New Eircodes launched today for ROI

Started by Shamrock Shore, July 13, 2015, 09:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

For folks living Dine Site you can now find out what your eircode/postal code is by visiting

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

By all accounts it's a balls of a system (or maybe that's just disgruntled people disgruntling) that isn't google maps etc enabled.

I hope to Jesus it's not another waste of money like e-voting, P-pars etc.

magpie seanie

Shamrock Shore

What works?

I know we can get our code but the people in the know say it's illogical and too random and not based on any sort of grid system and will lead to confusion for post/ambulances etc.

As I said this could be just lads who didn't get the gig having a pop but 24 mill has been spent on this and it had better work FFS!

armaghniac

It won't increase confusion, but there is debate about whether it is the best way forward. There is definite suspicion that it is designed to provide a revenue stream for the operators.

I hope you live in a Class A area, Shamrock Shore, not one of those proletarian 'D's.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ludermor

Why isn't there some kind of logic with the numbers? My neighbours house is completely different except for the first 3 letter/numbers which i assume is an area code.

macdanger2

Quote from: ludermor on July 13, 2015, 10:57:47 AM
Why isn't there some kind of logic with the numbers? My neighbours house is completely different except for the first 3 letter/numbers which i assume is an area code.

Maybe because outside urban areas in particular, the consecutive numbering system would break down over a few years as new houses are built??

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 13, 2015, 11:04:50 AM
Quote from: ludermor on July 13, 2015, 10:57:47 AM

Maybe because outside urban areas in particular, the consecutive numbering system would break down over a few years as new houses are built??

This could probably have been addressed by leaving gaps. But on the outskirts of towns a handful of houses could be augmented with an estate and  in an urban area where a site with a single building is turned into 10 apartments.

But as I said, this also means that you have to look up their database each time. 

laoislad

If it's linked into Google or Tom Tom for navigation then I can see it being useful.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trileacman

I think once again this is something styled on a system that works well in other countries and you've all jumped on the bandwagon to stick the boot in before you've even used it. Postcodes in the north are similar, no real comparison between houses but it still works. Google isn't 100% accurate for rural postcodes in the north either but if it works well for sat navs it'll have been a good investment.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AZOffaly

OK, we live in an estate built in 2005, all houses complete and lived in. Why is my number ending X63V but my neighbours FV4Y and my neighbour on the other side is E9AV? How is that in any way logical? The first 3 characters are the same for all 3 alright.

armaghniac

Quote from: trileacman on July 13, 2015, 11:41:19 AM
I think once again this is something styled on a system that works well in other countries and you've all jumped on the bandwagon to stick the boot in before you've even used it. Postcodes in the north are similar, no real comparison between houses but it still works. Google isn't 100% accurate for rural postcodes in the north either but if it works well for sat navs it'll have been a good investment.

It isn't quite like the one in the North or any other place. In the North, and pretty much everywhere else in the world until now a postcode is a group of address, like of of those made up road names in the North. So all houses on a such a road have the same post code. it is also more granular in the North, so all postcodes in civilised parts of Armagh start with  BT35 9**

For Eircode, every house has a different code and Google will pinpoint your house and the zones (first 3 characters) are quite big, not much use for grouping orders together for instance.

This is based on using the database, which is now techically possible, but also leads to an income stream for those who run the database.

AZOffaly

Do a few searches for 'border' towns. I don't mean the artificial border in Ulster, but towns on bordering county regions. i see war coming. Newport is in County Limerick :),

armaghniac

It is a postcode, based on post towns, with the usual problems of that for people put in with the neighbours.

But you could just write the Eircode and leave out the name of the offending county.

screenexile

I listened to a debate on it a while ago and transport companies were giving out yards about how poorly it was devised.

Tommy Tom Carr of Pallet Xpress (And numerous failed GAA managerial sojourns) was on saying that transport companies should have been consulted on it and that a system like the one in the UK should have been used.

AZOffaly

Aye, but this is what they say on their website.

The county shown on the Eircode Finder for may address is incorrect. Can it be changed?
The addresses used to assign Eircodes are postal addresses. This is also the address used for all Eircode communications. For the purpose of mail delivery, use of the correct postal address containing the information required to ensure correct routing of mail, is essential. The postal address includes the name of the 'post town', i.e. the town or village in which your specific mail delivery office is located and through which your mail is routed. This may not be the nearest town to you geographically as it is determined purely by the mails network. An Post encourage you to use your correct postal address for the purpose of efficient mail delivery. Eircode are unable to change postal address information.

However, as far as I am aware, my postal address is Newport, County Tipperary. You know, seeing as how it is actually in Tipperary. So that second last sentence is pretty smug. In other words you are using the wrong address schmuck.