Are we mad?

Started by Jinxy, April 03, 2017, 10:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Yeah, but you've an 'It's only the championship' mindset as well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2017, 03:04:00 PM
I think 'it's only the league' exists for teams like Dublin, Mayo, Kerry. The top teams use the league to see if they can find a few new players or whatever.

The remaining counties try to get as high as they can, to help prepare them for the championship. The more time you spend as a D1 team, the better you are going to be, and the better you can perform in the Championship.

But even if that's true, and I'm sure it is to the same extent as it once was, it would be different if the league was linked to the championship. As Jinxy says, people want to do things a bit different, going to a home national league game on a lovely summers evening would attract plenty of people who aren't diehard GAA people.

There are very few negatives sides to making the league a central focus of our season.

AZOffaly

I actually agree with that. I'm just saying the 'it's only the league' is still there, but really only for the super heavyweights. I hate the thoughts of losing Provincial Championships. I know how much it would mean to TIpperary or Clare to win one. And not a pre-season version of it either, but I don't know how to embed it in a season where the league runs through the summer.

Syferus

I'd take beating Sligo every time over beating Cavan. Local rivalries are what the league just can't replicate.

Everything in the GAA is driven on it, apart from Dublin's Croke Park-sponsored soul vacuum of a set-up, because no one can rival that.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on April 04, 2017, 04:11:03 PM
I'd take beating Sligo every time over beating Cavan. Local rivalries are what the league just can't replicate.

Everything in the GAA is driven on it, apart from Dublin's Croke Park-sponsored soul vacuum of a set-up, because no one can rival that.

The league is exciting, because teams want to operate at the highest level they can, because of what that means for their future championship propects. Tipperary (and Clare) want to be operating in Division 1 and Division 2, not because that's the holy grail, but because by being there, and trading blows with Donegal, Galway, Cork, Meath, Kerry, Dublin, you will inevitably prepare yourself for what really are the bigger fish, the Championship(s).

Now, I think what Jinxy is suggesting here, is that basically the Leagues become the main prize in and of themselves. That would take a bit of a mind shift alright. It would be great to have our leagues played in decent weather, and have them be a central part of the year. They are getting there, but as I said, largely (in my view) because of what it means with respect to a teams chances in championship. Teams still want to win Provincial titles and All Ireland titles. The league helps them prepare to do that.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2017, 04:07:02 PM
I actually agree with that. I'm just saying the 'it's only the league' is still there, but really only for the super heavyweights. I hate the thoughts of losing Provincial Championships. I know how much it would mean to TIpperary or Clare to win one. And not a pre-season version of it either, but I don't know how to embed it in a season where the league runs through the summer.

Something's got to give.

I'd rather reduce the amount of league games if it meant for a league format for the championship. Play the provincials between league and championship.

Jinxy

Kildare threw the game against Galway just so we wouldn't be promoted.
Don't talk to me about local rivalries.  >:(

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Jinxy on April 04, 2017, 05:18:14 PM

Kildare threw the game against Galway just so we wouldn't be promoted.
Don't talk to me about local rivalries.  >:(
We can count on your support so next Sunday Jinxy?!!

Jinxy

Zulu

I don't know why people claim this as it's patently not true. For a start any competition will provide games between local rivals, in fact a league could provide many teams with more local rivalries than provincial championships and importantly they would against teams of similar standard.

I know that AZ and others would like to keep the provincials as a goal for the likes of Tipp but I can't see the merit in keeping something that will deliver a Tipp, Louth or Leitrim win once every 40 years but have little else going for it.

Play the leagues, seed teams based on their league position and play 1 v 32, 2 v 31 etc. in a knock competition to win Sam.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on April 04, 2017, 06:19:32 PM

I don't know why people claim this as it's patently not true. For a start any competition will provide games between local rivals, in fact a league could provide many teams with more local rivalries than provincial championships and importantly they would against teams of similar standard.

I know that AZ and others would like to keep the provincials as a goal for the likes of Tipp but I can't see the merit in keeping something that will deliver a Tipp, Louth or Leitrim win once every 40 years but have little else going for it.

Play the leagues, seed teams based on their league position and play 1 v 32, 2 v 31 etc. in a knock competition to win Sam.

Zulu, is your surname Duffy?

Jinxy

Syf, would you rather beat Sligo to win a Division 3 title or beat them to win a place in a Connacht final where you get destroyed by Mayo?

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on April 05, 2017, 09:10:42 AM
Syf, would you rather beat Sligo to win a Division 3 title or beat them to win a place in a Connacht final where you get destroyed by Mayo?
Jinxy, would you rather beat Westmeath  to win a Division 2 title or beat them to win a place in a Leinster final where you get hammered (again) by the Dubs ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

I'd rather beat them to win division 2.

Farrandeelin

Given up on trying to beat Mayo and Galway?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.