Notable misses

Mickey Linden
Michael Donnelan
Tony McManus
Graham Geraghty
Stevie McDonnell
Conor McManus
Frank McGuigan

He doesn't even have Sean Purcell in the list FFS. In Breheny's head Trevor Giles and Michael Murphy were better players than the Master..

I'd have Johnny Doyle on that list above some of the names near the end too.

Wildweasel74

had already noted either of the terrible twins weren't mentioned

GalwayBayBoy

Martin Breheny loves a good list. Usually in the depths of winter though. April is a bit late for him to be still churning them out.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 06, 2017, 12:11:22 AM
Martin Breheny loves a good list. Usually in the depths of winter though. April is a bit late for him to be still churning them out.

In fairness most people like a list or else there would be so many..

Ohtoohtobe

I would differentiate between the full-forward and half-forward lines. Greg Blaney and Trevor Giles are very different types of player to Canavan and the Gooch.

nrico2006

Stevie McDonnell ahead of McConville every day of the week, far bigger scoring threat from play. 

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

OakleafCounty

'All-time' lists are a bit senseless. None of us have any clue who the great players were from 1884-1950 and even if we do have names none of us have seen them play. The furthest back I've heard of is John Joe Reilly from Cavan but there was a good six decades of GAA before him. I even doubt there's anyone on here who seen Sean Purcell or Sean O'Neil play.

The Stallion

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 06, 2017, 10:01:36 AM
Stevie McDonnell ahead of McConville every day of the week, far bigger scoring threat from play.

Agreed

Maroon Manc

In Armagh who would they consider the better player McConville or McDonnell? I'd pick McDonnell

At least we get to see some of the better talents from the less traditional counties, there's far more TV coverage of someone like John Heslin compared to Declan Browne.

The best forwards I've seen are Maurice Fitz, the Gooch, Canavan & Joyce. Joyce suffers in these polls because Galway have been in the wilderness since 2001.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 06, 2017, 10:49:50 AM
In Armagh who would they consider the better player McConville or McDonnell? I'd pick McDonnell

At least we get to see some of the better talents from the less traditional counties, there's far more TV coverage of someone like John Heslin compared to Declan Browne.

The best forwards I've seen are Maurice Fitz, the Gooch, Canavan & Joyce. Joyce suffers in these polls because Galway have been in the wilderness since 2001.

I'd go along with that. I find it hard to pick one over the other, especially the first 3. Joyce was unreal too though and I agree, very underrated.

seafoid

These lists are always confined to all Ireland winners which means in one year only 6 players qualify. And that, over a period of a few decades, leaves out too many people.

One example would be Benny Coulter. Never won Sam. Neither did Ciaran Mc Donald, Val Daly , Junior McManus or Nudie .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YGx0ENc4ZQ
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rudi

Dinny Breen

For those I have seen in the flesh or regularly on TV no particular order

Maurice Fitz
Colm Cooper
MF Russell
Johnny Crowley
Stevie O'Neill
Peter Canavan
Stevie McDonell
Michael Murphy
Johnny Doyle
Alan Brogan
Bernard Brogan
Dairmuid Connolly
Ciaran McDonald
Ja Fallon
Padraig Joyce
Michael Donnellan
Mattie Forde
Trevor Giles
Graham Geraghty
Ollie Murphy
Vinny Claffey
Dessie Dolan
Paddy Bradley

Probably plenty more that I can't think off. It's very hard to compare cross generational, different styles, some of today's forwards would be too soft whereas older forwards wouldn't be as technically proficient.

#newbridgeornowhere

Schkite

I can't believe Murphy is on that list and the likes of Stevie's O'Neill or McDonnell are nowhere to be found.

Franko

To expand a bit on Dinny's list - you could pretty much make a case for any of the below to make that original 20.

Mickey Linden
Benny Coulter
Ciaran McDonald
Stephen O'Neill
Ja Fallon
Mattie Forde
Frank McGuigan
Diarmuid Connolly
Paddy Bradley
Oisin McConville
Dinny Allen
Michael Donnellan