Tyrone 2008

Started by tyroneman, August 14, 2007, 01:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

I guess the question now is what next for Tyrone in MH's final year (maybe)

Supposing we have SON, Dooher and McGuigan available we will be in reaonsably good shape however certaain issues / questions must be addressed:

1. We need a MF partner for Sean Cavanagh AND a reliable back up to come into his MF spot should we push him into the Half Forwards. To date we have found no-one. Barely a glimmer. Is there anyone at club level who can make the grade? Who knows. Alternatively we look at young McMahon and/or young Cavanagh as options

2. Ricey. No longer has the pace required for the modern day CB position. Will be an asset in the half back line. Who makes way - Nephew.

3. Full Back. Joe McMahon is the man for this. Needs a run of games there though.

4. McKenna Cup - should be about finding and blooding talent not tiring out / injuring the big guns. If we don't win it next year Mcikey we'll not be too disapointed.

5. PLan B - we need a different option in the forward line (could this be Rouse?).

longball

Players that should be tried next year in McKenna Cup, Nat league etc: Phillip Toner, Brian Toner, Niall McGinn, Edan Clarke, Des Tracy, Adian Cassidy, Paul Rafferty, Eoin McCusker
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

orangeman

Niall Mc Ginn is a very good player who I think could make it.

snappiered

Tyroneman think you forgot to mention we will have Mickey Mc Gee back for 2008 as well. Dont forget the last 10 mins of 05 final v Kingdom. He come charging out of our defence on 4 seperate occasions. His loss was underestimated this year. He had a shoulder operation there two months ago and was told he would be out for 6 months. Hope he makes a full recovery for club and countys sake

orangeman

Snapper - you're right there - Mc Gee was missed - a good player who can do a marking job - is aggressive and can play a bit as well.

Uladh

Uladh

Nonsense. what is he, 26?

His conditioning obviously isn't correct but thats a seperate issue.

loughshore lad

Quote from: snappiered on August 14, 2007, 02:17:58 PM
Tyroneman think you forgot to mention we will have Mickey Mc Gee back for 2008 as well. Dont forget the last 10 mins of 05 final v Kingdom. He come charging out of our defence on 4 seperate occasions. His loss was underestimated this year. He had a shoulder operation there two months ago and was told he would be out for 6 months. Hope he makes a full recovery for club and countys sake

Dont think McGee was that big a loss, would he have done any better than anyone who played there this season? Dont think so myself. Yes as you point out he had a good last quarter in the All Ireland final in 2005 but that is 2 years ago. He was not too hot in a large proprtion of games he played both before and after that.

We need to be looking to the future and moving on with out the likes of McGee. Its time to blood a few younger players I feel. We need a completely new full back line I feel, McMahon is not a natural full back and doesnt look comfortable there, McCaul is going to be a good player but as some point out he may be better in the half back line. PJ Quinn is well worth a go I think.

Wee Roddy

Any man woman or child who thinks that Paul Rafferty is county standard is having a laugh. A man that pulls out of half a dozen balls and kick three short frees in a league match instead of having the guts to go himself should not even be considered. How much does he score from play?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2007, 02:34:19 PM
Well for a lad of 26, he is subject to a lot of injuries. It's different for players like Mc Guigan who has suffered from freak injuries.
It's the same injuries that keep coming back to haunt O Neill.
How much longer do you think he can keep going for?

The last two seasons he has been playing through injury and coming back before he was ready. Hopefully with a few months proper rest now (from the club as well) and the right treatment he can be back and ready for 2008. Not so confident about Brian McGuigan though, seems like a horrendous eye injury and getting himself fit and well will be his main priority rather than playing GAA.

Uladh

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2007, 02:34:19 PM
Well for a lad of 26, he is subject to a lot of injuries. It's different for players like Mc Guigan who has suffered from freak injuries.
It's the same injuries that keep coming back to haunt O Neill.
How much longer do you think he can keep going for?

repetitive soft tissue injuries is symptomatic of misguided training. either poor s&c, the wrong type of field work at the wrong time or a combination of the two. if that was addressed he could player for tyrone for 10 years. i would contend that a large reason for the early retirement of gaa players is half informed trainers doing the wrong type of training and poor injury prehab and particularly pathetic injury treatment in the long term.

orangeman

Back to the team - who's going to make it next year ?

loughshore lad

Quote from: orangeman on August 14, 2007, 03:23:17 PM
Back to the team - who's going to make it next year ?
Orangeman do you think any of the Ardboe players could make the county panel? What about big John? He was excellent last season but went off the boil this year although he is coming good again. He didnt get a trial last year.
Have you any other suggestions of potential players from other clubs? I agree with your comment about Niall McGinn - he destroyed the Ardboe defence when they played earlier in the season.

I think Colm McGurk, Ciaran McAleer (I think its Ciaran - wee Dan if that helps) and Gaby McCallin from Carmen are all worth a look if they would be interested as would Barry Donnelly of Brocagh.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Wee Roddy

McGurk, Wee Dan and Gaby are Carmens 3 best players behind Conor but Gaby was looked about a few years ago and would not go and Wee Dan and McGurk were asked to go to trials a few years ago but declined as it was the week of a league final as far as i know. To me I wish Gaby had of went to county football as i think it may have harnessed one of the best raw talents in this county. I think that John McConville should be looked at for midfield and not this full forward think that everyone is obsessing (sp)with, Cathal McCarron from Dromore and Peter Campbell from Coalisland. Talk of Paul Rafferty, Cathal McCarron from Omagh even Ronan McNally from Carrickmore really annoys me because none of these men will win a ball when the chips are down for their club so how would they win it against better players on county teams in the white heat of championship?