Is all the legislation from GAA HQ a good idea?

Started by AbbeySider, January 26, 2007, 01:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Personally I think all this legislation and red-tape coming from GAA HQ is too much.

It smacks of personal vendettas to reform the game and copy other sports, and leave some sort of legacy to look back on; or to 'stamp their mark'.

Does our game need all these reforms?

Are the reasons to reform for the good of the game or is it to satisfy ego's?

Bosses' favourite 'A N Other' could end up costing counties €1,000
Friday January 26th 2007

A N OTHER may have his uses in the psychological warfare deployed by some GAA managers but he could end up costing County Boards €1,000 if he makes an appearance in All-Ireland finals or semi-finals.

The versatile character will attract the highest rate of fines for the GAA's new match regulations which will come into effect at the start of the National Leagues.

Counties are being notified that if A N Other is included on the squad list for the official programmes, they will be levied €1,000. They will also be hit for a €500 fine if they fail to provide their teams to the GAA at least six days before the game.

However, that doesn't mean that the public will have early access to the teams as the GAA's demand for the lists is for programme purposes only and will not be released to the media.

No fewer than 15 match regulations are included on the list for which fines for breaching the regulations will apply. Banishing mangers/selectors to the stand for sideline infringements will also apply.

The fines range from €1,000 down to €200, with the majority being in the €400-€700 bracket. The new regulations were drafted after consultation with the team managers, all of whom will be effected by the stipulation that states they must remain between the two 45 metre lines and will not be allowed onto the pitch under any circumstances.

Instead, a designated 'runner' will be allowed on to the pitch to issue instructions. However, he will only be permitted to enter during a break in play which has been defined as when the ball is out of play prior to a kick-out for line balls. Free kicks will not be classified as breaks in play. The fine for breaking the regulation on sideline behaviour is €700, while the guilty party could also be banned to the stands for subsequent games.

Fines are not a satisfactory way of punishing offenders but with the added threat of banishment to the stands, the GAA are confident the new regulations will be effective.

"These are being introduced to improve match day presentation which had become a bit sloppy in recent seasons," said GAA President Nickey Brennan, who is in Dubai for tomorrow's Vodafone All-Star football game.

He stressed that the regulations would be strictly enforced from the start of the Leagues and no warnings will apply. "Counties are being told there will be no period of grace. The regulations are here now and it's up to everybody to familiarise themselves with the details," said Brennan.

©2006 Irish Independent

Brennan hits out at 'unworkable' proposals claim
21 January 2007

GAA President Nickey Brennan has hit out at critics who say proposals to implement new disciplinary procedures at inter-county level would be unworkable at club level.

Attempts made recently to bring the idea of accumulative yellow cards and the sin back on the agenda have been declared as unworkable at club level by some officials.

"I don't think people should muddy the water between an inter-county game and a club match - they are completely separate scenarios and we shouldn't muddy the waters in that it involves club matches as well. They are two separate entities.

©2006 Lynn Publications

thewobbler

It is, in my opinion, mostly a load of old nonsense.

Surely it's better that a slot is left as AN Other, rather than name an injury doubt in that position? I mean, if you arrive a few minutes after the throw-in, you can derive from the AN Other that one of the lads wearing a number over 15 has taken that position. Using the new rules, you'll have to go bothering people to find out if the no.19 started the game, or came on for the number 12 who pulled up injured before you arrived.

Also, can anyone tell me why a runner is allowed on the field, but a manager is not? I can't grasp the logic in that.

johnneycool

Quote from: thewobbler on January 26, 2007, 02:03:47 PM

Also, can anyone tell me why a runner is allowed on the field, but a manager is not? I can't grasp the logic in that.

You'd kinda hope that as the name suggests the 'runner' could actually run. Now if Big Joe or Babs Keating were running on and off, I'd suggest that their excursions onto the field of play would take longer than a designated runner.

Being picky, but a lot of hurling pitches don't have the 45m lines marked out, Can the managers then patrol down as far as the 21??

whatever

Quote from: thewobbler on January 26, 2007, 02:03:47 PM

on this issue, what stops the manager nominating himself as one of the "runners".

AbbeySider

Here is more of it....

GAA ban jersey swapping
26 January 2007

The GAA will no longer allow league or championship-winning hurlers or footballers receive their medals unless they're wearing their own team's colours.

In recent years, players have tended to swap jerseys after finals but now they will only be allowed to do a swap once the presentation ceremony is completed as GAA President Nickey Brennan explained:

"One thing that was annoying when a team had won a game was when some players went up to the presentation area wearing the opposition's jerseys," said Brennan.

"It's particularly embarrassing if a sponsor has gone to the bother of putting up the bucks for a team and then seeing the opposition on the podium when the trophy is being presented - and it's happened."

©2006 Lynn Publications

Its nothing short of Bullshit if you ask me. They are completely making up rules as they go along.
The biggest mark of respect GAA players can give to each other is swapping a jersey. Players should feel free to do so.

Im getting really angry with all the legislation coming into the game. This recent one is to make the big businesses happy and will have no positive effect.
What about the players happiness? Who cares how the businesses feel about it?

If the businesses in question can be that stuck up about it then why should the GAA really care?

Why is it an issue? Is Brennan being approached by the sponsors?

I hope the players swap jerseys if they want to and not conform to all this shite.

Here is the scenario:
You are marking one of the greatest in the game, anyone from Peter Canavan to Ciaran McDonald. They go to swap a jersey as a mark of respect that you may have had a good game or ye had a great battle, and instead you are supposed have the presence of mind not to swap jerseys?

"Oh we better not Ciaran in case they dont give us our medals?"

WTF ??

Bud Wiser

I agree, leave swapping jerseys alone, it's the only way the Dub's will have a jersey representing Arnotts on the winning podium this year anyway with someone from another county wearing it.

laughinpaddy

"It?s particularly embarrassing if a sponsor has gone to the bother of putting up the bucks for a team and then seeing the opposition on the podium when the trophy is being presented - and it?s happened."

I can see Brennans point, a lot of money is put into county teams regarding sponsorship, so to show your sponsor while collecting your medals is the least they deserve.
Whats wrong with swapping them in the changing room like other sports such as soccer, rugby etc. do or even after the presantation when the opposing team are usually still on the field as a mark of respect?

I ain't gettin on no plane!

magpie seanie

I suppose lads could agree to swap jerseys in the dressingrooms after all formalities have been completed.

youbetterbelieveit

most of the proposals arent too extreme, the jersey swapping is only sensible.

Pangurban

I dont think Medals are presented on the Hogan Stand, following the game, at least i have never seen it happen. Presentations usually take place at Co. Functions, usually weeks later

Bud Wiser

It would do them better to have a presentation for Runners Up or defeated All-Ireland finalists on the day instead of leaving them sitting on their arse in the middle of Croke Park after putting in a full year of hard slog to get there.

paddypastit

Bud - you obviously never lost a final!!!!

Can't think of a worse idea after losing than having to traipse up the steps to get a medal for losing
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word