Armagh vs Galway Athletic Grounds 03.04.2011

Started by mackers, March 29, 2011, 11:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

Who is this Onet you speak of!!! ;)

I think this is a win at all costs for the future of this panel, so I wouldn't be experimenting too much. Win this game, avoid the drop and then kick on, id much rather go into the summer knowing we will be pitting ourselves against the top level next year again rather than a dogfight in Div 2.

BerfArmagh

Berf I agree with you about the majority of the team but the unfortunate thing is that Stephen Kernan is not on the panel!  Also after saying that the MF is the one constant of the League so far and eulogising how well Toner has bee playing there you go and change it!  I presume you forgot to move Toner there instead of McKenna.  I would more or less go with the same team with Swift into no 11, and TK in the no 10 position.  I feel that Mallon offers more than BJP but it really is  toss up between them as neither have been outstanding.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Franny Hanratty get a start.
[/quote]

Aye I mean't to have Toner in MF. I would'nt be a big fan of Mc Kenna, v good club player but would'nt have the mobility or pace for inter county. TO be honest I have been very disappointed with Hanratty all year, seemed to be taken off in almost all his club matches this year...

I hate to say it and it would'nt make sense, especially considering you need to plan for the future, but oisin mc conville could still do as good a 35 mins as any forward we currently have. He was retired far too early in my opinion

AFS

Quote from: BerfArmagh on March 31, 2011, 05:04:35 PM
Berf I agree with you about the majority of the team but the unfortunate thing is that Stephen Kernan is not on the panel!  Also after saying that the MF is the one constant of the League so far and eulogising how well Toner has bee playing there you go and change it!  I presume you forgot to move Toner there instead of McKenna.  I would more or less go with the same team with Swift into no 11, and TK in the no 10 position.  I feel that Mallon offers more than BJP but it really is  toss up between them as neither have been outstanding.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Franny Hanratty get a start.

Aye I mean't to have Toner in MF. I would'nt be a big fan of Mc Kenna, v good club player but would'nt have the mobility or pace for inter county. TO be honest I have been very disappointed with Hanratty all year, seemed to be taken off in almost all his club matches this year...

I hate to say it and it would'nt make sense, especially considering you need to plan for the future, but oisin mc conville could still do as good a 35 mins as any forward we currently have. He was retired far too early in my opinion

I reckon he easily has both. Would have bigger concern about his work rate and perhaps concentration. Gives glimpses of what he can do, but rarely dominates the way those glimpses suggest that he could.

AFS

ARMAGH TEAM TO PLAY GALWAY

1. Philip McEvoy

2. Andy Mallon
3. Brendan Donaghy
4. Finnian Moriarty

5. Kevin Dyas
6. Ciaran McKeever
7. Paul Duffy

8. Kieran Toner
9. Malachy Mackin

10. Charlie Vernon
11. Colm Watters
12. Gareth Swift

13. Jamie Clarke
14. Steven McDonnell
15. John Murtagh

Substitutes
16. Paul Hearty
17. Micheal O'Rourke
18. Brian Mallon
19. Billy Joe Padden
20. James Lavery
21. Gavin McParland
22. Anto Duffy
23. Aaron Kernan
24. Rory Grugan
25. Francis Hanratty
26. Declan McKenna

I have no idea.

mackers

Quote from: AFS on March 31, 2011, 10:03:47 PM
ARMAGH TEAM TO PLAY GALWAY

1. Philip McEvoy

2. Andy Mallon
3. Brendan Donaghy
4. Finnian Moriarty

5. Kevin Dyas
6. Ciaran McKeever
7. Paul Duffy

8. Kieran Toner
9. Malachy Mackin

10. Charlie Vernon
11. Colm Watters
12. Gareth Swift

13. Jamie Clarke
14. Steven McDonnell
15. John Murtagh

Substitutes
16. Paul Hearty
17. Micheal O’Rourke
18. Brian Mallon
19. Billy Joe Padden
20. James Lavery
21. Gavin McParland
22. Anto Duffy
23. Aaron Kernan
24. Rory Grugan
25. Francis Hanratty
26. Declan McKenna

I have no idea.
You're not on your own.
Why swap Vernon & Mackin?
Why wait until the Cross players are back to try Colm Watters at CHF?
Why is David McKenna not even on the panel?
Thought that AK would struggle to come back into the HB line, but are there 15 better players in Armagh?
More questions than answers for me...........not the place to be at this time of the year.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

brokencrossbar1

fan01

Anyone any idea why Conor Clarke isn't listed on the panel of players for sunday?

