The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: ross4life on July 24, 2011, 11:49:20 PM
Cheers Ziggy. Don't Kerry still have to beat Tyrone in a big game to?

They beat us in '86.
Testing Accessibility

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ross4life

Quote from: ziggysego on July 24, 2011, 11:50:14 PM

They beat us in '86.
Ok. Must be thinking of that team of the decade(s) business you two had going on.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

This Years Model

To whomever it concerns, Ian Ryan's free was over the bar on Saturday night. Showing the TV replay over and over again was completely pointless as it gave no indication whatsoever about whether the ball was inside the post or not.

In the stand I would have been a bit to the left of the ref's view as he looked on, and the ball was always inside the left upright.

If Anthony Masterson was going to have a whinge he should have brought up Stevie Kelly's assault on him immediately after the goal. It earned him a yellow card which is just about the most despicable cop-out of all times, and he can consider himself a very lucky boy to be eligible to play in the All-Ireland Q-Final.

All that said, fair play to Limerick for a fantastic comeback on a night of gripping Championship fare in Portlaoise. The best 15 Euro I spent for myself and two boys in a long time.

Brolly - as a hurler himself - should also have pointed out that Joey Wadding had his hand on Ian Ryan's back for the free-in which won the game. Any boy that played hurling - or football - from the age of 10 was told that if you put your hand on the fella's back, you're fair game for a foul to be blown against you.

ziggysego

Quote from: ross4life on July 24, 2011, 11:54:02 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 24, 2011, 11:50:14 PM

They beat us in '86.
Ok. Must be thinking of that team of the decade(s) business you two had going on.

Well true, they haven't beaten us in a big game in the 2000s.
Testing Accessibility

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: samwin08 on July 24, 2011, 11:45:59 PM
Brolly: Cork 'primitive', Canty 'overrated'
By Terry Reilly

Saturday, July 23, 2011

FORMER Derry star Joe Brolly has labelled Cork football as "primitive" and Graham Canty as "overrated".

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/brolly-cork-primitive-canty-overrated-161980.html#ixzz1T483mUrb
when you read brollys article its fairly accurate from a ruthlessly honest tactical analysis point of view especially about dublins last 5mins last yr, dont really think its fair for Terry reilliy to basically pick out the negatives and make an article of it for himself, lazy or what?

Brollys entitled to his opinion like everybody else, on this occasion i dont its fair to say hes lost the plot. I actually think its refreshing for an analyst to go past the normal cliched analysis and say what he really thinks.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: This Years Model on July 24, 2011, 11:54:36 PM
To whomever it concerns, Ian Ryan's free was over the bar on Saturday night. Showing the TV replay over and over again was completely pointless as it gave no indication whatsoever about whether the ball was inside the post or not.

In the stand I would have been a bit to the left of the ref's view as he looked on, and the ball was always inside the left upright.

If Anthony Masterson was going to have a whinge he should have brought up Stevie Kelly's assault on him immediately after the goal. It earned him a yellow card which is just about the most despicable cop-out of all times, and he can consider himself a very lucky boy to be eligible to play in the All-Ireland Q-Final.

All that said, fair play to Limerick for a fantastic comeback on a night of gripping Championship fare in Portlaoise. The best 15 Euro I spent for myself and two boys in a long time.

Brolly - as a hurler himself - should also have pointed out that Joey Wadding had his hand on Ian Ryan's back for the free-in which won the game. Any boy that played hurling - or football - from the age of 10 was told that if you put your hand on the fella's back, you're fair game for a foul to be blown against you.
Fair play posting that being on the wrong end of the score, i wish i could take defeat with as much dignity as yourself. Hope limerick do themselves justice the next day.

Dont Matter

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 25, 2011, 12:06:59 AM

Fair play posting that being on the wrong end of the score, i wish i could take defeat with as much dignity as yourself. Hope limerick do themselves justice the next day.

The only problem is he says he was in the stand, if he was in the stand he would of been to the right of the referee and in no position to judge if it was over. Maybe he meant he was on the terrace.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Jinxy

Quote from: samwin08 on July 24, 2011, 11:41:46 PM
Time for cutbacks at RTE. Me thinks  Brolly had a glass bottle of wine with his dinner tonight before he came on the programme. Time for Brolly and Spillane to move on. Really think Brolly has lost it. Fair play to Tony Davis for contradicting him.

Didn't think Davis had it in him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gold

Yeah fair play to you.

As for Brolly--if he left he'd be a huge loss to the Sunday Game--he makes fantastic TV and his observations were pretty much spot on about Cork and about the Limerick score etc. Far, far better that the cliched borefest 'everybody is great' analysis you'd get from Alan Shearer types
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

This Years Model

My bad, DM. I wasn't in the covered stand, I was in the terracing opposite the covered stand, on the left hand side of the pitch looking over Ryan's shoulder as he kicked it.

ross4life

TBH That free Limerick got at the end of the game looked like a dive from Ryan.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lily4life

It's very hard to listen to Joe Brolly on The Sunday Game at times.
Kildare win and he decides to single out a player and insult him for a performance a year ago.
He thought the controversial point at the end of the Wexford match was funny, doubt he would have felt the same if it was Derry in the same situation.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Dont Matter on July 25, 2011, 12:10:31 AM

The only problem is he says he was in the stand, if he was in the stand he would of been to the right of the referee and in no position to judge if it was over. Maybe he meant he was on the terrace.
Im just presuming he meant terrace, your correct, im sure it was a typo, the standside would of had poor view, the point itself reminded me of Colm McGee winner last yr against Galway for us, i was behind it all the way and it was over but spectacularly high and its not easy for umpires to get it right but glad for fair play that if was a point it was given.

Orangemac

Quote from: Lily4life on July 25, 2011, 12:21:52 AM
It's very hard to listen to Joe Brolly on The Sunday Game at times.
Kildare win and he decides to single out a player and insult him for a performance a year ago.
He thought the controversial point at the end of the Wexford match was funny, doubt he would have felt the same if it was Derry in the same situation.
Not for the first time Brolly seems to have been enjoying the refreshments in RTE before the show. Watch his hand gestures when he is pontificating.

I have no problem with him going against the flow, I agree about Cork still needing to beat Kerry, he doesn't need to be so condascending doing it.These are amateur players and officials. By all means point out mistakes just don't be so spiteful about it.

Just wondering how did Brolly see the Derry/Kildare, Cork/Down and Armagh/Tyrone games? Did rte give him footage of the game in Omagh?