New Meath Manager

Started by Hardy, July 20, 2008, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

QuoteAnybody know who it is that Liam Hayes in concerning or is he just spouting his usual nonsense?

I would have thought it was Gerry McEntee.

Hardy

With the usual health warning on Hoganstand material, that's great news and fair play to Luke for having the integrity to refuse to be messed around.

Of course, it doesn't make Eamonn O'Brien's position any stronger, to be a reluctant choice of the selection committee. Only a unanimous vote by the club delegates can save him from starting out as a lame duck.

The whole debacle reminds us of how lucky we were to have Seán Boylan for 20+ years. I've always maintained, and this three-ring circus confirms it, that all our success down those years was entirely down to him and how he ran the team and was despite, rather than because of anything the county board contributed. Without Boylan, we would probably have been another Wicklow/Westmeath for all those years since our All-Ireland appearance in 1970 and I'm greatly afraid that's where we might be heading back to. If we're not there already.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: thejuice on October 13, 2008, 10:14:10 PM
Aye,  I have only heard about 2 people saying Luke Dempsey would be good for Meath, everyone else is up in arms about it.

ah you misheard them juice those two people were saying that luke dempsey would be good for meath hurling  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

lynchbhoy

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 14, 2008, 01:24:29 PM
From the Sunday Tribune

The interesting, and slightly hilarious backdrop, to the search by both Meath and Dublin for a new manager over the last two months, is that both county boards initially set their hearts on the same man. No, not Brian Mullins.

Dublin gave up on this individual quickly enough and moved down through their list of possible candidates and Meath, most likely, will follow their neighbours in the next few days when they name Luke Dempsey or Eamonn O'Brien (or somebody else entirely) as a successor to Colm Coyle. However, Meath officials did not give up so quickly and have journeyed across the county boundaries to have several lengthy and impassioned meetings over the last couple of weeks with the man they really want, and one last plea from them to him is likely.

Anybody know who it is that Liam Hayes in concerning or is he just spouting his usual nonsense? Dublin and Meath after the same man? The thought that it was Joe Kernan occured to me. If so, its hard to see Meath having much luck. Amazing to see a county like Meath linked with, never mind on the verge of appointing, an outsider with as mediocre a record as Luke Dempsey.
It was.
apparantly Kernan was interested and looking likely until the news leaked to the media ahead of time and it p***ed him off and he withdrew from discussion then.
This is from one of the meaths top refs. I wouldnt expect him to be telling me lies but I am only assuming he got his info from the top. If not then it could very well be a load of bollix.

15 Johnny Blues

The story is true as read it earlier in Evening Herald - where hoganstand lifted it from probably and believe Dempsey was just on local radio

Jinxy

I'd take him ahead of Luke anyway!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

I'd take his arm off. Look at it this way - how many titles have all the other candidates and potential candidates got between them? How many of them have shown that they know the first page of the "How To Win An All-Ireland" manual? Give me a list of candidates for any job where one has done the job successfully for twenty years, winning the top award in his profession four times and several other titles besides, while the others have never recorded a single success between them - who would you expect me to choose?

agorm

Hard to know regarding a Boylan return. The heart says Yes considering all that he has achieved and done for us but the head says No - things have moved on and we did have a mediocre early nineties with him at the helm keeping faith with essentially the same panel. I would be happy but a little wary if he were to have taken over again which is very unlikely.
Regarding the shambles,is anyone really surprised? We have a chairman in Barney Allen who was county secretary for many years and was a great servant to the county but should never have been elected by the delegates into the chairman position. That said I dont think Brendan Dempsey was ideal but certainly better than Allen. Everyone is talking about the manager but this is just the tip of the iceberg. We wre well behind the Tyrone's, Dublin's, kerry's, Kilkenny's to name only a few of this world in he way we organise our underage games.

Regarding the manager job, I really think that we need a strong man manager as this group of players have talent but need strong leadership. I am not sure who fits that bill among the available candidates bt the way. If Eamonn O' Brien gets it I sincerely hope he is a success. He has good experience and would be extremely committed. Hopefully he would have tha man management skills and the tactical awareness / coolness to be a success in the ole.

As long as the suggestions made regarding Davey Nelson are not taken seriously. He is the Kevin Keegan of GAA management

Barney

Luke was on Newstalk tonight - is there any end to his desire for publicity - he may put his name back in the ring again if fellas come back to him

lynchbhoy

would agree agorm about barney allen.

however I laughed out loud with your comments regarding Davy !
You must hate the Mahoneys or have bought a bad bit of furniture from the nelsons ! :D

meathie

just reading the local paper there. Theres such messin around goin on with Co Board at the mo. The paper more or les saying that the main reason in not appointing Luke is that there are persuassive delegates who do not want an outsider manager, bootom line. It looks now like O Brien may be the one for us. I wouldnt be dissapointed if he was as I do respect him but I still think we need someone harder to bring that bite and fear back. Also says the Co Board will prob reopen interview process unless all 5 agree on O Brien in the coming days.  Pity Gerry Mc wouldnt go for it. I love Boylan hes my hero but I dont think bringing him back at this stage would be right. anyway he dosent want to come back at the moment so its not even an option.

Uladh

Hardy

Quote from: Uladh on October 15, 2008, 11:07:22 AM
Bring back eamon barry

To be fair to him, even though I didn't have much time for him, he never got a fair chance.

Uladh

So you're saying, being fair it wasn't fair?

Hardy