Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 31, 2018, 10:58:15 AM
Quote from: WT4E on May 31, 2018, 10:26:41 AM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 31, 2018, 09:15:20 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 31, 2018, 09:09:22 AM
Quote from: take_yer_points on May 31, 2018, 09:05:13 AM
Gavin Devlin biting back at Sean Cavanagh in the Irish News today

"We've been very, very close in recent years and we didn't get over the line to win an All-Ireland. Maybe that's what was missing, that calibre of captaincy"

Oh dear.

Washing dirty linen in public. Tyrone are a shambles - I often wonder do other counties have as much internal strife as Tyrone.

Check out this snowflake.  FFS its just people disagreeing with each other on the topic of football, its hardly world war 3 now is it?  Makes great reading and nice to see some real thoughts of people on the matter.  Least its something interesting to read.

Exactly nice to hear some real comments as opposed to the usual jim gavin/ Harte boring cliches.

Interestingly did anyone hear wooly parkinsons podcast when he played his interview with Harte after the Monaghan game - he asked him about Cavanaghs comments and Harte said everyones entitled to their opinion and thats all I'll say on that - when it went back to Parkinson in the studio he said he didn't push the question as he got the Mickey Harte death stare which he's experienced before and thought better of it!  ;D

It's all very well being an interesting pundit but I don't understand why Sean feels the need to target his own county. If you look at all of the other GAA pundits on TV I can't think of any others who go out of their way to do this. I'm thinking of the likes of Tomas O'Se, Ciaran Whelan, Spillane etc who all promote their own county or would even be accused of bias in favour of their own county. This doesn't stop O'Se and Whelan in particular from being insightful pundits.

They also talk about the cute Kerry 'hoorism' whereby their various pundits and columnists will, before a big game, either pile pressure on Kerry's opponents or attempt to take pressure off Kerry in some way, or in the event of some controversy they will always come out in defence of the Kerry man. I think we can all agree that Tyrone don't get the easiest time from the RTE pundits in general and I just think it would have been good for Sean to use some of his influence in this way or to put a positive spin on the team and highlight some of the quality players.

I also think it is possible to offer reasoned and constructive analysis of your own counties performance and where they could improve without resorting to the kind of digs that Cavanagh is getting in. With regards to people saying this is all down to a long standing grievance against Harte, this probably is the case but Sean's words are harming the team as a whole and his brother is obviously included in this.

Sorry just to clarify - I was talking about real comments from Devlin not Cavanagh - I personally think Cavanagh was wrong and is not a good pundit and is only being controversial to line his pockets - Sean was a first class player but I always thought he was more selfish than others.

I think the best pundits on RTE from Tyrone where McGuigan and Jordan but the relationship between RTE and Tyrone is so bad they will be more than happy to have the ex captain on every week saying controversial things about his own county - what a legend... hey?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 31, 2018, 09:15:20 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 31, 2018, 09:09:22 AM
Quote from: take_yer_points on May 31, 2018, 09:05:13 AM
Gavin Devlin biting back at Sean Cavanagh in the Irish News today

"We've been very, very close in recent years and we didn't get over the line to win an All-Ireland. Maybe that's what was missing, that calibre of captaincy"

Oh dear.

Washing dirty linen in public. Tyrone are a shambles - I often wonder do other counties have as much internal strife as Tyrone.

Check out this snowflake.  FFS its just people disagreeing with each other on the topic of football, its hardly world war 3 now is it?  Makes great reading and nice to see some real thoughts of people on the matter.  Least its something interesting to read.

I don't think you got the point lad. But yes, it is interesting reading.

Thebigdog

So after a morning of debate on the matter, we've all come to the conclusion that it is greedy, selfish Sean Cavanagh s fault Tyrone will struggle to the super 8s! Someone hand me the oxygen mask I'm falling over laughing. The best thing Colm Cavanagh can do now in solidarity with his brother is walk out of this road to nowhere. Harte out.

Snapchap

It seems Sean Cavanagh does not do irony. Barely a week after his criticism of Tyrone's defensive system, he is now eulogising the Paddy Tallys influence in Galway ober on the GAA website:

"Everyone has this beautiful idea where football has to be thrown back to the 90s where it'll be 15 v 15 and it'll be shootouts every day. It's just not the way football is played nowadays...It's easy to throw stones and abuse these defensive shapes but they're defensive shapes that work....It's all about winning matches".

