"GAA has sold out on its principles by opening Croke Park" - Ulster chairman

Started by AbbeySider, January 26, 2007, 01:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Michael Greenans mouth should be taped shut  >:(

The man is  an embarrassment to  the Cavan GAA  community.

Border Fox

I had forgotten about his embarrassing political oratory in the stadium he cares about so much.

In a few harsh sentances he quite possibly did more to sully the memories created on that hallowed turf than the flying feet of Brian O'Driscoll or Damien Duff could ever do.

Canalman

Absolutely agree with him.

Will agree with Micheál Grennan even more in about a month's time when the Rugby and Soccer tribes have triumphalized to the rafters and insulted the GAA and alot of its members.

Don't forget that for every Euro in rent we get that our "tenants/licensees" get 5/6 Euros plus the product placement of their competing code in a great stadium. The IRFU and FAI will soon see it as a "right" to use CP at their leisure.

If you are waiting for any humility/ gratitude from them dream on.

Hope the deal is not extended.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on January 26, 2007, 02:36:03 PM
I've said it here before, Greenan is an egomaniac, arch self-publicist who constantly bangs a loud controversial drum on various matters so he can sit back and marvel at the outspoken, blood and thunder, staunch and independent-minded heroic leader of men he thinks himself to be. I know this guy of old, trust me. His pathetic speeches on the steps of Croker, referencing political issues that have no place during any Cup presentation, shows that he considers his own agenda more important than the duties he's there to discharge, is willing to not only breach unspoken rules of decency but will also bypass acute embarrassment of himself in front of thousands if he thinks he can grab some publicity. Greenan makes me want to puke. Every stunt like this, his refusal to stand for Sean Kelly included, are all calculated moves on his part to increase his profile, feed his instatiable ego and make no mistake about it, in his mind, pave the way to stand for the Presidency. If he ever makes the highest office in the GAA, it will mark a darker day for the GAA when he sits down at his desk in the Hogan Stand than it will when Brian O'Driscoll et al ply their trade there for a few years before going back to where they came from. This constant inward-looking perspective and implicit failure to ackowledge that these fantastic GAA sports have a hold so great on the hearts and minds of Irish people that a few years of other sports at Croker will not even dent, is what's saddest of all about people like Greenan and their views. Bottom line, they lack confidence in their own product and fear the big bad international sports, despite fighting them off for years. The real battle ground with rugby and soccer is in treatment of players, welfare and making sure we keep them interested and well looked after, and has f**k all to do with stadiums if you ask me.

There were men like Greenan painting apocalyptic pictures when the ban was removed, it was the same when the ban on RUC and security forces was debated...and last time I looked the GAA hadn't crumbled because they were done away with. A few years of soccer and rugby at Croke Park - and let's not forget that Nickey Brennan has been quite strong in his handling of this so far and I for one don't expect him to keep rolling over if Lansdowne doesn't get underway soon - shouldn't kill it either.

I don't want to get into discussing the merits or lack of in Greenan's points, some of them are well enough made even if the one about Croker promoting other sports is a red herring - Croker or not these sports will have a high profile, they did before they will after - but what prompted me to post is that yet again, Greenan is elbowing his way into the public arena with more bluster and pulpit thumping that's frankly embarrassing to himself and his office. Whether you agree with some or all of what he's saying, fair enough, but don't be sucked into thinking he's a searing GAA evangelist with the association's best interests at heart. Michael Greenan looks out for Michael Greenan, end of.

If there was an "applause" emoticon I'd put it right here.

Getting tired of Grennan's grandstanding, scare-mongering and bluster myself.

thegael

Micheal Greenan is absoltely right!

the gaa has fallen for bully boy tactics from the media and liberal bigots.

we must remember who we are and our history and that it is the promotion of our games which is paramount.

