POTY 2012

Started by ONeill, August 20, 2012, 12:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meathie

McFadden Im hoping. I backed him at 25/1, dunno what he is now.

Don Johnson

K Lacey    11/4
Colm McFadden    3/1
Bernard Brogan    11/2
Mark McHugh    7/1
MD MacAuley    9/1
Michael Murphy    12/1
Aidan O'Shea    16/1
Alan Brogan    20/1
Paul Flynn    22/1
F McGlynn    22/1
Alan Dillon    25/1
Neil Gallagher    25/1   
Diarmuid Connolly    28/1
Kevin McManamon    28/1
Donal Vaughan    33/1
Barry Moran    40/1
Kevin McLoughlin    40/1
Cillian O'Connor    40/1
Ryan Bradley    40/1
Brian Cullen    66/1
Stephen Cluxton    66/1
Keith Higgins    66/1

squire_in_navy_slacks

Connolly @28/1 if he can put in big display for 2 games please god

Sam2011

Barry Moran is a good outside bet, if he puts in another two serious performances (if we get to the final). That's a lot of ifs though.

Atticus_Finch

At 22/1 Frank McGlynn represents excellent value.  He has been Donegal's most consistent performer all year.

If I was to sum up the difference between Donegal this season and Donegal last season in one sentence I would go for:

Donegal came up short in last year's semi final because their forwards were defenders while in this year's semi final they had defenders that were capable of being forwards when called upon.

No one else personifies the transformation between last year's Donegal team and this year's team than Frank McGlynn.

Not only has he been rock solid at the back but when called upon he has shown great composure up front - Scoring a point off his weak foot yesterday and producing a great finish when he scored a goal against Down in the Ulster Final.

He manned the square impeccably yesterday, holding a great forward Donncha O'Connor scoreless.

It was only when McGlynn went off injured that a hole appeared in the Donegal defence that allowed Cork to score a soft goal.

Out of all the above candidates I think not only does McGlynn deserve POTY to date (although he could have a bad game in the final) but at 22/1 is extremely good value.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

macdanger2

I backed Lacey (25/1) & McHugh (16/1) before yesterday's game :)

I reckon Lacey will get it for his consistency over the past two years - not the way it's supposed to be awarded but.....

stibhan

Lacey has been the best player in Ireland over the two years but McGlynn best over the last few months. Have to say that if McGlynn wasn't a cornerback he'd be a shoe-in - nobody has been near him all year.

Sidney

How the hell can Kevin Nolan not be on that list despite being Dublin's best player this year?  ::)

ross4life

Lacey won the gaaboard footballer of the year 2011 can he do it two years in a row? someone knock up a poll.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

BennyCake

Quote from: ross4life on August 28, 2012, 12:15:05 AM
Lacey won the gaaboard footballer of the year 2011 can he do it two years in a row? someone knock up a poll.

I know a fella who did just that. Fine looking specimen she is too  ;)

Atticus_Finch

Ladbrokes have Frank McGlynn at 20/1, definitely value (contrast that with Boylesports who have him at 11/1)

If you fancy Mayo to win Sam then Alan Dillon at 5/1 is a good punt.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Never beat the deeler

I would suggest that the fact that no-one has blown away the competition for POTY to date, this will go to a member of the AI winning team.

There are a number of candidates on both sides, so whomever plays best of Lacey, McHugh, McGlynn, McFadden, Dillon, O'Shea, B Moran or K McLoughlin.

I would love to see McLoughlin win it - he has been a major performer for Mayo all year - an intelligent footballer with heart, vision and skill.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Mayo4Sam

If Mayo win you'd expect Dillon to get it but any of Higgins, Caff, McLoughlin, Barry Moran or COC could sneak it with an excellent final.

I think it's a certainty the POTY will come from the champions
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

The Milky Bar Kid

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on September 05, 2012, 09:36:02 AM
Ladbrokes have Frank McGlynn at 20/1, definitely value (contrast that with Boylesports who have him at 11/1)

If you fancy Mayo to win Sam then Alan Dillon at 5/1 is a good punt.

Frank McGlynn is 40/1 on Paddypower today!

Norf Tyrone

I think Frank McGlynn has been superb too, but he's probably too obscure for a lot of people. A lot of folkd haven't heard of him.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone