The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

The quality of preparation is a relevant factor in how a team performs so I don't see why that should have been ignored in the post match analysis. I don't know if O'Hara is correct in his assessment of Walsh but from reading the Sligo boys here he is so it is relevant when analysing what happened.

imtommygunn

It was personal and non objective. It wasn't really about the match either.

It was Des Cahill's fault really. He set it up. O'Hara was just honest in his answer.

It's high time Spillane was sacked and it's also time they stuck to proper analysis and less of the controversy. There's barely one of them boys capable of doing some proper non half assed objective analysis of a game. That clip where they picked on McNiece was ridiculous. The left half back was doing nothing on the left side of defense to combat a boy making a strong run down that same side but sure it's the left half forwards fault.

Mayo Mick

Quote from: Zulu on May 27, 2013, 09:59:31 PM
The quality of preparation is a relevant factor in how a team performs so I don't see why that should have been ignored in the post match analysis. I don't know if O'Hara is correct in his assessment of Walsh but from reading the Sligo boys here he is so it is relevant when analysing what happened.

It is a factor but analysis requires facts to be assembled in a disinterested way - anyway most of what he had to say was not analysis but not missing an opportunity to get the boot into Walsh. Saying he should resign has nothing to do with analysis. If there was a Galway panelist on last week would he be right if he knifed Mullholland. Should every county have their own panelist on TSG to provide the inside analysis!!!

O'Hara was a great footballer but he has a bit of growing up to do yet at 36.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Zulu

No analysis is non objective to some degree and when it's your own county it's less so. I agree entirely re Spillane, truly awful stuff from him as usual.

INDIANA

i don't agree. It was the wrong forum to do it and to me as a neutral he came across poorly

Had he kept the tenet of the conversation simply to what you describe I'd have agreed but it began and ended with him.

I don't doubt the misgivings of the Sligo posters here on Walsh but the conversation should have stuck to its brief and left him out of it.

the fact that it didn't meant that people today are talking about him not being there rather then the poor preparation of the team,

I'll leave it up to posters to decide which is more important. I think it was an opportunity missed

Zulu

Quote from: Mayo Mick on May 27, 2013, 10:13:32 PM

It is a factor but analysis requires facts to be assembled in a disinterested way - anyway most of what he had to say was not analysis but not missing an opportunity to get the boot into Walsh. Saying he should resign has nothing to do with analysis. If there was a Galway panelist on last week would he be right if he knifed Mullholland. Should every county have their own panelist on TSG to provide the inside analysis!!!

O'Hara was a great footballer but he has a bit of growing up to do yet at 36.

But it appears Sligo are a shambles under Walsh so it is relevant to their performance. Walsh is the manager of an IC team so he has accept he can be criticised, as do we. Mullholland isn't there long enough but if they showed no sign of improvement next and took another tanking then it would be perfectly reasonable to question his position. Anyway, I didn't think O'Hara put the boot in and referenced more than Walsh in his analysis. The selection and tactics are wrong too by all accounts and if true Walsh has to shoulder much of the blame.

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on May 27, 2013, 10:16:15 PM

i don't agree. It was the wrong forum to do it and to me as a neutral he came across poorly

Had he kept the tenet of the conversation simply to what you describe I'd have agreed but it began and ended with him.

I don't doubt the misgivings of the Sligo posters here on Walsh but the conversation should have stuck to its brief and left him out of it.

the fact that it didn't meant that people today are talking about him not being there rather then the poor preparation of the team,

I'll leave it up to posters to decide which is more important. I think it was an opportunity missed

I don't see how it was the incorrect forum, it was on a program meant to analyse GAA. CB structures and management obviously feed into IC performances,  if they are substandard surely it is reasonable to reference that. Sligo don't have the players to win an All Ireland but they do have plenty to beat London I would suspect so getting beat does raise questions. Walsh isn't working with disadvantaged kids, he is a big boy managing in a high profile sport so when his team get beaten by the weakest team in the competition then it's fair to question his position IMO and that's what O'Hara did.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on May 27, 2013, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 27, 2013, 10:16:15 PM

I don't see how it was the incorrect forum, it was on a program meant to analyse GAA. CB structures and management obviously feed into IC performances,  if they are substandard surely it is reasonable to reference that. Sligo don't have the players to win an All Ireland but they do have plenty to beat London I would suspect so getting beat does raise questions. Walsh isn't working with disadvantaged kids, he is a big boy managing in a high profile sport so when his team get beaten by the weakest team in the competition then it's fair to question his position IMO and that's what O'Hara did.

