"GAA has sold out on its principles by opening Croke Park" - Ulster chairman

Started by AbbeySider, January 26, 2007, 01:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turfsmoke

I think Greenan was right at the time, is right now and will be proved to be right in the future.

I for one was amazed to see the rugby people getting FIVE training outings in the stadium when GAA teams have the greatest of difficulty getting even one - and our ladies apparently are having problems getting in at all this year.

The motion to let the others in was on the basis of Landsdowne being closed for redeveleopment, ie when the wrecking ball would have moved in, NOT being closed just so that they could apply for planning permission to rebuild it.

Another part of the bargain at the time was that the new "national stadium" at Landsdowne could cater for gaelic games. That turned out to be another of the pups in the litter we were sold. And as for Tallaght?

behind the wire

stephenite, just online now.
i just think that once the fai and irfu get into croker they may be happy to stay. its an amazing stadium, 3rd largest in europe, much better than the other two organisations are ever likely to achieve.
i was in headquarter last friday and took the croker tour again. there were 5 welsh guys on it, i think they were rugby officials. they were astounded at how good our stadium was and almost refused to believe that we are all amateurs. i felt proud to be a gaa member. our amatuer ethos is something we must all be proud of!
the welsh men were highly respectful of everything gaa and could identify with the ethos of our sport i.e. no segregation at matches. i'll say it again, i have no problem with helping out the rugby authorities. but i think soccer are scroungers and it will be interesting to see the level of respect shown by soccer supporters towards our facilities. i am not anti soccer, i have been known to play a bit, but i dont think it will fit in with the ethos of croker.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

muppet

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 29, 2007, 09:27:57 AM
I said:
I have seen it at Bord nA nOg level for years where potentially great footballers have left GAA to pursue other sports.

Muppet said:
The O'Byrne cup today had 7,000 at it. Mayo v Sligo IT had 3,000 at it. That's the warm up competitions for the warm up competition. The paranoia is astonishing.

Its not paranoia muppet. Im my early 20's. When I was U-10 we got to a Connaught Semi final community games and we had over 25 players on the panel. Today just two players are left from that whole panel that are playing either senior of junior for our club.

How can you say its paranoia when the reason for the dropout of players is because they went playing soccer?

The paranoia is astonishing? More like you ignorance. Dont try and tell me that im paranoid when im speaking from experience.

If you think that any sport will carry U-10 squad numbers of 25 all the way to senior then maybe you are the one who is ignorant. The vast majority of kids will try their hands at sports so you will always get high numbers at that age. I serious doubt if all your 24 fellow U-10s are playing serious soccer now. Are you talking about indoor which hardly counts?

Do you think you are the only experienced person here at the age of 25? I'm in my late 30's so please don't patronise me with your experience.   
MWWSI 2017

An Gaeilgoir

Couldnt agree more muppet. As i said earlier the opening of Croke park will not stop lads going off and playing other sports, that is life. The G.A.A is still number one in this country despite the doom and gloom and come next may/June and the start of the championship this will be forgotten.Its time to be proud of croke park and show it to the world.

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on January 29, 2007, 09:59:49 AM
If you think that any sport will carry U-10 squad numbers of 25 all the way to senior then maybe you are the one who is ignorant. The vast majority of kids will try their hands at sports so you will always get high numbers at that age. I serious doubt if all your 24 fellow U-10s are playing serious soccer now. Are you talking about indoor which hardly counts?

Do you think you are the only experienced person here at the age of 25? I'm in my late 30's so please don't patronise me with your experience.   

Speaking from personal experience is hardly being patronising, Muppet.
(if you want patronising or condescending read your own signature)

Im not arguing that those lads are still playing soccer but they did leave the club to play soccer down through the years in Bord nA nOg.
For the most part they were playing for 3-4 Mayo soccer clubs. You cant criticise me for speaking from what I know to be facts and personal experience when I see my own friends leave GAA.

And I have seen teams in my GAA club and other GAA clubs that managed to keep lads together all the way to U-21 where at least 12 of them were playing together at U-10 so its not impossible. Stop nit-picking. We are gone way off the topic at this stage.

And In fairness I did say you were ignorant but I retract that.

It was a bit strong but at the same time you seem staunch supporter of FAI and remarked I was paranoid.

thewobbler

Abbeysider, it isn't soccer or rugby that stopped these lads playing Gaelic football.

There are two things that generally see lads leave the GAA:
- One is the pyramid structure of all GAA clubs. 10+ fellas graduate from the minor ranks each year, but only 15 people in that entire club can start for the seniors every week.
- The other is that at senior club level, Gaelic football requires a huge amount of dedication, and most people in this world either don't have the time or don't have the interest to meet the standards required.

Regarding your under-10 team, if 12 fellas from that side had went on to become dyed in the wool GAA players, then 12 other lads from your Parish from outside your age group would now be doing very little in terms of sport apart from some of them dabbling in soccer.

AbbeySider

Quote from: thewobbler on January 29, 2007, 10:50:06 AM
- One is the pyramid structure of all GAA clubs. 10+ fellas graduate from the minor ranks each year, but only 15 people in that entire club can start for the seniors every week.

I said twice down through the years in Bord nA nOg. Bord nA nOg runs from U-10 to Minor. We lost players long before minor.

Quote from: thewobbler on January 29, 2007, 10:50:06 AM
Regarding your under-10 team, if 12 fellas from that side had went on to become dyed in the wool GAA players, then 12 other lads from your Parish from outside your age group would now be doing very little in terms of sport apart from some of them dabbling in soccer.

I agree. I dont really mind what young people are playing so long as they are playing something. Thats not my point at all.

ONeill

Greenan has a point. This September Croke Park opens its gates to the World Seafood Congress. Even though we'll see a fine exhibition dedicated to the theme of 'Innovation in the Seafood Industry' where exhibitors will showcase the latest technologies and trends in new product and process development, quality assurance and labelling, it's just not GAA. Partitionist shame.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Delegates react as a speaker inadvertently utters the word 'change' at congress.

deiseach

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

realredhandfan

forkinknife