Laochra Gael Mickey Linden

Started by Mourne Rover, January 28, 2007, 11:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITOB

Have lots of fond memories bout Micky Linden's exploits on the field of play.  Pity the cameras wern't present to record the frequent mind-blowing stuff he did at club level - amazing.

But at county level one memory abides,  When two ledgends collide and one has to be the loser a strange mix of feelinge rush forth; sadness for a great name being found wanting; trill at watching this happen; excitment at the spectacle of skill, being sucked in by the mass hysteria generated by 70k others trying to get their heads round somthing no one thought would ever happen; amazment at the skilful audacity being displayed, etc, etc.  Pure magic and genius.

I watched this happen in the 1994 AI Semi at Croker Down v Cork.  Twice Linden got the ball on the R wing line, bout 45 yards out and, egged on with "skin him Micky", taunted his tortured marker (in a sporting way of course) before soloing up the line at a pace that only took him past untouched having passed his marker contnued to solo another 20yds with the gap getting ever wider.  I felt sorry for the Great Niall Cahalane that day but at least he has it to say he was skinned by Micky.

downredblack

realredhandfan

That was the end of the 90s dreaming and also Cush's last game for Tyrone...  In his second last game he was RTE man of the match V Fermangh, he could have had another few seasons in him but obviously burnout was a factor.  The Terrible Twins were over....Mc Grath had done another amazing managerial feat.  but he also handed an Ulster title to Armagh ...

Over the Bar

On that sweltering day in Casement Danny Ball in his wisdom decided to take the Tyrone players out for an hours training session to "acclimatise" to the warm weather before the game and they were all fecked after it.  Small wonder we wilted in the 2nd half.

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

AZOffaly

What a player. On a related topic, any of ye watching EIR's classic gaa. It's great. Just full matches with minimum punditry. Just watched Clare v Waterford 1998 there. Great stuff.

seafoid

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 27, 2017, 09:35:36 PM
Still a legend...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/45-years-playing-gaelic-football-meet-the-former-footballer-of-the-year-still-tormenting-defences-at-54-35974294.html

You would forgive a man in Linden's form for putting his foot through the ball in a bid to emphatically claim his second Celtic Cross as well as that season's top individual award, but instead, O'Leary is fixed and the ball is deftly flicked across the square to allow James McCartan the easiest of palmed goals.
McCartan immediately pointed to Linden, as if already thanking him for the acclaim that accompanies a key All-Ireland final goal.
Linden didn't even hesitate when the game's key moment arrived.

"It was a 2 vs 1 situation and I thought back to the coaching I had at school from Barney McAleenan: in a 2 vs 1 situation, you suck the keeper in and pass it off to make sure it's a goal," Linden says.

Barney and Linden must have been a dream team in schoold football. Linden seems to have learnt so much from him.

Even though he is 54 now he is the epitome of Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí.

https://youtu.be/4t0fbuw1Ll0
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

94 Derry Down match first half was as perfect a corner forward example as you'll ever see. had me trying to imitate him for months after in the back yard.