AFS

Quote from: mackers on March 31, 2011, 10:26:04 PM
You're not on your own.
Why swap Vernon & Mackin?
Why wait until the Cross players are back to try Colm Watters at CHF?
Why is David McKenna not even on the panel?
Thought that AK would struggle to come back into the HB line, but are there 15 better players in Armagh?
More questions than answers for me...........not the place to be at this time of the year.

Wouldn't be too concerned about the Vernon/ Mackin situation, reckon it's only a paper change. We've been playing with three midfielders for a while now, with Vernon of three often drifting out towards the wing.

Those other questions are valid enough, and really illustrate just how unsettled things are, especially in the front six, only two games out from the Championship.

The most interesting thing is the ditching of the sweeper once again. Open to correction here, but I can't see any of those forwards dropping back to fulfil that role. Though, I wouldn't be surprised to see something mad like Vernon ending up back there.

naka

Can't see this team starting, why try murtagh now when he has been on the panel all season same with watters,whilst I hate to say this POR and DM are setting themselves up for a lot of criticism if Armagh beaten and this team starts.
What is the point of bringing the cross boys on when  mc keown,kernan, mckenna and cunningham are not on the subs bench,how are we going to get a system, the  team should have been gearing towards may but we are further away than ever, my pick
Hearty
Mallon donaghy morisrity/mckeown
Dyas mc keever Duffy
Toner Vernon
T kernan swift mc kenna (coming in as a third midfielder)
Clarke mc donnell  A kernanas (the spare man in defence)

Imposerous

Naka, your team is the side I'd love to have seen play. 

orchard 8195

Quote from: naka on March 31, 2011, 10:41:50 PM
Can't see this team starting, why try murtagh now when he has been on the panel all season same with watters,whilst I hate to say this POR and DM are setting themselves up for a lot of criticism if Armagh beaten and this team starts.
What is the point of bringing the cross boys on when  mc keown,kernan, mckenna and cunningham are not on the subs bench,how are we going to get a system, the  team should have been gearing towards may but we are further away than ever, my pick
Hearty
Mallon donaghy morisrity/mckeown
Dyas mc keever Duffy
Toner Vernon
T kernan swift mc kenna (coming in as a third midfielder)
Clarke mc donnell  A kernanas (the spare man in defence)

Agree with team only would try dyas at 11 ak at 5 and nippy 15, hate this shite about extra man in defence. Why not at least try all the cross men this match then what u think is ur best team against cork. It really baffles me the decisions that our management team make.

DuffleKing

Hmmm. This team has complacency written all over it - looks like Galway are considered poor enough to give a couple of panellists a run.
Very dangerous approach.

Throw ball

I am not one to criticise management or players on a forum like this but what the hell are they playing at? If Watters is to be tried, and I have not seen enough of him to know if he is good enough or not, why wait until now? And, if Johnny Murtagh is one of the best 6 forwards in Armagh I am going to get my boots! I honestly believe that POR has brought an improvement to the team over the last year and a half but he risks losing all support if Armagh lose on Sunday. I hope I am wrong and Murtagh has a great game though!

PAULD123

Harsh a critic though i may be of POR, I don't think you have any need to concern yourself lads. You are not going to lose on Sunday. I don't think you realise how poor Galway are. They probably played one of their best games against us and still got torn apart. Their only strength is moving quick ball through their HF line to running forwards. They will not be able to do that against your half backs who will have no problem tackling.

As for the changes to the forward line I am suprised too. Can only repeat your comments - Why wait till now to look at Murtagh & Watters? I assume the move of Vernon is, as another poster said, just paper and effectively he will play centre pitch pushing forward. You have been concerned about lack of points from HF line, Vernon would at least help correct that, so it may not be as silly a move as some have suggested.

Actually this is probably a very good experimental side from O'Rourke. It is most likely to answer the question - What if our real championship team gets injuries, who can we put in? I actually think it is a useful team for assessing the squad, I am pretty sure even POR doesn't think this is your BEST team.

But like I said you will not lose to Galway, he could field the entire Crossmaglen team and you'd still beat Galway

Applesisapples

This has to be a wind up, AK on the bench....Watters? Mackin? Murtagh? Maybe he is just giving them a run but with Down two competitive matches away?