The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Sean Cavanagh's punditry reputation  went up a notch last night , when paired  with   the incredibly dull Paul Flynn.

Eire90

The glory days of brady giles and Dunphy  lyster spillane brolly   summers will never be the same again

yellowcard

Paul Flynn talking about KPIs, pockets of space and horseshoes tonight. New age punditry.

SouthOfThe Bann

What does KPI stand for? 😂

Strikes me as a business term.

From the Bunker

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on April 14, 2024, 11:16:20 PMWhat does KPI stand for? 😂

KPI stands for key performance indicator, a quantifiable measure of performance over time for a specific objective. KPIs provide targets for teams to shoot for, milestones to gauge progress, and insights that help people across the organization make better decisions.

thewobbler

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on April 14, 2024, 11:16:20 PMWhat does KPI stand for? 😂

It stands for over coaching i.e. emphasising a desire statistical success in things other than the scoreboard

bennydorano

I put KPIs in the overused words thread last week. A term that will very soon lose any meaning in sporting terms - bar becoming a form of ridicule.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: marty34 on February 05, 2024, 07:46:42 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 05, 2024, 07:27:04 PMDonal Og used to be good but now seems just to be out to make a name for himself. Daly very likeable yeah.

Yeah, Donal Óg just wants to go on a rant with cliched soundbites.  Good at the start but repetitive now.

Maybe that's the way they go after a few years. Daly seems a nice guy. He comes across as a genuine lad.

Punditry and rock bands are similar. In music, your first album is your lifetime of ideas and observations, then you have a short window to come up with fresh ideas for the second one, and third one if the second one didn't bomb.

Donal Óg brought something fresh when he first came on the scene. His analysis of 'spare hand hurling' having watched Kilkenny and others at close quarters was unique. He's now at the point where something new is needed.

Spillane, Brolly and O'Rourke while entertaining in some ways, had long since run out of anything fresh to say. Chat GPT could churn out what they were going to say about every game...before it was even played.

armaghniac

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 15, 2024, 10:16:03 AMSpillane, Brolly and O'Rourke while entertaining in some ways, had long since run out of anything fresh to say. Chat GPT could churn out what they were going to say about every game...before it was even played.

The Point: A player kicks the ball over the crossbar. The crowd yawns. A white flag flutters. A point! But what's the point, really?
The Goal: A primal scream—a player hurls the ball into the net. The crowd blinks. A green flag unfurls. A goal! But why? No one knows.
The Heroes:

The Keeper: A masochist in goal, diving to save shots. His life motto: "Embrace pain, reject logic."
The Midfield Maestros: They weave spells, teleporting the ball. Their secret? A pact with leprechauns.
The Forwards: Like lost souls, they sprint toward the heavens, seeking redemption. Spoiler alert: They won't find it here.
The Aftermath: Bruised, bewildered, the players emerge. Victors or vanquished, they've achieved... well, nothing. The crowd—half-asleep—mumbles their names.

The All-Ireland Senior Championship: A cosmic farce, held at Croke Park. Crowds gather, hoping for enlightenment. They leave with sunburns and existential dread.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: armaghniac on April 15, 2024, 10:48:35 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 15, 2024, 10:16:03 AMSpillane, Brolly and O'Rourke while entertaining in some ways, had long since run out of anything fresh to say. Chat GPT could churn out what they were going to say about every game...before it was even played.

The Point: A player kicks the ball over the crossbar. The crowd yawns. A white flag flutters. A point! But what's the point, really?
The Goal: A primal scream—a player hurls the ball into the net. The crowd blinks. A green flag unfurls. A goal! But why? No one knows.
The Heroes:

The Keeper: A masochist in goal, diving to save shots. His life motto: "Embrace pain, reject logic."
The Midfield Maestros: They weave spells, teleporting the ball. Their secret? A pact with leprechauns.
The Forwards: Like lost souls, they sprint toward the heavens, seeking redemption. Spoiler alert: They won't find it here.
The Aftermath: Bruised, bewildered, the players emerge. Victors or vanquished, they've achieved... well, nothing. The crowd—half-asleep—mumbles their names.

The All-Ireland Senior Championship: A cosmic farce, held at Croke Park. Crowds gather, hoping for enlightenment. They leave with sunburns and existential dread.
If that's the answer, what was the question?

armaghniac

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 15, 2024, 11:34:33 AMIf that's the answer, what was the question?

Describe a Gaelic football game in the style of cynical analyst.

Captain Scarlet

They want to drum up talking points that all the various pods and radio shows have flogged all week, but they are the only ones with the fuckin matches to show.

Just play the clips and give some extended highlights online somewhere else if needs be. I see GAAGo has a Cork Munster hurling game so I look forward to Donal Óg's rant already...

GAAGo have a YouTube show and seemingly the Dean Rock analysis is good too. In fairness I gave out in the past re GAAGo but their matchday stuff is much improved. Grainne McElwain is top class in fairness and the pundits seem more relaxed.

There should be a Player show dropping on a Mondayy with talking points like Seo Spoirt used to do on TG4.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

AustinPowers

What were TSG  playing at with the Mayo Roscommon highlights?

I didn't  watch the match  live , so didn't know who won,  and  wanted to find out  later instead.

THose "highlights", I actually thought were  from a previous year!  They didn't even give the  final score, just  a couple of scores and a few  interviews.  Awful stuff.

armaghniac

I could have sworn that a blurb came up during the Sunday game which said that there would be Tailteann cup action later. How much later? 4 weeks?

Eire90

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 22, 2024, 12:23:43 PMWhat were TSG  playing at with the Mayo Roscommon highlights?

I didn't  watch the match  live , so didn't know who won,  and  wanted to find out  later instead.

THose "highlights", I actually thought were  from a previous year!  They didn't even give the  final score, just  a couple of scores and a few  interviews.  Awful stuff.

thought i was only one that thought they mayo v roscommon highlights were stupid showing clips with music and then interviewing players in the middle of hollywood highlights.