GAA should open Gaelic Grounds 'or else' - Limerick Councillor

Started by Tubberman, January 16, 2007, 04:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

QuoteLimerick city councillors have called on the GAA to open up the Gaelic Grounds while Thomond Park undergoes a 40 million euros facelift. Councillor John Gilligan (Ind) said it would be a dreadful indictment of all the people of Ireland if Munster and Leinster secured home fixtures in the knock-out stages of the Heineken Cup and their matches had to be played abroad.

"They are good problems for rugby to have, but preferably for Munster's matches, they should be able to stay within Munster," Gilligan said. Fellow councillor Pat Kennedy (Ind) agreed with Mr. Gilligan's comments. "Every effort should be made to make sure there is an appropriate stadium here."
Mr. Kennedy said the Mayor of Limerick "should endeavour to make sure the Gaelic Grounds on the Ennis Road is made available on a special occasion. Rugby is a very universal sport and if other organisations don't acknowledge this, in the future, they could find themselves on the wrong side," he declared.

What a tosser! Obviously it would be preferable to see Leinster & Munster play their games at home (if they even get a home QF). But how is this the responsibility of the GAA!?
Surely any criticism should be aimed at the IRFU for their failure to have any contingency plans available for provincial rugby while Landsdowne and Thomond Park are closed.
But no, some people just expect that if they shout long and loud enough, those gombeens in the GAA will eventually give in.
And what's that threat about in the last line!? If the GAA don't open their ground "they could find themselves on the wrong side".
Ignorant fool who has no grasp on the reality of the situation. Neither Limerick Co Board, nor the Munster Council has the right to make any of their grounds available to rugby even if they wanted to. Fools like this guy should actually try looking into the facts before opening their gobs.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Donagh

ziggysego

Cheeky bastards. We've given a lot to the IRFU, more than was required. If they carry on with this "or else" bullshit, close the door to them in 2008!
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

One thing that's struck me is the exemplary attitude of the rugby people of Ireland - officials, players  and supporters, in public and in private, towards the GAA in the aftermath of allowing them to use Croke Park for their internationals. They've offered nothing but appreciation and understanding - no demands, escalation, 'open it up for the Heineken Cup', 'open EnnisRoad/Thurles/Killarney' etc. That stuff is only coming from the media and bandwaggoning gobshite local politicos.

And then there's the FAI.

Tubberman

In fairness, it's not the IRFU who are at this 'or else' shite. This was a Limerick councillor. The IRFU have actually issued a statement saying they completely understand the GAA position and they have no intention of asking for the use of any of their grounds.
It's loudmouths like this councillor eejit, and some of the media who are driving this  
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ziggysego

Quote from: Tubberman on January 16, 2007, 04:41:24 PM
The IRFU have actually issued a statement saying they completely understand the GAA position and they have no intention of asking for the use of any of their grounds.

In that case, I retract my previous statement.
Testing Accessibility

RedKnight

Was it not stated on the rugby show with Hook and Pope that if Munster got a home draw in the Heineken cup it would be played in munster second ground - Musgrave Park in cork, and that they deffinately wouldn't be taking it abroad. There was absolutely no mention of using any GAA facilities.

Gnevin

This guy is a fool but in fairness the IRFU have said  nothing and haven't asked for it . No doubt this  counciler has been a life long Munster fan since about last may   ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Six Inch Nail

I agree.  I was watching a rugby program before Christmas (I like rugby).  It was that one where Brent Pope and George Hook visited a rugby club in Tipp.  They were having a discussion about rugby issues in general and someone mentioned about Ireland playing in Croker.  Another panel member who looked familiar but I couldn't put a name to him said "sure why wouldn't we be allowed to play in it, didn't we pay for half of it".  I did well not to put my boot through the tele.  Gobshite!!

It sounds typical of the organisation skills of that setup that they decided to do up the two best rugby grounds in Ireland at the same time and leave themselves with no backup!  And then you have a spoon of a politician coming out and suggesting something like this after the debate there was within the GAA to open Croker.  This boy might be no fool, he knows that Limerick is a massive rugby area and to speak in the name of rugby could mean endless amounts of votes.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

neilthemac

i was on the Yes side for the 'open up Croker' debate, but now I am firmly on the No side

It is Rugby and Soccers own fault that they have no decent grounds to accommodate their big games, and we shouldn't be facilitating them making even bigger profits from games by making the larger GAA grounds available to them to rent.

So I say: take Croke Park back after 2007 and leave them both (IRFU & FAI) swinging in the wind

ziggysego

Quote from: neilthemac on January 16, 2007, 04:53:26 PM
i was on the Yes side for the 'open up Croker' debate, but now I am firmly on the No side

It is Rugby and Soccers own fault that they have no decent grounds to accommodate their big games, and we shouldn't be facilitating them making even bigger profits from games by making the larger GAA grounds available to them to rent.

So I say: take Croke Park back after 2007 and leave them both (IRFU & FAI) swinging in the wind

I'm the other way round to you neilthemac
Testing Accessibility

magpie seanie

Funny that the two loudmouthed fools are both independents.

botman

They can play in Timbuktu for all I care - egg chasing bastards the lot of them.

If they put some of their profits into grounds years ago, rather than lining their own pockets they wouldn't have this problem.

Keep them at it.

AZOffaly

Yeah. The topic needs to be changed as well, i.e. it wasn't the Limerick Mayor who said this.

Also regarding rugby people saying, 'why wouldn't we play in Croker, we paid for half of it'. Well that might be true in a sense. There is a huge crossover in rugby and GAA supporters down here. Members of Newport RFC for example, will head to Thurles when their game is over to watch Tipp and Limerick or whatever. There are also a huge number who play both. Any Munster fan I know would also be a big Kerry/Limerick/Tipperary/ahem Offaly fan as well. So to a certain extent when they say they paid for Croker, they are right. They paid for it, along with the hundreds of thousands of other GAA followers throughout the land.

I don't think they are making a huge political statement.

haze

three of the lads i live just presumed that munster and leinster would play in croker, when i told them that i'd be very surprised if it happened they were shocked-  they think the GAA are acting disgracefully, but whats worse is the three of them would be GAA supporters first and foremost so i can only imaging all the ranting and raving that will go on in pubs all across Ireland by people who love a good old chance to bash the GAA

The problem is too many people, Gaels included, underestimated the significance of the GAA's gesture and now think its a free for all