Karol Mannion Retires from Inter-County Football

Started by Syferus, January 28, 2014, 05:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Over 100 appearances for his county, and would have featured in many more were it not for Brigids' AI runs. Not many players of any hue can lay claim to his level of service, and through some lean years at that. 2010 would be the obvious highlight of his IC career, finally winning a Connacht medal after many years as a starter.

One of my favourite Roscommon players of his generation, great attitude and an even better man.

Thanks for the memories, Mango.

Rossfan

Farewell Mango and enjoy a well earned long and happy retirement.
You were one bright light through many dark days.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

A very good player who would have got on most county teams, Roscommon going through a  barren enough spell probably a big reason he not more well know

larryin89

He reminds us of all things good about the Rossies of this generation.

He never beat Mayo.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

ross4life

He probably adds a year onto his club career by hanging up his county boots a sensible choice i suppose. His experience for the younger lads coming through will be missed & over the last decade he more than held his own against the very best midfielders. Decent forward when he started out also, was great to see him win senior All Ireland medal last March.

All the best Karol happy retirement.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

theticklemister

Always the player you first look for what he Roscommon team is named. Always gave a 100%. Fine all round athlete. Fast, strong, kick a score, catch a ball and never no whinging.What age is he?

Syferus

Quote from: theticklemister on January 28, 2014, 11:16:47 PM
Always the player you first look for what he Roscommon team is named. Always gave a 100%. Fine all round athlete. Fast, strong, kick a score, catch a ball and never no whinging.What age is he?

33, going 34, according to today's Herald. He'll be joining the senior coaching team later in the year, just back from his honeymoon and probably has plenty of other things to be sorting out right now. Glad Mango will still be around because he was one of the real leaders on the panel.

Jinxy

I thought he was a good bit younger than that for some reason.
Anyway, the best of luck to him, he gave great service and can hold his head high.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 29, 2014, 12:23:27 AM

Was he there for the 2001 Championship?

I remember some profile on him from 2011 or something talking about how when he came onto the senior panel we were Connacht champions, that means 2002.

Edit: Looked it up and yeah, definitely joined the panel in 2002.

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on January 28, 2014, 11:34:21 PM
I thought he was a good bit younger than that for some reason.

Was a U21 in 2001. Won a Junior All Ireland in 2000 - kicked the 2 winning points as far as I remember when WE BET KERRY (Larry please note  :P).
Got married around Christmas , he works in Dublin wife works in Galway so something had to give.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bojangles

I guess all careers come to an end sometime, even for Karl - thought he might have had one more tilt at IC though. For me, he has been the standout player of his generation in a Roscommon or Brigids shirt. Exemplified all that is good about the game. Strong, intelligent, competitive. He played against the best in the business and rarely came out second best. Highlights would be i)goal against corofin to win connacht club, ii)AI club final display iii)display against Tyrone/Kevin Hughes in Croke Park qtr final some years back iv) battles with Seamus Quinn. I've also seen his interaction with younger players coming through and it was that of a real leader - showed them respect and made them feel 10 foot tall. The highest accolade that can be said of a rossie player is he was a player in the mould of Dermot, and that applies to this man. Best of luck outside the white lines Karl.

mouview

Quote from: larryin89 on January 28, 2014, 10:36:45 PM

He never beat Mayo.

Like, that's a measure of success??!!

larryin89

Quote from: mouview on January 29, 2014, 02:57:23 PM

He never beat Mayo.

Like, that's a measure of success??!!

By golly it is for the Rossie, if they by some miracle happen to beat  Mayo in June , you would see what it means to them . Concrete would move .

"
they were shouting like a bunch of  fuckin hyenas last Sunday leaving ballinlough!!!! Lookin forward to shutting their friggin mouths as usual come summer time.
26 January at 19:22 · Edited · Unlike · 3

Didn't make it down to Ballinlough but that was posted on my facebook by a lad who was there,  you just couldn't like them if you're life depended on it.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

ross4life

they were shouting like a bunch of  fuckin hyenas last Sunday leaving ballinlough!!!! Lookin forward to shutting their friggin mouths as usual come summer time.
I was there & it goes to show the untrue crap people can post on facebook. I understand you are middle age man larry, maybe its best to stop acting like 12 year old.

Quote from: Rossfan on January 29, 2014, 10:48:53 AM
Was a U21 in 2001. Won a Junior All Ireland in 2000 - kicked the 2 winning points as far as I remember when WE BET KERRY (Larry please note  :P).
Got married around Christmas , he works in Dublin wife works in Galway so something had to give.

I wonder did Eimir influence his decision? both living in Galway now i think.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open