Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 03, 2023, 11:07:29 AM
There is probably a transition period coming up, it was a scatty enough league and the facts are Tyrone played 5 championship matches this year and won only one.

People got giddy over beating a Donegal squad who were in disarray this year, Saturday was a hammering and could have been more than 12 points.

Played 6.

Won 2 (Armagh & Donegal) , Drew 1 (Westmeath), Lost 3 (Monaghan, Galway, Kerry)

BennyHarp

I wonder would Ciaran Meenagh and Paddy Tally make a compatible management team?
That was never a square ball!!

God14

Quote from: referee on July 02, 2023, 09:20:03 PM
I think if Tyrone are serious they go all out to get M O R

100%.

I cant think of one good reason why we wouldnt approach him.

And there isnt a better candidate out there, realistically.

O'Rourke as Manager, Porter as Coach. Would like to see someone like Enda McGinley in on the ticket too.

rrhf

I said before the game that we would not know where the players are until after the Kerry match. There was so much hype or false hope in the county that we felt we were better than we were, the performances did not lie.
2021 was a phenomenal All Ireland win but it softened us up and realised lifetime ambitions that many did not think they were going to achieve despite being there for many seasons. I would take the last 2 average years for that one Sam. I think the team picked was as good as we had to offer except for a couple. I think we were eventually blown off the pitch by a much better group of footballers at this stage in their career. Certainly not 2 years previously. Kerry were superb, we were found out, all our weaknesses in playing style and player profiles were exposed, as a bad day out in Croke Park tends to do, and I think all involved in making 21 happen, must be given time to consider how things can be changed, freshened up and who can offer something in the future.  People are talking management as is inevitable, people are talking players as is inevitable, however it can be the jolt they all need to see what they can do. I would be in favour of the existing management taking this experience and bringing in whatever now coaching help they need. They run the rule over the club season and go for new trials based on key performers this year.  If current management step aside, an all Ireland capable experience is lost. Let them propose a new way forward as they are best placed to do so and one thing is for sure, they will only do what they feel is in the best interests of Tyrone football.     

An Watcher

I hear where you're coming from but at the same time I don't want to be like some counties holding on to unsuccessful managers for too long

Fuzzman

Good post rrhf and agree with a lot of that.
It's interesting that both Mickey Harte and D&L both won an AI in their first year.
As Dooher said himself after the 21 final, a lot of that team had been together for a long time before and had got to a final in 2018 and a few semis.
So maybe the new management bounce coupled with experience and a lot of hard work, huge hunger and good teamwork we went from a top four team to winning it outright.
We definitely rode our luck along the way and surprised Kerry that day. We suddenly started scoring goals and benefited from Mayo not playing with a heavy blanket in the final.

Since then though I think a lot of the hunger was satisfied (even the fans backed off a lot) and there was never the same drive or passion that we saw from several players in 2021. That high octane workrate was gone and you could see that on Saturday although part of that was probably playing 3 weeks on the trot which was their own fault again.

I think this group of players feel the achieved what they wanted and it is a HUGE ask to go through that year on year as we saw with so many leaving the panel to either travel or play club football or just live their normal lives.

Every time we have won the AI, Kerry have won it the year after which I think speaks volumes for how much it means to them.
O'Connor went out of his way this time to bring in external men to get the best backroom team possible and they certainly got their defence sorted out last year and again on Saturday. We couldn't get the ball into our FF line at all and they turned us over time and time again like we did to them in 2021. I think a lot of us including a lot of media pundits believed the hype that Tyrone get under Kerry's skin and we raise our game massively. Well we didn't do that on Sat and haven't really done it all year.

I think Kerry and Dublin are at a different level and we did get there in 2021 but we've fallen badly back down again.
I would have been happy enough getting to a semi this year but alas we met an angry hurt team that owed us one and put us back in our place. As someone said they have won 4 of the last 5 championship meetings so maybe we need to realise that we're not their bogey team any more.

The main thing that disappointed me about this year was the lack of direction or system we seemed to play. It often seemed very sporadic and the lack of long high ball into the FF line even though we rotated the big men in there. The future looks hopeful with the Canavans, Dazza there a while more, hopefully McShane coming back to some form, McGleenan, Cush and the other U20 lads getting more chances.

ClubScene13

The list of names from club football that could be brought in wouldn't be massive off the top of my head which is a concern. A lot of the best players in the county have already been in and out of squads. Squad looked very thin this year all of a sudden. I hope we can regroup quickly but it's been a second lacklustre season on the bounce.

rrhf

The big but in change from players will be the return to clubs of unplayed or low played panellists. There is a belief that players learn their Trade  at club senior football level and need club football to stay fresh..

Jerome

First thing that needs to happen, no matter who is in charge, is that Tyrone coaches shouldn't be double jobbing with clubs. Tyrone at times this year didn't look sharp, looked jaded. Energy comes from coaching, if coaches burnt out due to clubs then it affects players. 100% focus needs to be on county, players are asked to remove themselves from clubs during county season so why is it acceptable for coaches not to do the same?

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Jerome on July 04, 2023, 12:49:35 PM
First thing that needs to happen, no matter who is in charge, is that Tyrone coaches shouldn't be double jobbing with clubs. Tyrone at times this year didn't look sharp, looked jaded. Energy comes from coaching, if coaches burnt out due to clubs then it affects players. 100% focus needs to be on county, players are asked to remove themselves from clubs during county season so why is it acceptable for coaches not to do the same?

Totally agree with this.

marty34

I thought club cloaches would be with county until they're out of championship...then go back into club coaching?

Mikhailov

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 04, 2023, 01:22:45 PM

Totally agree with this.

Agree totally on this. In fact, I believe the coaches have got off lightly in view of the season we have just had. The blame is pointed at Logan & Dooher but the coaches have to accept responsibilities also - they plan the sessions, do the coaching, the conditioning....

Onthe40

there should be a overhaul anyway..the backroom team has been there 3 years..should be natural attrition t this stage

Stan

Two great semi-finals over the weekend. How far behind are we? Two really bad years football for Tyrone...what next?

clarshack

Quote from: Stan on July 16, 2023, 06:12:51 PM
Two great semi-finals over the weekend. How far behind are we? Two really bad years football for Tyrone...what next?

In terms of footballing ability we aren't that far behind but a massive change in attitude is required.
Another season of going through the motions would be unacceptable and if that means dropping guys from the panel like McGeary, Burns, O'Neill and Sludden who all seem content with 1 All-Ireland then so be it.