You haven't once answered any posters misgivings on the subject.

National TV is not an appropriate forum for an individual to raise the issue of himself not being selected on an analysis show. The other individual didn't have the right of reply

Nobody disagrees on anything else you've said. He's entitled to raise all the issues you mention but he is not entitled in my view to use the analysis section as his own soapbox as to why/why not he wasn't selected

Mayo Mick

QuoteBut it appears Sligo are a shambles under Walsh

Beat Galway last year and ran us to a couple of points in CF. Hardly a shambles then. Any the point is that problems with management and preparations are part of analysis when the person doing the analysis is somewhat objective. O'Hara has the gig because he is supposed to analyse what he sees on the field - not because he can bring biased tittle tattle. TSG is a national programme and the pundits are supposed to be able to leave county loyalties and grudges aside.

I'll leave it if you don't understand analysis or the role of a pundit or are too loyal to recently retired players.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on May 27, 2013, 10:15:02 PM
No analysis is non objective to some degree and when it's your own county it's less so. I agree entirely re Spillane, truly awful stuff from him as usual.

You're dead when Hardy gets here.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

QuoteNobody disagrees on anything else you've said. He's entitled to raise all the issues you mention but he is not entitled in my view to use the analysis section as his own soapbox as to why/why not he wasn't selected

He was asked why he wasn't there, he said he couldn't give the commitment asked by Walsh so it was fair enough for Walsh not to pick him. All very uncontroversial IMO and nothing that I would feel Walsh would be overly upset about.

QuoteI'll leave it if you don't understand analysis or the role of a pundit or are too loyal to recently retired players.

Are you saying that of me? I'm not a Sligo man so I couldn't care less about O'Hara beyond his analysis which I thought was poor the first night but was honest and reasoned last night.

QuoteBeat Galway last year and ran us to a couple of points in CF. Hardly a shambles then.

Counties can improve/disimprove from year to year and beating Galway is hardly a sign of rude health. I don't know anything about Sligo but none of the Sligo posters here disagree with O'Hara so it seems fair to accept all is far from well behind the scenes.

QuoteO'Hara has the gig because he is supposed to analyse what he sees on the field - not because he can bring biased tittle tattle

No he's not. He's meant to assess games on what he knows about the game overall. To accept your view then if O'Hara knew a guy was sick all week and played poorly he shouldn't say the guy was very ill all week but should simply say the guy was useless today and not inform us of any off field reasons he was poor. Now I accept he shouldn't yell us he is having marital issues or something like that but that would be non-football stuff, the merits of a manager are not out of bounds.

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on May 27, 2013, 10:51:09 PM
Quote from: Zulu on May 27, 2013, 10:15:02 PM

You're dead when Hardy gets here.

it dont reed wel, know doubt,,

Wildweasel74

We looking at a tag team match up with natural disasters Paul Grimley and Kevin Walsh up against willow the wisp motor mouth Joe brolly and the shoot from the hip sligo legend O`Hara. Spillane to referee. lol

Mayo Mick

QuoteQuote
I'll leave it if you don't understand analysis or the role of a pundit or are too loyal to recently retired players.

Are you saying that of me? I'm not a Sligo man so I couldn't care less about O'Hara beyond his analysis which I thought was poor the first night but was honest and reasoned last night.

Yes - saying it of you. Did not think you were from Sligo but you did seem intent on defending   O'Hara's call for Walshe's resignation " as analysis"!! And you seem to miss the point that O'Hara is on the TSG panel as a national pundit andit is not a  forum for him to address the ills of Sligo football. The lad just let his own ego get in the way of the job he was supposed to be doing. As I said not helped by the question from Cahill.

Syferus

Aye, the lad who hasn't a clue about the situation is right while the man from the county is the edjit. C'mon guys, step up your game.