Armagh vs Galway Athletic Grounds 03.04.2011

Started by mackers, March 29, 2011, 11:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Hopefully we'll be able to keep this thread going without an Armagh Down bitchfest taking over.
I see from today's IN that Jamie Clarke, Aaron and Tony Kernan, Paul McKeown, David McKenna and Aaron Cunningham have been drafted in. It'll be interesting to see which of them get a start. My starting team would be along the lines of

Hearty
A Mallon      Donaghy      P McKeown
K Dyas        McKeever     P Duffy
          Charlie       Toner
AK             Nippy           D McKenna
J Clarke       Stevie         G McParland

What about the Galway lads? I'm sure pushing Cork all the way in the last game will be a confidence booster. Any missing players going to make it for this game?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

whitegoodman

Hard to believe that Tony Kernan is on the panel ahead of Stephen.  Going by the Ulster all ireland club series stephen looked by far the classier player and performed in what is a problem position for the county.

PAULD123

Okay Mackers I promise not to say anything bitchy on this thread.

How come you have left out BJP? Do you not rate him? I would have thought Paddy O'Rourke will play A. Kernan at half back and BJP at Half forward

Also you dropped Gurgan. I've been impressed with him in the two games against Down. Don't you think the more he plays the better for his development?

DuffleKing

Club football is nothing more than an indicator of county potential. There are a whole new set of attributes needed for county football.
Good of you to keep us abreast of your obsession with our panel though.

whitegoodman

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 29, 2011, 01:51:42 PM
Club football is nothing more than an indicator of county potential. There are a whole new set of attributes needed for county football.
Good of you to keep us abreast of your obsession with our panel though.

It's a good job the likes of u r on this forum to keep us abreast on what makes a county footballer  ???

bennydorano

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 29, 2011, 01:12:26 PM
Hard to believe that Tony Kernan is on the panel ahead of Stephen.  Going by the Ulster all ireland club series stephen looked by far the classier player and performed in what is a problem position for the county.
I reckon SK had a run in with Donal Murtagh somewhere along the way, there's no other explanation for it, other than POR & DM are blind to the obvious.

The Cross boys coming back has the potential to a lot of things, positive and negative. Mackers possible line out makes me wince tbh.  David McKenna coming in could cause a headache, another natural MF'er who could be accomodated somewhere unbalancing us further.  We could quite possibly string 5 MF'ers across the MF & HF line Lavery, Toner, Mackin, McKenna & Vernon, hope not but it wouldn't suprise me.  Finnian Mo has done nothing to deserve the chop, neither has Dyas, but both could be under pressure from McKeown and AK.

The team i would like to see line out

Hearty
Mallon, Donaghy, f Mo
Dyas, McKeever, Duffy
     Vernon & Toner
Nippy, Brian Mallon, Mackin
Jamie, Stevie, AK (roving)

Christ knows what will start thou, hard to see BJP getting dropped.  David McKenna deserves a run out, but theres something about that fella that makes me think he's either not interested/doesn't believe in himself, plus I doubt he'd be consistent enough for inter-county MF.  Hopefully F Hanratty and Cunningham are there to gather experience as I cant see them having any impact this year.

Orior

I hope we dont revert to a two man full forward line. How about this

Hearty
Mallon, Donaghy, Finn Mo
Dyas, McKeever, Duffy
     Vernon & Toner
Nippy, AK, Mackin
Jamie, Stevie, Brian Mallon

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

TacadoirArdMhacha

I'd like to see McKenna given a try and considering our paucity of options in the full back line and Brendy Donaghy's less than stellar form at full-back (admittedly the only match he got badly roasted was against the best full forward in Ireland), it might be worth trying something like ;

Hearty

Mallon       Toner         Donaghy

Kernan      McKeever   Duffy

Vernon       McKenna

Dyas          Padden      Mackin

J Clarke       Swift        McDonnell
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ross4life

I read today Galway manager Tomas O'Flaharta has now lost 12 consecutive NFL Division One games in succession, seven with Westmeath in 2009 & five with Galway.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ONeill

Quick one for the Armachians - coming from Belfast, what turn off on the M1 would you take for the Athletic Grounds?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ONeill on March 29, 2011, 11:29:37 PM
Quick one for the Armachians - coming from Belfast, what turn off on the M1 would you take for the Athletic Grounds?

The one for Craigavon / Portadown, just after the Craigavon / Luragn one and there's a sign for Armagh as well.

Reasonably well signposted. When you come off the M12 follow the curve of the road to Portadown then straight road past train station bypassing town. You'll come to a roundabout, turn right and its a straight road to Armagh.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Orangemac

Quote from: Orior on March 29, 2011, 10:17:16 PM
I hope we dont revert to a two man full forward line. How about this

Hearty
Mallon, Donaghy, Finn Mo
Dyas, McKeever, Duffy
     Vernon & Toner
Nippy, AK, Mackin
Jamie, Stevie, Brian Mallon
For long spells v Kerry we had a 1 man full forward line. If there is no ball coming in Stevie will be out looking for it.

Would swap Ak with Duffy above. Duffy has more speed and is more direct , Aaron is better coming onto a ball and picking out a pass.

To beat Down in May we are going to need to have a half forward line contributing about 4 points.

ONeill

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 29, 2011, 11:43:02 PM

The one for Craigavon / Portadown, just after the Craigavon / Luragn one and there's a sign for Armagh as well.

Reasonably well signposted. When you come off the M12 follow the curve of the road to Portadown then straight road past train station bypassing town. You'll come to a roundabout, turn right and its a straight road to Armagh.

Thanks. Don't think I've been there since Armagh bate us in the very early 90s. I remember Jim McConville playing.

sortaedit: was there 2 years ago when Omagh turned over St Mary's Belfast.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

David McKeown

Quote from: ONeill on March 29, 2011, 11:51:51 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 29, 2011, 11:43:02 PM

Thanks. Don't think I've been there since Armagh bate us in the very early 90s. I remember Jim McConville playing.

sortaedit: was there 2 years ago when Omagh turned over St Mary's Belfast.

Exit 11 if you pay attention to the numbers
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Duine Eile

Padraic Joyce and Gareth Bradshaw are meant to be back on the panel for this game.