Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

I think the lads attitude has shifted quite considerably. Fair play to him. I read an interview from him where he said getting put on as a sub, against Mayo I think, and taken off again was a massive wake up call for him. He was definitely out of shape at that stage in his career. Hopefully we see a big summer from him.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Under Lights on April 27, 2016, 09:28:46 AM
I think the lads attitude has shifted quite considerably. Fair play to him. I read an interview from him where he said getting put on as a sub, against Mayo I think, and taken off again was a massive wake up call for him. He was definitely out of shape at that stage in his career. Hopefully we see a big summer from him.

Fair play to O'Neill, massive fan of his and agree he's probably the most talented forward in the country so great to see him in good shape and going well. Also think he's our best finisher as far as goal chances are concerned - think Sunday's was his third of the year, has anyone else got more than one?

However I would say that it's all very well doing it in the Division 2 v the likes of Cavan. I've seen O'Neill put in a few good performances in the Qualifiers in recent years against the lesser teams, but if we have Ulster or All Ireland ambitions then O'Neills going to find himself marked by the likes of Eamon McGee, Colin Walshe, Keith Higgins, Philly McMahon - even Dermot McBride from Derry who is a good man marker and I don't think he's played against us so far this year. These lads would all represent a bigger test but hopefully Rony can keep the good form up.

redhandofgod

Didn't think O'Neill was that great. Although he got 1-3 he doesn't have the ability to get out in front of his man and then beat him, he turned over a lot of ball any time he did try and beat a Cavan player. His scores were all handed to him, free, ball off the post that landed to him and a pass over defenders head by Myler for a simple hand-pass over the bar. It was the pass by Donnelly that made the goal, however, it was a great finish. McAliskey is definitely more explosive, something O'Neill doesn't have and he will definitely struggle against better teams.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: redhandofgod on April 27, 2016, 11:38:22 AM
Didn't think O'Neill was that great. Although he got 1-3 he doesn't have the ability to get out in front of his man and then beat him, he turned over a lot of ball any time he did try and beat a Cavan player. His scores were all handed to him, free, ball off the post that landed to him and a pass over defenders head by Myler for a simple hand-pass over the bar. It was the pass by Donnelly that made the goal, however, it was a great finish. McAliskey is definitely more explosive, something O'Neill doesn't have and he will definitely struggle against better teams.

While the actual execution of the scores was simple (both his points from play anyway), there is a skill to making the correct runs in order to be in position to receive these passes (his first point was from a lay off by Petey Harte, not from a rebound) and knock the ball over the bar. Also worth nothing that Rony is doing a lot of running back and work out the field and in previous years he wouldn't have been fit to get himself back up the pitch and in position to take the scores. So he deserves more credit than you've given him i think.

Also when he is out the field he does some good work creatively when he avoids taking the ball into traffic. For example in the first half he sprayed a great diagonal ball into Skeet from which we won a handy 13 yard free

nrico2006

I still have doubts on RON.  I agree with a lot of what redhandofgod says.  The big problem Tyrone have had the past few years is forwards who can skin their man and RON doesn't seem to have this in his locker either.  McCurry is very similar in this regard and even McAliskey seems to always take the shot instead of taking on the man. 

On RON, was he better at beating men (i.e. was it a big part of his game) prior to the cruciate injury or has he always had the same style that he has now?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 27, 2016, 12:55:26 PM
I still have doubts on RON.  I agree with a lot of what redhandofgod says.  The big problem Tyrone have had the past few years is forwards who can skin their man and RON doesn't seem to have this in his locker either.  McCurry is very similar in this regard and even McAliskey seems to always take the shot instead of taking on the man. 

On RON, was he better at beating men (i.e. was it a big part of his game) prior to the cruciate injury or has he always had the same style that he has now?

He was definitely alot more nippy and quicker prior to the injury. At underage level he would frequently play at centre half forward and a big part of his game was running at teams with the ball.

Suppose another reason that he doesn't try to beat his man as much is because he's not the biggest and can be caught out when he tries to bring the ball into contact. This was obviously less of an issue at underage level when there is less physicality

EastTyrone

He should be exiled for that celebration. Absolutely horrendous.

