Computer & Video Games Recommendations

Started by Syferus, August 24, 2013, 01:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

No longer just for cool people.

With smartphones and tablets infecting every corner of life almost everyone has access to some sort of games playing device, right?

So what are people playing? As a time-waster New Star Soccer on iOS is one of my favourites, it's a 2D soccer game where you play as one player and matches sim through to the points where you can do something to effect the play so they only take about 30 seconds to a minute to complete. You're building up your player's stats like an RPG, basically it's like a cross between Sensible Soccer and Championship Manager.

In terms of PC games I've always been a Civilization fan and have been playing the new expansion for Civilization V recently and it's as good as ever, the hex-based map and one unit per-tile limit they introduced in Civ V really changed the dynamic of the game for the better.

Then there's the big budget action games and this year has had two stellar ones, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us. The former set in a 1910s American exceptionalism city in the sky (literally) and the later set twenty years after a fungal outbreak that has pretty much destroyed civilization. The Last of Us really stands out in how it gives weight to movement and combat (you're not some superman walking turret for a change) but both games have strong characters and interesting stories. There seems to have been a lot of progress made in the last few years in moving stories in games on from the stereotypical guff that was the norm for so long.

Anyways, I guess I'm just looking for a starting point - what games stand out for people, now or in the past?

laoislad

Video games peaked with Centipede on the atari 2600!

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Cold tea

whiskeysteve

Wolfenstein 3D, Doom I & II, Duke Nukem 3D... halycon days of simple FPS deathmatches  8)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

trileacman

MGS 1 was the peak of video gaming for me.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

deiseach

Quote from: trileacman on August 26, 2013, 03:47:30 PM

Check out Cardboard Box Simulator.

Syferus

Ever play the Twin Snakes version of MGS1 for GameCube? MGS2-style first-person shooting added in and it breaks parts of the game (Ocelot's boss battle mutates into comedy) but it's definitely interesting. They really should make a HD version of that one and re-release it because barring using a GC emulator on a PC GC is the only way to play it still.

trileacman

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2013, 04:36:24 PM
???

Ever play the Twin Snakes version of MGS1 for GameCube? MGS2-style first-person shooting added in and it breaks parts of the game (Ocelot's boss battle mutates into comedy) but it's definitely interesting. They really should make a HD version of that one and re-release it because barring using a GC emulator on a PC GC is the only way to play it still.

No but had a mate who swore by it. Really enjoyed the storyline of MGS-1. Went to shite after that.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

whiskeysteve

GTA 5 has been released to rave reviews - $140M spent on development alone - will not have time to get into it the next while but anyone else getting it?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Tony Baloney

Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 16, 2013, 04:07:26 PM
GTA 5 has been released to rave reviews - $140M spent on development alone - will not have time to get into it the next while but anyone else getting it?
Havent played a games console in anger in nearly 10 years but I have just watched the GTA V ad on youtube and I think I might be in love.

http://youtu.be/N-xHcvug3WI

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 16, 2013, 09:10:15 PM
Havent played a games console in anger in nearly 10 years but I have just watched the GTA V ad on youtube and I think I might be in love.

Dispatched by Amazon today. Arriving Thursday. Day of adoration planned.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Syferus on September 16, 2013, 09:23:16 PM

I might trade in the kids for a PS4 and a copy of this.

The Worker

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 16, 2013, 09:27:49 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 16, 2013, 09:23:16 PM

I might trade in the kids for a PS4 and a copy of this.

Not scheduled to be released on the ps4 for a while.

laoislad

Haven't played anything on PS3 in a long time apart from downloaded tv shows and films!
Think I may just have to get GTA 5.Looks very good. Vice City is still my favourite game ever.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Captain Obvious