B) Padraig Pearse's GAC

???????????????

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: theticklemister on March 30, 2017, 11:25:11 PM
What about:

A)Padriag Pearses' GAC

B) Padraig Pearse's GAC

???????????????

How many Padráig Pearses is the club named after? I only know of one  :P , so it can only be B!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

AZOffaly

moysider

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 30, 2017, 11:14:12 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 30, 2017, 11:10:20 PM
You're wrong of course. The clubs are called Austin Stacks etc, not Austin Stack's GAC. Therefore the possessive of Stacks is Stacks'. Simple.

You can defend poor grammar all you like, but so far as I'm aware the 'Austin Stacks GAA Club' is named after only one individual, therefore you can compound their glaring grammatical error all you like.

Lookit. They might have a glaring grammatical error but at this stage it is habitual/colloquial. The club is called Austin Stacks.
However if St. Colman's College's  best player was described as St. Colmans' man of the match, that would be incorrect. I hope this clears it up!! 

moysider

Quote from: theticklemister on March 30, 2017, 11:19:56 PM
" The big midfielder from Pearses caught the ball and as he raced through ,he scored a majestic point. He turned out to be Pearses' best man on the field"

Right or wrong?

Right of course.

thebuzz

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 30, 2017, 11:27:30 PM

You are raving.

The crest could be wrong too. The man's name was Padraig Pearse. The man's name was Austin Stack. I'd be inclined to go with Fear ón Srath Bán in this case. If there's an s it has to be 's or else there shouldn't be an s.

moysider

Quote from: theticklemister on March 30, 2017, 11:25:11 PM
What about:

A)Padriag Pearses' GAC

B) Padraig Pearse's GAC

???????????????

In that scenario it is B of course.

AZOffaly

If you want to be grammatical about it, I suppose it should just be Padraig Pearse GAC. Since it is just one club, and neither does it belong to him.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 30, 2017, 11:34:27 PM
If you want to be grammatical about it, I suppose it should just be Padraig Pearse GAC. Since it is just one club, and neither does it belong to him.

It belongs to his memory, so the apostrophe is quite correct. But a bit like Wolfe Tone and his grave, he's not likely to come looking for it!  :P

theticklemister

I didn't think this would cause as much hassle. I write match reports for different outlets and just wondered what the best GAA people in the world (this forum) thought. Obviously, you all can't decide.

armaghniac

Maybe it commemorates all Padraig Pearses?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

Quote from: thebuzz on March 30, 2017, 11:33:19 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 30, 2017, 11:27:30 PM

You are raving.

The crest could be wrong too. The man's name was Padraig Pearse. The man's name was Austin Stack. I'd be inclined to go with Fear ón Srath Bán in this case. If there's an s it has to be 's or else there shouldn't be an s.

That's not the question though. The question was what IS it, not what should it be. It is clearly the Pearses and the Stacks, referred to in the plural. Now if you want to tell the, they are misnamed , work away, but they are named as such, and therefore the possessive is s'

AZOffaly

Quote from: armaghniac on March 30, 2017, 11:37:13 PM

Maybe it commemorates all Padraig Pearses?

Maybe. Or maybe that's every member's name. Like the No Homers club in reverse.

theticklemister

I believe it should be .............................

"Here we go again, another run from Padraig Pearses' ticklemister through the heart of the defence stretches the lead further. By God he is some operator."

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 30, 2017, 11:37:19 PM
That's not the question though. The question was what IS it, not what should it be. It is clearly the Pearses and the Stacks, referred to in the plural. Now if you want to tell the, they are misnamed , work away, but they are named as such, and therefore the possessive is s'

Yes, that was the question: about Padráig Pearse's GAC in County Derry.

If other language manglers elsewhere in the country are brought into it we'll be here all feckin' night.  :)