All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 16, 2017, 12:55:11 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 16, 2017, 11:52:33 AM
So Dublin are in their 4th u21 final since 2010, they have also appeared in 4 other finals however it took them 46 years to achieve that. It's like something magical happened in the early noughties.....

All the talk of Kerry dominating at this grade. The Golden generation and what not! Crazy expectation to be put on a bunch of players at such an early stage of their development.

The Mad thing is Dublin's recent dominance at underage has been dismissed - almost ignored in comparison, while Kerry's couple of Minor titles out of no where have been seen as a pre-requisite to future success.

The denial of where Dublin football is at is Scary! This is no fad or temporary dominance. If the Football community is looking to Kerry alone to curtail this dominance the game is in a very sad place!
Dublin minors are handy this year. Lad called James Doran from Na Fianna is a player, remember the name

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on April 16, 2017, 02:54:42 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 16, 2017, 01:57:47 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 16, 2017, 01:47:21 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 16, 2017, 01:43:49 AM
Quote from: Beffs on April 15, 2017, 11:57:26 PM
Quote from: Banter Panther on April 15, 2017, 06:06:36 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 15, 2017, 05:49:24 PM
Kerry young lads believing the shite propaganda from Slane and Co about being the new golden generation. On the other hand Galway did the work on the pitch
These lads are not the kind to believe the hype, they've just had a bad day at the office - can happen the best. People will only jump at the chance to have a pop at a beaten Kerry team, I understand that, but these lads are outstanding footballers, and this might do them the power of good in the long run.

I've a horrible feeling you are right. A loss like today, could do them a world of good in the long run.
Grasp away at the straws. They got what they deserve from their effort. You might get three seniors out of them

It's a bit harder to take the hype serious after they got played off the field by the poorest Galway side to win Connacht in at least 12 years, managed by someone no one in Galway had faith in to begin with. Far cry from the team that was supposed to have Dublin quaking in their boots at senior.

I wouldn't be that negative about Galway today. They closedown the game well in the last ten minutes and didn't panic when Kerry got the goal.

They're a fine side but the 2011 team destroyed everyone and the 2013 was loaded with 2011 holdovers and a top class FF line. That we should have beat in the CF, but that's another story..

Last four times Galway have won Connacht they've won the AI..

The current Galway U21 team is stronger with more panel strength in depth than the 2013 U21s Kildare and Cork that Galway beat in the AI series two sides that Roscommon probably would have beaten if they won Connacht 3 years ago.

Only doubts about this current Galway U21s group is consistency Kerry Sligo performances chalk and cheese as was the 1st and 2nd halves v Leitrim and their doubts about the manager but I doubt his previous manager gigs had such a strong management team of Tim Rabbitte (fitness), Tomas Mannion (defence coach), Barry Cullinane (midfield coach), Val Daly (forwards coach), Ciaran O Fatharta (selector) and goalkeeping coach Gay Mitchell.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 16, 2017, 06:39:08 PM
Kerry young lads believing the shite propaganda from Slane and Co about being the new golden generation. On the other hand Galway did the work on the pitch
These lads are not the kind to believe the hype, they've just had a bad day at the office - can happen the best. People will only jump at the chance to have a pop at a beaten Kerry team, I understand that, but these lads are outstanding footballers, and this might do them the power of good in the long run.

I've a horrible feeling you are right. A loss like today, could do them a world of good in the long run.
Grasp away at the straws. They got what they deserve from their effort. You might get three seniors out of them

It's a bit harder to take the hype serious after they got played off the field by the poorest Galway side to win Connacht in at least 12 years, managed by someone no one in Galway had faith in to begin with. Far cry from the team that was supposed to have Dublin quaking in their boots at senior.

I wouldn't be that negative about Galway today. They closedown the game well in the last ten minutes and didn't panic when Kerry got the goal.

They're a fine side but the 2011 team destroyed everyone and the 2013 was loaded with 2011 holdovers and a top class FF line. That we should have beat in the CF, but that's another story..

The current Galway U21 team is stronger with more panel strength in depth than the 2013 U21s Kildare and Cork that Galway beat in the AI series two sides that Roscommon probably would have beaten if they won Connacht 3 years ago.

