Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Everything becomes very dependent on the luck of the draw. You might get Killashee, Connollys and Ballymahon as three of your matches, or you might get Slashers, Clonguish, Dromard and Abbeylara. Personally, we were on the receiving end of enough bad draws and the wrong side of enough narrow margins this year for my liking.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

The Insider

1 glitch in this system, while you cannot meet the same team twice in the open draw, there can be a repeat of round 4 fixtures in the quarter final draws based on final league placings. Think you would have to be very unlucky to draw Clonguish for a 3rd year and Abbey again . Depending on score difference 2 wins could be enough to get to the Q/finals. All 2012 draws take place on the 14th of Nov in Aras Ui Bhrian and will be broadcast on Shannonside

North Longford

Just seems a very unfair system. And somebody will get the raw end of the stick even if its not Mullinalaghta. Its the equivalent of saying a Division 2 team should be league champions if they get more points than the winners of Division 1. And even if 4 points does get you through the likliehood is it will be closer to 8th than 1st so more than likely providing tougher opposition in the quarter final.

LaurelEye

Quote from: The Insider on November 03, 2011, 07:06:43 PM
1 glitch in this system, while you cannot meet the same team twice in the open draw, there can be a repeat of round 4 fixtures in the quarter final draws based on final league placings. Think you would have to be very unlucky to draw Clonguish for a 3rd year

Aye. Right.

Dromard vs Mostrim
Colmcille vs Abbeylara
Longford Slashers vs Seán Connollys
Killashee vs Fr Manning Gaels
Killoe vs Ballymahon
Mullinalaghta vs Clonguish (third year in a row)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

The Insider

Don't know who St Columba's have upset to draw Clonguish for a 3rd year running, Could they possibly meet them again in the quarter final !!!. If St Columba's can keep everyone at home and injury free ,would expect them to be there at the business end of the championship. More so next year when they can add David Mc Givney and Aiden Mc Elliot and others from the Northern Gaels teams which will be in contention for Juvenile and Minor Championships in 2012. David now takes over from brother James as the best under-age prospect in Longford .

LaurelEye

Quote from: The Insider on November 15, 2011, 01:28:35 AM
Don't know who St Columba's have upset to draw Clonguish for a 3rd year running, Could they possibly meet them again in the quarter final !!!. If St Columba's can keep everyone at home and injury free ,would expect them to be there at the business end of the championship. More so next year when they can add David Mc Givney and Aiden Mc Elliot and others from the Northern Gaels teams which will be in contention for Juvenile and Minor Championships in 2012. David now takes over from brother James as the best under-age prospect in Longford .

"Next year" for those two means 2013; they're still juvenile in 2012.

We have too small a pick (less than 500 people in the parish, far smaller than any other club at this level) to be able to afford injuries or absentees and I don't expect us to be spared either next summer.

Longfordian

Firstly ...correct me if Im wrong , am living out foreign now and am a bit removed from the football at the moment ...
Take for example Mostrim v Domard ...winners of this get two points , all teams go back into the hat and Mostrim could get anyone other than Dromard ..... this process continues until each team has played 5 games ...... Top 8 teams go into quarter finals  1 play 8 , 2 play 7 etc .... bottom 4 play off to see who goes down

Laurel .... tough draw for the 3rd year in a row ... although there wasnt much between each for the last two years .....
Not the easiest draw for us either !

LaurelEye

Quote from: Longfordian on November 16, 2011, 01:24:09 PM
Firstly ...correct me if Im wrong , am living out foreign now and am a bit removed from the football at the moment ...
Take for example Mostrim v Domard ...winners of this get two points , all teams go back into the hat and Mostrim could get anyone other than Dromard ..... this process continues until each team has played 5 games ...... Top 8 teams go into quarter finals  1 play 8 , 2 play 7 etc .... bottom 4 play off to see who goes down

4 games rather than 5 but apart from that, yeah.

QuoteLaurel .... tough draw for the 3rd year in a row ... although there wasnt much between each for the last two years .....
Not the easiest draw for us either !

Not a fantastic draw but [famouslastwords]Dromard don't seem as strong as they used to be.[/famouslastwords]

The Insider

It seems Pearse Park is the latest target for the Health and Safety crusade , Capacity has being cut to under 7,000 . While no county final will test that figure, it's attractiveness as a neutral venue must now be in doubt as well as a being a venue for qualifier games should we get the likes of Tryone , Mayo etc and all but rules out a home game against the Dubs in Leinster again. It is still ahead as a venue of Newbridge, Parnell Park, Cusack Park. Although seeing the amount outstanding on Mc Hale Park maybe were not in such a bad position as we will see 7000 in Pearse park more often than 30,000 plus in Castlebar

QUB GAA Research

Hi Everyone,

I am a final year student at QUB, and as part of my course I am required to undertake a group piece of research.
We have chosen to do this on the GAA, and the different reasons on player drop-our rates post age 18 between rural and urban areas.

We would be very greatfull if you could take the time to fill out the survey below (it will literally only take 2 minutes).

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q8FYCHK

We've got some great feedback so far, and I think the users on this message board can add valuable contributions to the study.
Please feel free to comment/make sussestions on our thread (below) or on the survey about the topic.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20675.msg1048613#new

Thanks Very much!
Go raibh mile maith agat

Longfordian

I would like to extend my sympathies to the Smyth family from Cashel , on the awful news of the death of Alison aged only 29 years old. Alison excelled on both the Football field and Basketball court ,  remember her fondly from my time with Longford Falcons Basketball Club.
Very sad news .

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Shamrock Shore

Happy New Year lads.

Here's to Mostrim, Columbas, Colmcille and Slashers all winning the Connolly Cup in 2012.

(aside from Slashers)

LaurelEye

County senior panel as listed in this week's Layder:

Dermot Brady, Peter Brady, Barry Gilleran, Paul Kelly, Niall Mulligan (Longford Slashers), John Keegan, Dónal McElligott, James McGivney, JJ Matthews, Shane Mulligan (Mullinalaghta), Fergal Battrim, Colm P Smyth, Robbie Smyth (Abbeylara), David Barden, Paul Barden, Enda Williams (Clonguish), Noel Farrell, Barry McKeon, Declan Reilly (Colmcille), Francis McGee, Damian Sheridan (Dromard), Paddy Collum, Mark Duffy (Fr Manning Gaels), Seán McCormack, Michael Quinn (Killoe), Martin Brady, James McKenna (Seán Connollys), Kevin Diffley (Ballymahon), Bernard McElvaney (Ballymore), John O'Shea (Carrickedmond), Peter Foy (Cashel), Brian Kavanagh (Kilmacud Crokes).

Shamrock Shore

I see Mostrim are well represented  :-\