NIE connection

Started by Aristo 60, October 15, 2018, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

I'm waiting on NIE to connect a new build house to grid.

Application made NIE in April '18. So almost a 7 month wait so far and I've heard about a guy who is waiting a year!

House isn't isolated or away from existing line etc.

Anybody any experience? Is this the norm?

Thanks

trueblue1234

Got it done 2 years ago and had it done in about 3-4 months from memory. Have you the site all prepared for them? Trench dug etc?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Aristo 60

Thanks - all prep work done.

Has anyone more current  :P experience  ?

Pascal Brennan

Quote from: Aristo 60 on October 15, 2018, 04:21:53 PM
Thanks - all prep work done.

Has anyone more current  :P experience  ?

NIE and all the UK utilities get paid via a number of avenues for by the no doubt extortionate price they are hitting you with. For every complaint that they get logged against them it can cost them up to £10k from the regulator. The GB and NI  energy market has 1 big pot to pay all the utilities throughout and the market from. They work out who get what via customer minutes lost, customer minutes interrupted, lost time injuries etc etc. UKPN and Western Power are the two best Utillitues according to these so get paid the most. UKPN have spent a fortune on automation (smart grids that switch around the faults), interconnections and most importantly their call Centre and dispatch staff. If you make a complaint they will go way beyond expectations to get you to rescind said complaint. This I have seen to involve paying for family meals or cinema tickets for children, vouchers etc. they do this because it is much cheaper to pay for small stuff that people are amazed at the gesture than it is to take the hit on the complaint. Western Power immediately dispatch generators to faults before sending engineers to carry out repairs because they lose more money fault finding rather than just getting supply restored. Once supply is restored they get as long as the want (normal time no overtime) to carry out repairs. So simple answer is formally complain, to NIE, then the regulator. Don't be fobbed off by them.

Alternatively the market is being opened up to contractors who you can hire direct to do the work. Would work out much cheaper and you would likely get a better job done if you have any notion of what you want them to do

Good luck

giveherlong

Not sure NIE are as tightly regulated as the UK?
I could be wrong but they def have a different Regulator

Put your complaint into them https://www.uregni.gov.uk

Also put complaint into consumer council NI

Rois

Quote from: giveherlong on October 16, 2018, 07:53:20 PM
Not sure NIE are as tightly regulated as the UK?
I could be wrong but they def have a different Regulator

Put your complaint into them https://www.uregni.gov.uk

Also put complaint into consumer council NI

Aristo60 has a uni friend who works for the utility regulator...or maybe you've already tried that route?

Aristo 60

I have a friend? Or you have a friend? We have a friend in common? I'm lost. Pm me sure. Thanks!