5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

tonto1888

Quote from: Eire90 on December 06, 2020, 05:36:39 PM
sure nothing will happen as long bandwagoners go to games if people want change boycott matches tell them you not going anymore.

So people who go to support their counties are bandwagoners now? I go to as many Armagh games as I am able it and will keep on doing so until the day I die. Dublin winning Sam every year won't change rhat

Milltown Row2

Quote from: greatpoint on December 06, 2020, 05:39:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 05:31:10 PM
So if we look at the money and population and player participation which Dublin has over all counties in all codes why haven't they won hurling?

The hurling tradition in Dublin is not in any way comparable to that of football, hurling doesn't draw anywhere near the numbers that football does. Did you really not think of this before posting?

So it's tradition? Right there's me thinking it was the professional players and all the money given to to county from Croke that made Dublin better?

By the way, Dublin have 6 titles, more than Clare more than Wexford more than Galway more than Waterford and more than Offaly, those other traditional hurling counties
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 06:39:29 PM
So if we look at the money and population and player participation which Dublin has over all counties in all codes why haven't they won hurling?

The hurling tradition in Dublin is not in any way comparable to that of football, hurling doesn't draw anywhere near the numbers that football does. Did you really not think of this before posting?

So it's tradition? Right there's me thinking it was the professional players and all the money given to to county from Croke that made Dublin better?

By the way, Dublin have 6 titles, more than Clare more than Wexford more than Galway more than Waterford and more than Offaly, those other traditional hurling counties

Nearly all those titles were won with teams full of lads from out the country.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 06, 2020, 07:07:07 PM

I'm just giving you the stats, the nearly all and teams full of says enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Dublin hurlers were on a level with Antrim and Laois for 40+ years.
Since the €€€€as starting rolling in they've won Leinsters at 3 grades, a NHL and were a dodgy sending off away from the AIF in 2013(?).
Of the 39,000 registered GAA players in Dublin how many would be hurling only or primarily?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 07:12:34 PM

I'm just educating here beyond the stats on the page.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 06, 2020, 07:14:15 PM

Be interesting to see the link on that

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on December 06, 2020, 07:13:37 PM
Dublin hurlers were on a level with Antrim and Laois for 40+ years.
Since the €€€€as starting rolling in they've won Leinsters at 3 grades, a NHL and were a dodgy sending off away from the AIF in 2013(?).
Of the 39,000 registered GAA players in Dublin how many would be hurling only or primarily?

Not sure but it's a competitive dual county which unlike yours puts the same effort into both

galwayman

Well if anyone wants to actually discuss the game... you can be sure that unlike any other team this season - Mayo will certainly give the Dubs a game.
Whether or not they have enough to get over the line is the question.
I don't think there will be much in it either way. Mayo have improved since last year - 3 quality starters introduced in Mullin, McLoughlin and Conroy.
It has the makings of a quality final - weather permitting.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2020, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 06, 2020, 07:14:15 PM

Be interesting to see the link on that

I mean it's fairly common knowledge in hurling circles. Just the way it was at the time when transport links were poor. Lads living and working in Dublin wouldn't be commuting back to training down the country every week so many just played for Dublin.

Anyway it's off topic anyway for the football final thread.

lenny

Also Dublin were the best team in Leinster in 2013. If it was all to do with funding in the last decade or so they should surely have kicked on to be challenging for all irelands. In fact the reverse is true, all that funding has seen them go into reverse where they would now be the 4th best team in Leinster behind kilkenny, galway and wexford.

WhoDat

hmmm. i think this will actually be an interesting game. tipp had a lot of joy on that mayo full backline with high balls as they had a height advantage up front, but i don't see dublin doing that. they like to walk it in with pace, athleticism and movement. but there is actually a lot of pace in that mayo team. the quickness with which some of the mayo forward play was happening today...they were leaving tipp for dust at times. the new lad conroy has an x factor that's been missing from mayo's forward line in previous years and o'connor is looking as good as i've ever seen him. there's a new dynamic to their attack that they really haven't had before...maybe the ciaran mcdonald effect?

a concern i'd have for mayo is that tipp were having a lot of joy in midfield. i don't think mayo's midfield is as formidable as it was circa 2014. tipp cleared out the mayo midfield plenty today, especially in the second half, which gave them a platform for those goal chances they were creating. brian fenton and james mccarthy could make hay there the next day. will mayo have a plan for that? i felt their tackling was immense today - the turnovers they were winning up in their own forward line even were phenomenal. there isn't a ball they won't contest in some way or another. maybe that's the strategy? dublin might win in the middle, but mayo to go hard in the tackle and turn over everything they can? or let dublin have the short kickout and turn them over in their own full and half back lines?

Cunny Funt

Anyone writing Mayo off could well be left surprised again. Horan gets his match up right this will be a competitive final. I'd expect Mayo to be more tuned in defensively, today they took on Tipperary in a shootout and put little focus on their defence.

greatpoint

You asked why Dublin don't have the same success in hurling as they do in football, I provided a valid explanation. You're either trolling or just a moron.

larryin89

That was the case in football too in the early years , in fact it be argued as there no such thing as Dublin gaa , it's all built on culchies bar the heffo era contingent of anti culchie brigade
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .