Connacht minor championship

Started by sligoman2, June 22, 2016, 07:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Haven't heard much about this to be honest but I know we play Roscommon on Saturday and the winners play 4 days later.  I saw Roscommon hammer us back in March when we were without the summerhill lads.  I know we have some good players and should be able to give Roscommon a good test.  I assume it's Mayo and Leitrim in the semis.
Has anyone watched any challenges or have any news or predictions for this competition?  Personally I think it should be played on a league basis with the top two teams going to the final as one and done is unfair given the amount of time spent preparing for this, or else a backdoor system like the senior teams.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Itchy

Maybe not playing the whole Connacht championship off in 10 days would be a good idea too.

Rossfan

True Itchy.
It's a disgrace asking lads to play 2 massive games in 5 days.
No reason to have the Minor Final on with the Senior one at all.
Have an U16 Ted Webb game between Ros and one of the Galways.
We won the Connacht NFL mainly due to the results on the last day.
We hammered Mayowestros, gave Sligo a good trimming but could only draw with Longford and got well bet by Galway so no real guide there.
Sligo gave us an awful batin last year so while we have a better side thus year am not that hopeful.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

barking mad

Think the tribesmen will come out of connaught draw good to them as well
Pure shambles having to play 3 days later for ros and Sligo
Professionals aren't asked to do it in euros and they have 17 and 18 year olds training guts of 7 months for a comp to be made into a farce.

Cunny Funt

Who is the clowns behind that ridiculous scheduling?

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on June 22, 2016, 11:04:23 AM
True Itchy.
It's a disgrace asking lads to play 2 massive games in 5 days.
No reason to have the Minor Final on with the Senior one at all.
Have an U16 Ted Webb game between Ros and one of the Galways.
We won the Connacht NFL mainly due to the results on the last day.
We hammered Mayowestros, gave Sligo a good trimming but could only draw with Longford and got well bet by Galway so no real guide there.
Sligo gave us an awful batin last year so while we have a better side thus year am not that hopeful.

Mayo will be interesting. Nobody from Ballina, Crossmolina, Ardnaree, Knockmore in the squad even though Ballina college were in last 4 of Connacht A championship. Had a great win over St. Jarlaths and their best players were minor. Players just dropped out for some reason or other. Leaving cert was an issue but..... Maybe the reality that many of the 2013 team have suffered chronic injuries is an issue as well? It appears to be a hard slog for several months for young lads for possibly/probably one game.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 22, 2016, 11:38:27 PM
Who is the clowns behind that ridiculous scheduling?
head clown is from Ballyhaunis.

Rossfan

And the elected delegates from the Counties seem to be total sheep.......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on June 23, 2016, 11:05:47 AM
And the elected delegates from the Counties seem to be total sheep.......

Like all delegates , don't even know what purpose they serve at CB level tbh. (In Mayo anyway)
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

manfromdelmonte

delegates really only worked when there was no full time staff who dictate policy and run the show

full time staff is where the real power lies in any organisation with the volunteer delegates only rubber stamping the decisions the full time staff have already taken

Maroon Manc

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 22, 2016, 07:00:11 AM
Haven't heard much about this to be honest but I know we play Roscommon on Saturday and the winners play 4 days later.  I saw Roscommon hammer us back in March when we were without the summerhill lads.  I know we have some good players and should be able to give Roscommon a good test.  I assume it's Mayo and Leitrim in the semis.
Has anyone watched any challenges or have any news or predictions for this competition?  Personally I think it should be played on a league basis with the top two teams going to the final as one and done is unfair given the amount of time spent preparing for this, or else a backdoor system like the senior teams.

Good idea, there's certainly an element of the luck of the draw here currently and especially with no backdoor system its a bit unfair.

Syferus

Hopefully the minors exact revenge for last year as the seniors did a few weeks ago. Big ask for the winners to beat a fancied and rested Galway the next Wednesday. This is a great competition and jamming it together like this is nonsense. If the timing was this bad the first round could have been played in May before the LC, the Leinster championship starts in March/April ffs.

Blowitupref

Two teams named for tonight's game.

Sligo

1 Eamonn Kilgannon St. Farnan's
2 Brian Cox Calry/St.Joseph's
3 Adrian Cummins Calry/St.Joseph's
4 Brian Mahon Owenmore Gaels
5 Stephen Mulligan St. Mary's
6 Rory McHugh Easkey
7 Luke Towey St. Molaise Gaels
8 Mikey Gordon Easkey
9 Patrick O'Connor (Capt) St. Farnan's
10 Sean Carrabine Castleconnor
11 Liam Gaughan Tourlestrane
12 Evan Lavin Eastern Harps
13 Gerard Perry Tubbercurry
14 Conan Marren Tourlestrane
15 DaĆ­re Kearns Shamrock Gaels

Roscommon

1 Liam Cregg Michael Glaveys
2 Adam Whyte St Ciarans
3 Aidan Dowd Western Gaels
4 Damien Duff Clann na nGael
5 Lorcan Daly Padraig Pearses
6 Sean Fallon Clann na nGael
7 James Fetherstone Roscommon Gaels
8 Luke Mollahan Elphin
9 Conor Shanagher Kilbride
10 Keith Murphy Strokestown
11 Daniel Glynn Padraig Pearses
12 Michael McGloin St Dominics
13 Cathal Heneghan Michael Glaveys
14 Ciaran Lennon Clann na nGael
15 Cian McKeon Boyle
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Staff party in Bray last night but up at the crack of dawn to make the train home for the match. Jaysis amn't I mighty.

sligoman2

Great to see 5 of the starting fifteen are from the west division.  Well done to Easkey, Farnans and castleconnor.  We need players from all over the county and this certainly is encouraging.  I would expect us to give Roscommon a hard game and am predicting a close win for us.   Conan Marren at 6ft 5 will make an impact at full forward and is minor again next year.  We have a very talented forward line, and seem to have a well balanced team.  I know Roscommon are good but think we can take this one.

Will this be a rosexit or a sliexit?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.