving end from that green and gold mean machine all too often, any other time they won an all-ireland

Syferus

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

vallankumous

Quote from: rrhf on April 06, 2017, 10:44:27 PM
Tyrone 96

Me hoop. Both Meath and Mayo were better.

OakleafCounty

Probably Cork of the late 70's from what I've heard. Being biased I'll say Derry 1994. They might actually have been better than they were in 93 but just couldn't beat Down on the day. Nobody else really got close to Down that year.

snoopdog

Quote from: OakleafCounty on April 07, 2017, 08:30:27 AM
Probably Cork of the late 70's from what I've heard. Being biased I'll say Derry 1994. They might actually have been better than they were in 93 but just couldn't beat Down on the day. Nobody else really got close to Down that year.
Totally agree that Derry tram shouldve won more than 1 all ireland. Tyrone were very lucky to have a back door when they were good. Derry and Down would prob have another 1 or 2 in the 90s had there been a back door. Dubs and Meath also. They were good early 90s

Farrandeelin

I suppose we'll never know the real argument regarding this one, with no backdoor until 2001. Since then it's safe to say (in my biased opinion, of course) that the current Mayo team for the past 5 years are. Consistently competitive in August, yet can't finish the job. In 20/30 years time, those of us Mayo people still around will certainly look back on what might have been.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Schkite

Monaghan in 1985 would be up there. Won the national league and Ulster that year, and many of them won 2 other Ulsters around the time, and were only beaten by the great Kerry team of the time after a replay.

The Stallion

This Mayo team simply doesn't have good forwards. O'Connor is massively overrated. Moran is the only talented forward they have but he's not the player he once was.