Pangurban

I concur fully with Greenans views on this issue, but the debate took place and we lost, so its foolish and unhelpful that he should raise the issue now. Yes we were sold a Pup, but no point crying over spilt milk. Lets chalk it up to experience and move on

Dubh driocht

Greenan is an arrogant self-publicist of limited ability. There are plenty of people who have put in the same amount of work and didn't get the perks he got and is getting.He's an embarassment .One association, one country, one vote. Had concerns about the thing myself but have moved on PS That ball was never over the line

thegael

it is not about spilt milk it is about a rule changed being adhered to.

how many times do our top hurlers or footballers get to train in croke park?

it is about time men of principle spoke up and you two down men(or maybe you are both the same) would do better to run to your ally eddie mc grady and ask his opinion!

also don't be attacking  the work he has done for the association , he has been involved at all levels not just the commitee room with the knights of coloumbanus!

Uladh

If any member feels the criteria of the sanction for the use of croke park by other sports hasn't been met, why don't they initiate a legal challenge?

Pangurban

What the hell are you on Gael. What has Eddie Mc Grady got to do with this debate. Who are the Down men attacking Greenan. For gods sake man, take your own advice and sober up.

Billys Boots

QuoteMichael Greenan looks out for Michael Greenan, end of.

I think, with reference to this guy's record, that this is a ploy to put himself in the picture for a run at the Presidency for the next term.  I'd be inclined to agree with the Cavan lads assessment of Mr. Greenan - after all, they should know him better than the rest of us.

I'd be inclined to think that this is rabble rousing of the very worst kind, the kind he's in no position to act upon, and has no intention of acting upon.

And, as chairman of the Ulster Council, if Greenan is not responsible for the poor state of affairs in relation to Ulster Hurling, then I'd like to understand who is.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

neilthemac

I read through the first two pages, but got tired of all the shite being spouted here

Basically, I was in favour of Croke Park being opened to the FAI and IRFU to facilitate them (while we made lots of €€€€ from them), while Landsdowne Road was being developed

After watching the Irish Rugby team stroll into Croker for another training session on Thursday, it has tipped my view on opening the stadium issue. I am not in favour of any more games being allowed in there

Why do they get to train in Croker for a few hours when many a county team (including Roscommon minors) have been limited to begging for a paltry 30 minutes familiarisation session the week leading up to a big game? I would guess our old friend Peter McKenna is behind some of this - another man with an ego

Grennan sounds like a dinosaur, the sort of fella who feels he is on a one-man mission to save the GAA and mould it to his warped image of what the GAA should be...

So I say, let them have their few games in Croke Park, but after that, pull the plug. Its our stadium and i'd prefer to keep it that way

magpie seanie

Mike - Look what I said again, there's a clue in it...

QuoteIt amazes me how its ok to fire vitriolic abuse a GAA officials who put in massive hours for little or no reward but players are beyond reproach

Kelly's presidency was designed to land himself a job like the one he got for selling the pup to us. I and many like me saw this and didn't trust him. We have been proved right in most of the worries we were poo-poo'ed (or worse) for having. So don't try to take the moral high ground.

Anyway, its not going to change anything. I still think though that its worth pointing out that the rules (that were voted for by over two/thirds majority as we keep being reminded) are being broken. Democracy my arse.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 27, 2007, 07:59:43 PM
Democracy my arse.

You'd no problem with democracy as I recall, when the no vote previously won by a hairs breadth, on the basis of a show of hands (not counted), where delegates mandated by their clubs to vote yes turned and made a personal decision to vote no, where delegates mandated to vote yes just happened to need to run to the loo at the most inopportune moment!? No fuss then!

Now you're pouring over the minutiae to see some form of wording that can deem the recent opening of Croke Park as technically out of order! Catch yourself on! I sure as hell hope you put as much effort into your Club at home, as you do arguing such a bankrupt case here!

Reference the issue of Sean Kelly, he has been the subject of verbal abuse here that has been vitriolic in the extreme - once famously referred to as a w****r   >:(.

I have challenged you about that severals time on this board, to the extent that I am now in the same boat as Wobbler - I was added to your 'list'.

Doesn't matter if you answer or not - I know you read it and I know you understand my point!   ;)