Club boi

Come back on here with your tinted glasses OSE when he does it against Dublin, Mayo, Kerry or Donegal

GlenMan

Quote from: EastTyrone on April 27, 2016, 02:21:25 PM

Why? Ive only seen old people (50+) being negative about it.

ose 14

not rose tinted at all, but ronan was getting pearlers on here some of it personal that he wasnt this and he wasnt that. its easy to pick on someone when hes not performing i can understand the ease of negative comments but the lad has been terrific this season so far.  the argument regarding doing it against kerry dublin and mayo is the acid test alright. but id suggest that its been  6years since any tyrone forward or player for that matter has performed with distinction against any of the top teams.mccurry mcaliskey bradley were all found wanting last year when it mattered. o neill and lee breenan will prove before the year is out what a proper forward looks like.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ose 14 on April 27, 2016, 10:23:13 PM
not rose tinted at all, but ronan was getting pearlers on here some of it personal that he wasnt this and he wasnt that. its easy to pick on someone when hes not performing i can understand the ease of negative comments but the lad has been terrific this season so far.  the argument regarding doing it against kerry dublin and mayo is the acid test alright. but id suggest that its been  6years since any tyrone forward or player for that matter has performed with distinction against any of the top teams.mccurry mcaliskey bradley were all found wanting last year when it mattered. o neill and lee breenan will prove before the year is out what a proper forward looks like.

I'd disagree with that.

I thought McCurry and McAliskey went extremely well last year. McAliskey at the minute is the standout forward, he has the explosiveness that McCurry and O'Neill don't have and I felt he was superb against Kerry last year and if we had been able to feed him more we would have won the game. With the form McAliskey is in at the minute I would say he is bordering on being a top class forward.

The difference with O'Neill this year is he seems in better condition and is sacrificing himself for the team where he previously wasn't willing/well conditioned enough to. As a result of this Harte has rewarded him with a starting position. It's great to see but he still has it all to prove, we know he's a top class finisher and he's a very gifted footballer but he will need to continue and make big improvements to his game if he is to hold onto that jersey as the summer progresses. He had a decent game on Sunday, he worked hard, he used the ball well and his ability to create space was clever and his finishing deadly - however, six or seven times on Sunday he was bottled up and turned over far too easily, he needs to become much more adept at protecting the ball. McCurry and McAliskey, for now at least, seem to be much better at this aspect than O'Neill is.

He's had a good league campaign, he deserves to start against Derry but Championship is a different animal and O'Neill still has a long way to go - he will need to continue to up his game if he wants to keep that place. McCurry's form is a little worrying but he gets an awful lot of unfair criticism, he only turns 23 this year and is a tried and tested Championship performer - he absolutely destroyed Ryan Wylie in Croke Park last year with Wylie a big tip to get an All Star beforehand.

EastTyrone

Quote from: GlenMan on April 27, 2016, 05:07:02 PM
Quote from: EastTyrone on April 27, 2016, 02:21:25 PM

Why? Ive only seen old people (50+) being negative about it.

It is just very embarrassing. This is not american sports full of theatrics. Just get on with it. Or at least make up something original.

ose 14

i beg to disagree re mcaliskey and mccurry. they are both flat track bullies the likes of tipperary and sligo made both of them look good last year. both of them are way too selfish. put a few wonder scores on the board and thats it. mcaliskey plays for himself and mc curry is at best an impact sub. when the chips are down neither of these two have the cahones. i watched mccaliskey two years ago aginst dromore have an unbelievable first 7 minutes kick 4 points albeit wind assisted in the championship. then low and behold red sean was asked to do a wee marking job and the skeet man disappeared as did clonoe. lee breenan and ronan o neill have both shown what a proper natural forward looks like and neither of them lack the round boys. cant have big shawn wee dazzler and skeet in the one line and expect to win ball against the mcgees/mcgrath or the wylies/walsh because ulster will come down to that again. Brennan and o neill for me every time. nice to see positive comments re ronans celebration i suppose when his play cant be criticised haters have to hate something else.

Club Rossa

I would be very happy to see him doing that celebration again in Celtic Park!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ose 14 on April 29, 2016, 07:09:10 AM
i beg to disagree re mcaliskey and mccurry. they are both flat track bullies the likes of tipperary and sligo made both of them look good last year. both of them are way too selfish. put a few wonder scores on the board and thats it. mcaliskey plays for himself and mc curry is at best an impact sub. when the chips are down neither of these two have the cahones. i watched mccaliskey two years ago aginst dromore have an unbelievable first 7 minutes kick 4 points albeit wind assisted in the championship. then low and behold red sean was asked to do a wee marking job and the skeet man disappeared as did clonoe. lee breenan and ronan o neill have both shown what a proper natural forward looks like and neither of them lack the round boys. cant have big shawn wee dazzler and skeet in the one line and expect to win ball against the mcgees/mcgrath or the wylies/walsh because ulster will come down to that again. Brennan and o neill for me every time. nice to see positive comments re ronans celebration i suppose when his play cant be criticised haters have to hate something else.

McAliskey is a superb ball winner. Bit of irony in you castigating haters while doing the same against McAliskey and McCurry who have pedigree at Championship level.