Monaghan v Dublin 2/4/17 Clones

Started by Main Street, March 31, 2017, 07:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 03, 2017, 04:58:22 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 03, 2017, 03:34:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2017, 04:51:59 PM
The thing is, you can stay with Dublin and frustrate them if you are very well-organised and fit.
But the game will still be won in the last 10 minutes.
How do you make sure your big players can still influence things at the end of the game?
Conor McManus was deep in his defence towards the end.
He's no use to Monaghan back there.

You have to get as fit as the Dublin team really is what is required.
I think the main problem is that Dublin normally have 5 forwards who can usually score if left one on one with a defender (Andrews/McMenamon/Connolly/Brogan/Flynn/Rock - and most can  kick off two feet) which means that team defence has to be that much tighter especially as Dublin normally place guys right on the sideline on both sides of the pitch creating space (which means more running for midfielders/half forwards to cover) and when teams drop deep Dublin have multiple players like Conolly/Fenton/McMahon etc who can score from 45 yards out.

Introducing subs with 11 all-stars and 3 footballer of the year awards between them when your backs are to the wall help, towards the fitness levels you allude to. Not having one of your most influential players shown the line for an arguably misinterpreted black card whilst the same thing was going on in the Dublin FB line also helps. I heard the inconsistent ref referred to as 'Dublin Joe' on a few occasions yesterday and bizarrely one of them from a Dublin fan.. A Cavan referee should not be officiating a game involving Monaghan either though I'm not expecting readers to fully get the nuances of that statement.

You are spot on re your attacking methodology though; width and depth are two of the main weapons to prise open a defence and Dublin have perfected this.

Listen, it's not sour grapes and Dublin are a fantastic outfit, players and supporters alike. I'm originally a Clones man and it was both a poignant and proud day for me yesterday. From what I observed, the Dubs seemed to really enjoy the location and occasion also. Comhghairdeas!  :)

As someone with whose family came from threemilehouse and enjoyed seeing Monaghan in their prime in the mid 80's I'm enjoying every success they are having.

In terms of Joe I would be quite happy if he never reffed a Dub game ever again as I find him one of the most biased ref's against Dublin.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Again Joe's honour is impeached,  first he's accused of being biased against Monaghan, now he's accused of being biased against Dublin. Was he equally biased in Sunday's game or more biased to one than the other? I just thought our Joe gave a fine refereeing display where he played the advantage rule like a fiddler.

What Dubs don't like is that Joe is wise to the fouls their players make in their assault tackle on the player with the ball. Most other refs allow Dublin to get away with that. The Dub players have to behave a lot better when Joe's around and that hurts.

ashman

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 04, 2017, 02:25:36 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 03, 2017, 04:58:22 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 03, 2017, 03:34:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2017, 04:51:59 PM
The thing is, you can stay with Dublin and frustrate them if you are very well-organised and fit.
But the game will still be won in the last 10 minutes.
How do you make sure your big players can still influence things at the end of the game?
Conor McManus was deep in his defence towards the end.
He's no use to Monaghan back there.

You have to get as fit as the Dublin team really is what is required.
I think the main problem is that Dublin normally have 5 forwards who can usually score if left one on one with a defender (Andrews/McMenamon/Connolly/Brogan/Flynn/Rock - and most can  kick off two feet) which means that team defence has to be that much tighter especially as Dublin normally place guys right on the sideline on both sides of the pitch creating space (which means more running for midfielders/half forwards to cover) and when teams drop deep Dublin have multiple players like Conolly/Fenton/McMahon etc who can score from 45 yards out.

Introducing subs with 11 all-stars and 3 footballer of the year awards between them when your backs are to the wall help, towards the fitness levels you allude to. Not having one of your most influential players shown the line for an arguably misinterpreted black card whilst the same thing was going on in the Dublin FB line also helps. I heard the inconsistent ref referred to as 'Dublin Joe' on a few occasions yesterday and bizarrely one of them from a Dublin fan.. A Cavan referee should not be officiating a game involving Monaghan either though I'm not expecting readers to fully get the nuances of that statement.

You are spot on re your attacking methodology though; width and depth are two of the main weapons to prise open a defence and Dublin have perfected this.

Listen, it's not sour grapes and Dublin are a fantastic outfit, players and supporters alike. I'm originally a Clones man and it was both a poignant and proud day for me yesterday. From what I observed, the Dubs seemed to really enjoy the location and occasion also. Comhghairdeas!  :)

As someone with whose family came from threemilehouse and enjoyed seeing Monaghan in their prime in the mid 80's I'm enjoying every success they are having.

In terms of Joe I would be quite happy if he never reffed a Dub game ever again as I find him one of the most biased ref's against Dublin.

That would have been brilliant on 1 April .

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 04, 2017, 09:45:09 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 04, 2017, 12:07:50 AM
Monaghan were a breath of fresh air yesterday. On another day they could easily have won. What did it for the Dubs in the end was the strength of their bench. Monaghan are a credit to Gaelic football and, if there's any justice, this team will get its reward.

Good man, fair play to you.

We believe the we are getting the absolute most and best from what we have, and it's great to see. It takes a massive effort by a a lot of folk. We also realise however (from the previous 25 year drought..) that these times can be short lived and that we have to embrace them and make the most of them..

Quote from: Main Street on April 04, 2017, 12:24:31 AM
Good you enjoyed the game HiB, there was a great atmosphere throughout with virtually no shenanigans on the field considering the pitch battle intensity of the contest.

Nauseating harmony :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayo Border

Monaghan were a breath of fresh air yesterday. On another day they could easily have won. What did it for the Dubs in the end was the strength of their bench. Monaghan are a credit to Gaelic football and, if there's any justice, this team will get its reward.
Nice warm, wooly, happy, clap on the back comment there for the Monaghan lads but slightly patronising from Mr Hill is blue. A long way from his comment on March 27th that Mayo fans were demonstrating "a case of irrational exuberance" in deeming their team worthy of challenging for an All-Ireland title.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Mayo Border on April 04, 2017, 07:04:46 PM
Nice warm, wooly, happy, clap on the back comment there for the Monaghan lads but slightly patronising from Mr Hill is blue. A long way from his comment on March 27th that Mayo fans were demonstrating "a case of irrational exuberance" in deeming their team worthy of challenging for an All-Ireland title.

I've absolutely no problem with the Mayo team and wish them well. It's just SOME of their supporters that are hard to take.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8