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Snapchap on May 31, 2018, 11:51:48 AM
It seems Sean Cavanagh does not do irony. Barely a week after his criticism of Tyrone's defensive system, he is now eulogising the Paddy Tallys influence in Galway ober on the GAA website:

"Everyone has this beautiful idea where football has to be thrown back to the 90s where it'll be 15 v 15 and it'll be shootouts every day. It's just not the way football is played nowadays...It's easy to throw stones and abuse these defensive shapes but they're defensive shapes that work....It's all about winning matches".

Was Sean's criticism not the lack of flexibility in the defensive system employed by Tyrone?  Tyrone only knew how to play one system and didn't have a plan B or have the ability to change it up?  I think Gavin Devlin has made a huge error for acknowledging Cavanagh's comments but then going further to question Sean's contribution to to panel during his time as captain.  As some posters already have said.  A penny for Colm Cavanagh's thoughts?  Our only real leader left on the panel has potentially been side-lined by inappropriate comments from Gavin Devlin.  If anything had to be said I think Mickey had the right approach, Sean is entitled to his opinion and leave it at that.  They have a job to do with the current squad that his comments may have compromised.
Living the dream!!!

Fuzzman

Quote from: Archie53 on May 28, 2018, 04:42:44 PM
Morgan McKernan Mc Namee Hampsey Mc Nabb Matty Brennan McClure Mcnulty Burns Petey Sludden McAliskey Cavanagh O'Neil. Dare to win early ball in  ;D

I would LOVE to see someone like Colm Cavanagh tried in their at FF at least at some stage of the game just to give us a new focus or different tactic. Can you imagine Sparky and Lee Brennan feeding off him so Colm doesn't even have to turn his man but just leave it off. I dont mean of the Meath game of course as I know they're all injured.

Alas I fear though that Mickey is way to conservative and he's kinda backed into a corner now that he knows when (NOT IF) we lose this year the knives will be out for him again.

Also would be interesting to see Burns play at MF where he played for the U21s that year and I think CHB is Matties best position with someone covering him when he pushes forward.

In my eyes we're not gonna win Sam anyway so we should be trying to get the team into a good place this year and develop the new lads a bit further.

My wish list would be
1. Morgan needs to STOP hitting ANY FREES. No ifs or buts. He's kickouts are mostly good though.

2. Now that we're out of Ulster and can't do 3 in a row, should we forget about the blanket and go 6-2-6 and
    start encouraging forwards to take their man on rather than all this turn back and recycle the ball.

3. Teams see us set up with 9 defenders so then they mirror that and so the stage is set for a slog fest.
    The way we play is not encouraging forwards to take risks and play with freedom. Everything is so rehearsed
    and players are scared to make a mistake and tell Mickey what they really think. Will RoN be punished for his
    outburst the last day? I'm not  fan but he has to start the next day as we've so little others. Is Mulgrew fit?

4. We need some players to stand up and be leaders. Besides CC and maybe McCarron, who else do you see talking to the other players and shouting encouragement or roaring at others to wake up. So many players are passive and almost scared to rock the boat.

5. All good teams have a hard man or a dirty player. Philly McMahon, Johnny Cooper, Keegan, Higgins, Boyle.
    Can you name one player we have now like that. Everyone is so soft and scared to get a card. Mattie maybe.

6. I can't see McCarron staying around much longer so should we be using this qualifiers to give experience to
    young McKernan and HP McGeary. Why has Rory Brennan not saw more game time in the last few years. Any
    time I've watched him play he's been great.

7.  Will Mickey ever take Petey off if he's not playing well or being harassed so much that he's just not effective?

8.  Is Skeet back to himself or even better. He looked in great nick v the Farney fold and if he gets the right ball
     into him can do some damage

My starting 15 v Meath would be

Morgan
McKernan
McNamee
HP Sauce
R.Brennan
Hampsey
Meyler
Burns
Cathal McShane
Mulgrew
Sludden
Richie Donnelly
Skeet
Mattie - Has not been given a good chance at FF with decent ball kicked into him.
RoN

Have we any left foot free takers now?

Re Sean C. Has he not always been like this, where he shoots from the hip and often comes out with crazy lines.
IMHO he loves the limelight and always has and with a book on the way he knows the more controversy he stirs up the more of a frenzy people will have to buy the book.
This speaking out against the manager has all the hall marks of Roy Keane v Ferguson in my eyes.

The Trap

Zidane leaves Real Madrid as one of the club's most successful managers having won three Champions Leagues, two Fifa Club World Cups and one La Liga title.