Only doubts about this current Galway U21s group is consistency Kerry Sligo performances chalk and cheese as was the 1st and 2nd halves v Leitrim and their doubts about the manager but I doubt his previous manager gigs had such a strong management team of Tim Rabbitte (fitness), Tomas Mannion (defence coach), Barry Cullinane (midfield coach), Val Daly (forwards coach), Ciaran O Fatharta (selector) and goalkeeping coach Gay Mitchell.

The 2013 had a bunch of third year players already knowing what it took to win an U21 AI, an incredible luxury for an underage team to have. A FF line of Adrian Varley, Shane Walsh and Ian Burke speaks for itself - two are at least part-time starters for Galway now and the third probably would be too if Walsh didn't have a set on him. The current Galway U21s are quite wasteful.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on April 16, 2017, 07:42:38 PM

The 2013 had a bunch of third year players already knowing what it took to win an U21 AI, an incredible luxury for an underage team to have. A FF line of Adrian Varley, Shane Walsh and Ian Burke speaks for itself - two are at least part-time starters for Galway now and the third probably would be too if Walsh didn't have a set on him. The current Galway U21s are quite wasteful.
The two main midfielders from 2011 more than a bunch and Flynn was struggling for fitness in 2013. Varley is a sub and unless Ian Burke bulks up its hard to see him making it at senior level. And remember a good number of those Galway 2013 AI winners lost to Leitrim the following year and they weren't a decent Leitrim like this year.

The current Galway U21s are more inconsistent. Opening ten minutes yesterday nobody was calling Galway wasteful when it looked like they would put up a cricket score. Galway are onto a winner if the likes of Daly,Cooke,McDaid,Darcy etc are nurtured right.

Dinny Breen

Bit of revisionism going on here that Kildare side kicked 20 wides in a 5 point defeat, dominated possession throughout the game just had a typical Kildare game against Galway.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Yeah, I remember Kildare were shockingly bad in front of the posts but had plenty of possession.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Captain Obvious

Dare I say the Kildare U-21 team that didn't win Leinster last year was stronger than the Kildare side that won Leinster in 2013?

Banter Panther

Kerry young lads believing the shite propaganda from Spillane and Co about being the new golden generation. On the other hand Galway did the work on the pitch

Those last two comments are another example of why yesterday's loss might be the best thing to ever happen them.
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

Syferus

Quote from: Banter Panther on April 16, 2017, 10:52:34 PM
Kerry young lads believing the shite propaganda from Spillane and Co about being the new golden generation. On the other hand Galway did the work on the pitch

Those last two comments are another example of why yesterday's loss might be the best thing to ever happen them.

Roundabout logic.

Banter Panther

You haven't heard the last of these lads, as desperately as I know full well you want to believe otherwise.  ;)

Syferus

Quote from: Banter Panther on April 16, 2017, 11:19:06 PM
You haven't heard the last of these lads, as desperately as I know full well you want to believe otherwise.  ;)

Hearing about them isn't the problem they face.

Banter Panther

Quote from: Syferus on April 16, 2017, 11:19:39 PM
Quote from: Banter Panther on April 16, 2017, 11:19:06 PM

Hearing about them isn't the problem they face.
They'll make a miserable boy of you yet heigh.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 16, 2017, 10:51:32 PM
Dare I say the Kildare U-21 team that didn't win Leinster last year was stronger than the Kildare side that won Leinster in 2013?

Apart from arguably the full forward line the 2013 team was stronger in every line - 2015: Neil Flynn, Healy, McCormack v 2013: Fogarty, Brophy, Dowling. That 2015 full forward line could be all starting for the seniors this summer if Dan Flynn is unavailable. Looking at the 2013 team Fogarty has fallen off the radar now after showing good early promise. He lacks the pace to be a serious option at senior level. Brophy is with the West Coast Eagles. Dowling is much more suited to midfield and blows very hot and cold.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ck

Quote from: yellowcard on April 16, 2017, 01:26:11 PM
People blaming tiredness on the Donegal defeat are clutching at straws. These are young lads of 19-21 very few of whom probably have full time jobs. There was ample time for recovery and it's not like they ran Dublin close. Dublin were comfortably the better side and Donegal were victims of their own safety first system that they employ. They have several talented footballers but that system does not allow for creative flair, it's robotic and dull.

Right off the Joe Brolly hymn sheet.