Laochra Gael Mickey Linden

Started by Mourne Rover, January 28, 2007, 11:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

a great watch last night, the hairs were standing on the back of me neck in some parts. What we wouldnt give for a mickey linden in the team today.

the man had it all, there isnt a Gael throughout Ireland that wouldnt be proud of such a man that plays our national games - made me feel proud to be a Down Gael.

note how many times he took on defenders on the outside, skinned them with them hangin out of him then cutting inside and slotting over with the left peg.

TORGAEL

great viewing last night......superb memories........brought it all back, the heady days of the early nineties.......what a footballer !

highorlow

The 90's was when i started to really remember AIF's as a teenager.

It will take some player to top Mickey in this series. For such a big man he had the acelleration of a ferrari dino, and the handling and balance of a Maserati Quattroporte. A true legend.

This show is usually repeated, i think on Sunday nights....
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

cavan4ever

Quote from: highorlow on January 31, 2007, 09:07:17 AM

It will take some player to top Mickey in this series. For such a big man he had the acelleration of a ferrari dino, and the handling and balance of a Maserati Quattroporte. A true legend.

What height was he i didn't think he was a big man  !

amallon

Great show last night.  Everyone in Mayobridge and Down can be proud of the man. 

I'd say Mickey is 5ft 7 or 8.

I heard the program will be repeated on Friday night, not 100% on that though.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

5 Sams

Excellent show. Sometimes you forget just how good the man was....did anyone else get the impression that Jarlath wasn't impressed with Francey's "tackle".
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

I got that impression too from the talk of Jarlath. 

Brick Tamlin

noticed that myself. Hate to be cynical but he has to be seen to somewhat condemn what happened anyways.

GrandMasterFlash

Got that opinion too lads. I was thinking two things tho;

1. As said, he'd have to be seen to condemn it, I reckon he's lookin at being the future president of the GAA and has to be seen to condemn such actions by players
2. I don't think Silverbridge would have much time for Cross on the oul loacl scene..

Great show all the same, Mickey Linden's one of the best footballers I've had the pleasure of seeing.

amallon

One thing that will always stick in my mind is that when Mickey got the ball there would nearly always be the roar from the crowd "go on Mickey roast him".  Mickey usually did deliver the roasting too!  I hope Mayobridge supporters appreciate how lucky we were to have him playing for us. 

downredblack

Same thing happens when Benny gets the ball but to a lesser extent granted . Still there is an expectation on him everytime he gets the ball .

blowinharp

Quote from: amallon on January 31, 2007, 09:41:52 AM
Great show last night.  Everyone in Mayobridge and Down can be proud of the man. 

I'd say Mickey is 5ft 7 or 8.

I heard the program will be repeated on Friday night, not 100% on that though.

4 the record he is 5 foot 10.  :)

Dubh driocht

Surely the cry was 'skin him Mickey' as opposed to roast. Might you he did both. I ordered my 2 children to watch (at the expense of OC) and they were mesmorised. A bit like Gary Coleman.

ONeill

As I wrote before the night of the controversial deletions (I have strong suspicions, thegael!) I have an amusing abiding memory of Linden. In 1999, Danny Ball's men were flying. Tyrone had humiliated Fermanagh with Canavan the Kaiser back to the form of 1995. Cush was buzzing and McGleenan was an effective Donaghy-option up front. They were due to meet a Down side who struggled to defeat Antrim in the first round - a tired Pete McGrath on the sidelines. The semi was played at Casement on a hot summer's day. My crawling baldness did not welcome the searing sun. Tyrone were hot favourites to reach the final against an Armagh side who were gunning to end a 17-year thirst for an Ulster title.

Tyrone's play matched the weather as they scorched into a 8-2 lead with Canavan, Cush and McGleenan on serious form. For some reason Tyrone froze/stopped and Down chipped away at that lead until half time, going in only 2 behind. It was tit-for-tat in the second half and the youthful Paul McGurk in his debut season was finding an ageing Linden a handful. A break in play had occurred around centre-field with a Down player receiving treatment. Players were taking on water all over the field as did Linden. Mickey noticed play was about to resume and called out to McGurk asking if he wanted a drink. Paul, facing Linden, took the water bottle and at that precise moment the ball was sailing over his head into the space in front of Linden. McGurk, not managing to wet his lips, flung the bottle to the ground but was never going to catch Linden with a head-start. Over the bar. Down won by 5. Armagh won Ulster.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lawnseed 2

as an armagh man i was quite happy to follow down in the early 90s. lets face it we hadnt much better to do. players like linden ross carr and wee james were very easy on the eye. you have to ask where has it all gone wrong for down lately?