"I've taken the decision to not continue next year as Real Madrid coach," Zidane told reporters.

"This is the right moment for everyone, it might seem a bit strange, but it had to be done for the good of everyone, the players, the club, and myself. This team must keep winning, and it needs a change after three years, another voice, another method of working."

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 31, 2018, 12:21:10 PM
Quote from: Archie53 on May 28, 2018, 04:42:44 PM
Morgan McKernan Mc Namee Hampsey Mc Nabb Matty Brennan McClure Mcnulty Burns Petey Sludden McAliskey Cavanagh O'Neil. Dare to win early ball in  ;D

I would LOVE to see someone like Colm Cavanagh tried in their at FF at least at some stage of the game just to give us a new focus or different tactic. Can you imagine Sparky and Lee Brennan feeding off him so Colm doesn't even have to turn his man but just leave it off. I dont mean of the Meath game of course as I know they're all injured.

Alas I fear though that Mickey is way to conservative and he's kinda backed into a corner now that he knows when (NOT IF) we lose this year the knives will be out for him again.

Also would be interesting to see Burns play at MF where he played for the U21s that year and I think CHB is Matties best position with someone covering him when he pushes forward.

In my eyes we're not gonna win Sam anyway so we should be trying to get the team into a good place this year and develop the new lads a bit further.

My wish list would be
1. Morgan needs to STOP hitting ANY FREES. No ifs or buts. He's kickouts are mostly good though.

2. Now that we're out of Ulster and can't do 3 in a row, should we forget about the blanket and go 6-2-6 and
    start encouraging forwards to take their man on rather than all this turn back and recycle the ball.

3. Teams see us set up with 9 defenders so then they mirror that and so the stage is set for a slog fest.
    The way we play is not encouraging forwards to take risks and play with freedom. Everything is so rehearsed
    and players are scared to make a mistake and tell Mickey what they really think. Will RoN be punished for his
    outburst the last day? I'm not  fan but he has to start the next day as we've so little others. Is Mulgrew fit?

4. We need some players to stand up and be leaders. Besides CC and maybe McCarron, who else do you see talking to the other players and shouting encouragement or roaring at others to wake up. So many players are passive and almost scared to rock the boat.

5. All good teams have a hard man or a dirty player. Philly McMahon, Johnny Cooper, Keegan, Higgins, Boyle.
    Can you name one player we have now like that. Everyone is so soft and scared to get a card. Mattie maybe.

6. I can't see McCarron staying around much longer so should we be using this qualifiers to give experience to
    young McKernan and HP McGeary. Why has Rory Brennan not saw more game time in the last few years. Any
    time I've watched him play he's been great.

7.  Will Mickey ever take Petey off if he's not playing well or being harassed so much that he's just not effective?

8.  Is Skeet back to himself or even better. He looked in great nick v the Farney fold and if he gets the right ball
     into him can do some damage

My starting 15 v Meath would be

Morgan
McKernan
McNamee
HP Sauce
R.Brennan
Hampsey
Meyler
Burns
Cathal McShane
Mulgrew
Sludden
Richie Donnelly
Skeet
Mattie - Has not been given a good chance at FF with decent ball kicked into him.
RoN

Have we any left foot free takers now?

Re Sean C. Has he not always been like this, where he shoots from the hip and often comes out with crazy lines.
IMHO he loves the limelight and always has and with a book on the way he knows the more controversy he stirs up the more of a frenzy people will have to buy the book.
This speaking out against the manager has all the hall marks of Roy Keane v Ferguson in my eyes.

I think your right regarding pushing Matty Donnelly up front for this game Fuzz. We need to add some serious threat as we will be far too predictable without. Watching Donegal last weekend, they have a well worked out system to get their corner forwards into possession, working the ball inside then popping to the corner forward (usually McBreaty) who has made a run on the loop who shoots within a second of gaining possession. He knows where he is receiving the ball and clearly has practiced that shot time and time again. The other lad in the corner (his name escapes me) scored twice this way too. I can see Ronan O'Neill, Lee Brennan, Skeet and even Peter Harte flourishing under this type of approach from time to time. Currently, we have Brennan rushing into the corner to pick up a 10 yard pass with his man up in arse and his back to goal. Donegal scored two of their first three points this way on Sunday and Derry were wary of it so next time Leo McLoone (I think) faked the pass, which put him through to set up a goal chance. With the shackles of Ulster gone, we need to trying out more expansive tactics, including what to do with a free from 50m.
That was never a square ball!!

