Longford's Pearse Park stands need to be demolished

Started by Shamrock Shore, August 05, 2015, 09:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Dramatic headline for sure. The entire covered stand area has to be demolised and rebuilt. See below from The Longford Leader:

Longford GAA County Board are staring down the barrel of a crippling multi-million euro bill after an expert report has recommended the demolition, redesign and rebuilding of the covered stand areas at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park.

Following the emergence of structural subsidence issues at the venue during June of last year, Collins Boyd Engineers & Architects were commissioned to investigate the situation.

They conducted a series of examinations, the findings of which are published in a comprehensive report presented to delegates at last night's County Board meeting in Áras Uí Bhriain, and it recommends that the only commercially viable solution to deal with the issues identified is to demolish, redesign and rebuild the stand.

County Board secretary Peter O'Reilly outlined, "There was also the option of underpinning the stand and trying to get it pile-driven underneath to support the structure that is there but the most cost effective option is to demolish, design and rebuild."

Earlier this year, as a precautionary measure, a section of the stand – affecting approximately 600 seats - was initially cordoned off but as investigative work intensified, the entire stand area was sealed off and declared out of bounds.

Owing to the significantly reduced Pearse Park capacity, Longford had to forfeit home advantage for their Round 3A All-Ireland SFC qualifier against Kildare.

The 'original' foundations went down 2 meters. Due to the nature of the ground the foundations should have gone down 21 meters.

Another disaster following on from the money wasted on the so-called 'Centre of Excellence' and the county becoming the poster boy for a 'Second Tier' chanpionship after the roasting handed out by The Dubs.

I wonder will anyone approach Tallaght Longford Town to discuss a ground share  ::)

westbound

Terrible news for Longford GAA.

Will there be any possibility of redress being sought from the original architects/engineers/builders?

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: westbound on August 05, 2015, 09:23:01 AM

Will there be any possibility of redress being sought from the original architects/engineers/builders?

Sadly no. The 'original' small stand is there as long as I can remember so we are talking the 60s for it. The newer part was mid 2000s so long gone out of the time limit for a claim. In any event the lads who designed and constructed the newer portion (and this is where the story gets murky but the libel laws prevent any discussion here) have long since departed the scene (including someone who may have been close to the County Board at the time of construction.................)

westbound

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 05, 2015, 09:35:41 AM

Sadly no. The 'original' small stand is there as long as I can remember so we are talking the 60s for it. The newer part was mid 2000s so long gone out of the time limit for a claim. In any event the lads who designed and constructed the newer portion (and this is where the story gets murky but the libel laws prevent any discussion here) have long since departed the scene (including someone who may have been close to the County Board at the time of construction.................)

Best not go down this route on here!

Bad news for Longford Gaa anyway. Hopefully, GAA HQ will help out.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

Has yous ring the IFA for advice?

Quote from: Jinxy on August 05, 2015, 04:54:52 PM
Grass banks are the way forward.

Ah yes. the timeless green grassy slopes by the Boyne.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

I know just the (Down) man!

rrhf

Bad luck here.  One of my favourite grounds.  great Atmosphere.  Always remember it for Cormac's last league game. 

Rossfan

Sorry to hear it has to be demolished.
If only it was 2005 he'd get a property developer out there to buy it and let ye use the cash to build a new ground - at Slashers?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...