Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Was at the game with a Omagh lad who now lives over in Liverpool who was over with his son.
He was shocked how we lacked ideas going forward and how this defensive game seems to be dragging us down.

Are most people still believing in this style of play or has it run its course now? Donegal and ourselves are the main believers in it (maybe Monaghan) with 13 or 14 men behind the ball. Kerry, Mayo and Dubs use it to some extent but when you come up against teams who play the same way it really does make for an awful game.
My mate noticed how little the Tyrone fans were shouting for their team and wondered was it the style of play that was putting people off.

There did seem to be a lack of support play and players breaking at pace off the shoulder

Uncle Kev

Quote from: Quarterback on August 08, 2016, 10:09:51 AM
Gutted following the weekend - I hope we learn from this.  Brutal stuff to watch all the same and this system is sucking the life out of so many good footballers.  My problem is why do we have to resort to it. Are we protecting our fullback line, can we not produce forwards in Tyrone?  Why do we play a system where we have 3 half backs playing in our half forward line.  We almost beat Kerry last year playing with 2 forwards up yet this year we resort to playing with 1 up!!  Couldn't help but think how useful the likes of a Kyle Coney could have been yesterday - as man that can kick a point.
I seen Kyle Coney playing up in Killyclogher last Sunday ; he's either injured or else the football has left him . Desperate to think that he was as good as Matty Donnelly, Pety Harte and Aiden O Se! He's living of the 2008 name at minor level and unlike the above men hadn't in it in him to better himself for a life at Senior level . He would have probably won the game for us on Saturday as he has an abundance of talent just like another wasted talent Dan Mc Nulty . It's going to be hard to replace big strong men like the mcmahons and Sean Cavanagh . I thought Richy Donnelly would have been an option going on his club performances for Trillick and a good NL campaign. However this is all just an opinion and don't castigate me for stating an opinion ! As regards Mickey Harte he's a genius for getting us to this level with this bunch of players.I ll finish my rant with a good one. Several years ago in Riscommon at a qualifier game I heard a man say he would nt go to another tyrone game if Colm Cavanagh was playing; this individual has now made peace with himself and boldly states he won't go near another Tyrone game unless Colly is on !

Tommo2

Quote from: Uncle Kev on August 08, 2016, 12:32:43 PM
Quote from: Quarterback on August 08, 2016, 10:09:51 AM
Gutted following the weekend - I hope we learn from this.  Brutal stuff to watch all the same and this system is sucking the life out of so many good footballers.  My problem is why do we have to resort to it. Are we protecting our fullback line, can we not produce forwards in Tyrone?  Why do we play a system where we have 3 half backs playing in our half forward line.  We almost beat Kerry last year playing with 2 forwards up yet this year we resort to playing with 1 up!!  Couldn't help but think how useful the likes of a Kyle Coney could have been yesterday - as man that can kick a point.
I seen Kyle Coney playing up in Killyclogher last Sunday ; he's either injured or else the football has left him . Desperate to think that he was as good as Matty Donnelly, Pety Harte and Aiden O Se! He's living of the 2008 name at minor level and unlike the above men hadn't in it in him to better himself for a life at Senior level . He would have probably won the game for us on Saturday as he has an abundance of talent just like another wasted talent Dan Mc Nulty . It's going to be hard to replace big strong men like the mcmahons and Sean Cavanagh . I thought Richy Donnelly would have been an option going on his club performances for Trillick and a good NL campaign. However this is all just an opinion and don't castigate me for stating an opinion ! As regards Mickey Harte he's a genius for getting us to this level with this bunch of players.I ll finish my rant with a good one. Several years ago in Riscommon at a qualifier game I heard a man say he would nt go to another tyrone game if Colm Cavanagh was playing; this individual has now made peace with himself and boldly states he won't go near another Tyrone game unless Colly is on !

Kyle might not have played that well, but he scored 3 great points from play and a free kick from the sideline close to the 13m line. Not a bad return. Couldnt understand why he wasnt hitting all Ardboes left footed free kicks, especially from distance.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: redhandofgod on August 08, 2016, 10:33:55 AM
ronan o@neill complete dirt, 3 games in a row and no point from play!!!!! McShane near as bad. FFS why is lee breenan not on, best player in tyrone last year!!!

It's hard to score when your other 14 teammates are 50m down the pitch and you're surrounded by 4 defenders.