WT4E

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 31, 2018, 12:11:34 PM
Was Sean's criticism not the lack of flexibility in the defensive system employed by Tyrone?  Tyrone only knew how to play one system and didn't have a plan B or have the ability to change it up?  I think Gavin Devlin has made a huge error for acknowledging Cavanagh's comments but then going further to question Sean's contribution to to panel during his time as captain.  As some posters already have said.  A penny for Colm Cavanagh's thoughts?  Our only real leader left on the panel has potentially been side-lined by inappropriate comments from Gavin Devlin his brother.  If anything had to be said I think Mickey had the right approach, Sean is entitled to his opinion and leave it at that.  They have a job to do with the current squad that his comments may have compromised.

Fixed that for you.  ;)

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: WT4E on May 31, 2018, 12:48:20 PM
Was Sean's criticism not the lack of flexibility in the defensive system employed by Tyrone?  Tyrone only knew how to play one system and didn't have a plan B or have the ability to change it up?  I think Gavin Devlin has made a huge error for acknowledging Cavanagh's comments but then going further to question Sean's contribution to to panel during his time as captain.  As some posters already have said.  A penny for Colm Cavanagh's thoughts?  Our only real leader left on the panel has potentially been side-lined by inappropriate comments from Gavin Devlin his brother.  If anything had to be said I think Mickey had the right approach, Sean is entitled to his opinion and leave it at that.  They have a job to do with the current squad that his comments may have compromised.

Fixed that for you.  ;)

I'm not looking to take sides, both said things that were ill judged and badly timed.  I jst feel the management of Tyrone should be looking at the bigger picture and not looking for cheap shots in the media.  Everyone knows why Sean is speaking out to create a media profile for himself.  The response was ridiculous, regardless of comment Cavanagh is one of the greatest ever to pull on a county jersey.  Will we see a response to Owen Mulligan as well?
Living the dream!!!

BIGONE

Horse wouldn't be the sharpest tool in the box in fairness. Never really knew when to keep his mouth shut.

chieftain

Quote from: BIGONE on May 31, 2018, 03:03:38 PM
Horse wouldn't be the sharpest tool in the box in fairness. Never really knew when to keep his mouth shut.

He should have said neigh thing   ;)

the goal was on

horse is welded to mickey permanently so we could assume his comments on cavanagh are mickeys re. the captaincy. Very very close to an all ireland comment sounds like a mickey one too, if only con callaghan had not cheated and neglected his defensive work!!

WT4E

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 31, 2018, 02:11:40 PM

Fixed that for you.  ;)

I'm not looking to take sides, both said things that were ill judged and badly timed.  I jst feel the management of Tyrone should be looking at the bigger picture and not looking for cheap shots in the media.  Everyone knows why Sean is speaking out to create a media profile for himself.  The response was ridiculous, regardless of comment Cavanagh is one of the greatest ever to pull on a county jersey.  Will we see a response to Owen Mulligan as well?

Hate this type of comment once you give an honest opinion on someone you get this "but sure he is an unbelievable footballer" - Its the same when you try to say maybe its time for Mickey to step down/get the road - "but sure he won us 3 all irelands!!!"

Sean Cavanagh made the comments and put his brother in this position had he not made the comments there was nothing to reply too - and to add to it after the game he tells us that Colm wasn't injured and didnt want to come off! Spare me the Cavanagh Fandom!

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: WT4E on May 31, 2018, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 31, 2018, 02:11:40 PM

Fixed that for you.  ;)

Hate this type of comment once you give an honest opinion on someone you get this "but sure he is an unbelievable footballer" - Its the same when you try to say maybe its time for Mickey to step down/get the road - "but sure he won us 3 all irelands!!!"

Sean Cavanagh made the comments and put his brother in this position had he not made the comments there was nothing to reply too - and to add to it after the game he tells us that Colm wasn't injured and didnt want to come off! Spare me the Cavanagh Fandom!

Mickey has been a great manager and delivered 3 all Ireland's, that's true and I'd never criticize him for that. But as older players lose their legs and can no longer sustain the pace I think the same of Mickey. The time is right for a new voice.

However my point was that the commentary by Devlin was unnecessary, is this personal opinion or is Gavin acting as Mickey's puppet? What is the opinion of the county board regarding this interview? Everything Cavanagh said is hard to argue with, Tyrone were locked in a defensive system with no back up plan.
Living the dream!!!