Jeremiah O

I'd love to see Conor McKenna come back from Australia.Anyone know if he's playing first team football out there?
Unconquered and unconquerable

Uncle Kev

Quote from: Jeremiah O on August 08, 2016, 05:44:39 PM
I'd love to see Conor McKenna come back from Australia.Anyone know if he's playing first team football out there?
Spot on Jeremy ! A quality player ! Hope to see him back soon in a Tyrone shirt but apparently he is going well in Oz !

ose 14

our full backline is the reason we play the way we do same for donegal. they are fantastic at charging up the field and giving a 5 yard handpass but andy moran dillon and o shea won an absolute fortune of ball on saturday. even when we had to chase the game we played 12 behind the ball. if you cannot mark your own man 1 on 1 then how can you call yourself a county defender. dublin played one extra back sat, it was cian o sullivan. we need 2 sweepers and wing forwards sitting in front of them. mccarron was pitiful on saturday as was mcnamee. mccrory who can cover and run all day long has no physical presence as a defender and has no idea with ball in hand. all 3 are not up to it. i have advocated a target man at full forward all season the only one that fits the bill is mattie. we have far too many athlete/worker types with no end product other than running in space. each team needs 1 or 2 not 6. harte has got more conservative as his reign prolongs. nothing has changed this year and we drifted out of the all ireland series for the same reasons as last year. repeating the same mistakes and expecting a different outcome come on!

sambostar

Second game in a row the opposition catch the 2nd half throw-in clean, run forward, quick pass & score. Why doesn't Sean jump for the throw-in? Mattie doesn't have the aerial ability.

Small point maybe but major impact when you lose by 1pt

Il Bomber Destro

McNamee was excellent last year but he's been very poor this year.

Don't get some of the flak going McCarron's way, thought he had a good game and was one of the players who really tried to push us over the line near the end.

The weaknesses now are obvious, we lack a target man in the full forward line, Cavanagh is more comfortable out the pitch and does his best work there. I'd really like to Niall McKenna given an extended run there or Danny McNulty get a go.

The free taking issue is a serious on, teams know where they can foul us and get away lightly. Sadly I don't really see much of a solution here.

I can't think of many players who will add to the team now that aren't there. I'd imagine Joe McMahon is done now, would hope Justy and Sean Cavanagh give it another year.

Mark Kavanagh is a very classy player, think he will get a chance next year. How is Conan Grugan going for Omagh these days, would he warrant a recall?

Fuzzman

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 12:31:29 AM

Don't get some of the flak going McCarron's way, thought he had a good game and was one of the players who really tried to push us over the line near the end.

The weaknesses now are obvious, we lack a target man in the full forward line, Cavanagh is more comfortable out the pitch and does his best work there. I'd really like to Niall McKenna given an extended run there or Danny McNulty get a go.

The free taking issue is a serious on, teams know where they can foul us and get away lightly. Sadly I don't really see much of a solution here.

I can't think of many players who will add to the team now that aren't there. I'd imagine Joe McMahon is done now, would hope Justy and Sean Cavanagh give it another year.

Mark Kavanagh is a very classy player, think he will get a chance next year. How is Conan Grugan going for Omagh these days, would he warrant a recall?

I like Kavanagh. I think he's a class act. However is he not a bit more of what we have.

I think we've a lot of players that are same ish.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

The Trap

How can Mickey Harte and Sean Cavanagh say this is the best group of players they have ever worked with? How are they even close to the team of the noughties??
And they talk about the squad strength......well if that's true then how come the same team started 3 games in a row? Has nobody else put their hand up in training and said I want on this team???? In A V B in house games have the 15 players on the A team been better than their opponents?
How can there be a real competition for places if the same team gets picked no matter what. Need to learn from Kilkenny who reward training performances.....

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 09, 2016, 10:54:35 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 12:31:29 AM

I like Kavanagh. I think he's a class act. However is he not a bit more of what we have.

I think we've a lot of players that are same ish.

We do but he I think he is worth a try and might prove himself to have a bit more about him than some of them.

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: The Trap on August 09, 2016, 01:05:32 PM
How can Mickey Harte and Sean Cavanagh say this is the best group of players they have ever worked with? How are they even close to the team of the noughties??
And they talk about the squad strength......well if that's true then how come the same team started 3 games in a row? Has nobody else put their hand up in training and said I want on this team???? In A V B in house games have the 15 players on the A team been better than their opponents?
How can there be a real competition for places if the same team gets picked no matter what. Need to learn from Kilkenny who reward training performances.....

I don't find it strange for Mickey to say that he rates this team as his best.  I'm presuming that means in the 13 years of his leadership, this current team is probably the fittest, strongest and raising the bar of what he seen in 03, 05 and 08 by there stats.  The problem is that other counties have raised the bar higher again.

The Tyrone team of the noughties were the standard of that time, if that makes sense.  Mickey also had his tactics spot on.

Agree what your saying about the training.  I thought this would have been a big year for Lee Brennan and Conor Meyler.  Not to be, next year maybe.
Living the dream!!!

The Trap