Heaney blasts BBCNI

Started by bennydorano, November 06, 2007, 09:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

In today's Irish News 'Against the breeze' section,maybe someone could post it.

saffron sam2

And right he is too.

Rugby on Friday, soccer on Saturday, damn all Sunday 
Against The Breeze 
By Paddy Heaney 

Have you forked out £135.50 for your licence fee? Do you like Gaelic games? Are you becoming increasingly incensed by the BBC's lack of coverage? If you have answered 'yes' to these questions, then read on.

As a sports journalist whose chief concern is Gaelic football, I am liable to feelings of bias.

But having considered the evidence, it seems blindingly obvious that BBC Northern Ireland is failing to cater for licence fee-payers who like Gaelic games.

Let's consider the facts. On Friday night, the Ulster rugby team travelled to Scotland to play Glasgow Warriors in the Magners League.

The game was broadcast live on Radio Ulster. The BBC provided live commentary and expert analysis from Firhill.

On Saturday, Michael McNamee hosted the weekly Saturday Sports Sound. Live commentary was provided from a Carnegie Premier League game, while there were regular updates from the other six fixtures.

Meanwhile, on Sunday, the Ulster Club Championship got into full throttle when four quarter-finals took place in Celtic Park, Healy Park, Casement Park and Clones.

The only official attendance was at Clones where 3,656 supporters watched the encounter between Crossmaglen Rangers and Clontibret.

There were roughly 2,500 supporters at the other three games, and that's a very conservative estimate.

All in all, the four games would have drawn a combined gate of approximately 11,000.

This compares favourably with the combined attendance of all seven Carnegie Premier League games.

Interest in the Ulster club matches would have also extended beyond the parishes and county borders of the teams involved.

Unfortunately, any licence fee-payer seeking radio commentary on these games would have been sorely disappointed.

While BBC Northern Ireland can cover rugby in Glasgow on a Friday night, and soccer from seven different venues on a Saturday – it seems the budget doesn't stretch to the Ulster Club Championship.

As a licence fee-payer, I believe this situation is grossly unfair. And as a licence fee-payer who loves Gaelic football, I believe the BBC is failing in its duty to be a public service broadcaster that meets the needs of the entire community.

At this stage, it's vitally important to point out that I do not begrudge rugby and soccer fans the coverage they receive from the BBC.

The attendances at Ravenhill provide concrete evidence of the interest in Ulster rugby and it's entirely appropriate that the games are broadcast on radio.

And while the attendances at Irish League games aren't as buoyant, there is an established interest in the game and the BBC has an obligation to cover the local semi-professional league.

However, the same reasons apply to Gaelic games. There has been no live radio coverage of any game since Derry played Galway in the All-Ireland minor final.

All the recent county finals were completely ignored. On Sunday October 7, when four county football finals and one hurling final took place in Antrim, Derry, Down and Cavan, the airwaves were silent.

There were about 7,000 fans at the drawn Derry county final between Glenullin and Bellaghy. A slightly smaller crowd attended the replay.

The Tyrone county final between Dromore and Coalisland was watched by about 9,000 supporters.

Radio coverage isn't particularly expensive and when compared to television it's absolute peanuts.

Covering a county final involves paying a freelance reporter his basic fee and mileage expenses.

Given the crowds attending these matches, it is baffling how BBC executives can justify ignoring them.

In the past, such circumstances have not been unknown to gaels.

And in days gone by the BBC was accused of prejudice and labelled the 'Bigoted Broadcasting Corporation'. However, I firmly believe that these accusations are no longer relevant.

While the BBC is unquestionably guilty of inadequate coverage of Gaelic games, the reasons for this anomaly stem from old habits, a poor allocation of resources, and decision-makers who are genuinely unaware of the massive public interest in Gaelic games.

When faced with the complaints from this column, the BBC will point to diminishing funds and the necessity to tighten purse strings.

But this defence doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny. For instance, last Saturday, the BBC sent a reporter to every single game in the Carnegie Premier League.

There were 80 supporters at a recent match between Armagh City and Limavady United. That's right – 80 supporters and a BBC radio reporter.

Meanwhile, over 3,000 fans watched Crossmaglen Rangers begin the defence of their Ulster title on Sunday and there wasn't a BBC radio broadcaster in sight.

When the BBC's midweek Championship television programme was ditched this year, the press office cited poor audience figures for the reason behind the decision. Fair enough.

But if the BBC is going to use 'popularity' as the common denominator for coverage then how can it cover soccer matches that attract paltry attendances while ignoring GAA games that draw thousands?

Habit is a large part of the problem. For years, the BBC have had a reporter at every Premier League game and that's why they continue this practice.

But, given the reduced funds, maybe it's time the powers-that-be had a rethink.

Maybe it's time they distributed their resources in a more equitable manner.

The current schedule of rugby on a Friday, soccer on a Saturday and damn all on a Sunday is untenable and indefensible, particularly when many of the Sunday games are attracting the largest gates.

In the meantime, it's up to you, the humble gael and licence fee-payer to express your disappointment with the current situation. There's no point in me ranting about it on my own.

Stand up and be counted. Inform the relevant individuals in the BBC about how much you miss the radio coverage on a Sunday.

Shane Glynn is the Executive Producer of Sport , Mike Edgar is the Head of Sport and Ailsa Orr is the Head of Programmes.

Get in touch with Shane, Mike and Ailsa and let them know how much you love Gaelic games.

Convey your disappointment at the BBC's failure to provide coverage of the county finals and the qualifying rounds of the Ulster Club Championship.

Ask them politely if they can reconsider how they allocate their funds so they can come up with a less lop-sided schedule.

You can drop them an email or even use the old fashioned means by writing a letter.

The address is Broadcasting House, Ormeau Avenue, Belfast, BT2 8HQ.

And if you fear that it will be Christmas before the letter arrives, telephone the complaints department on 08700 100 222 (select option 2).

Don't think about it. Don't slabber about it. Don't leave it to someone else. If you pay a licence fee, and you believe the BBC isn't treating you fairly, then let them know about it NOW.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Balboa

I hope everyone does as Paddy says at the end of his piece, dont just whinge and cry about it on here, contact the BBC.

heffo

He's dead right. I don't often agree with him, but he's bang on the money here.

tyssam5

Sandy Hill

Maith thú, Paddy Heaney: now, I wonder where did he get the inspiration for this article?    ???

Now everybody, ring the BBC!
"Stercus accidit"

glens73

I have sent 4 e-mails to complain to the BBC about the lack of GAA coverage on a Sunday. They were sent right from when the Antrim Hurling Final was played and followed up the next 3 weekends.

Jerome Quinn was even copied in on the last one. I have not had a single reply.

Bensars

Done.

A young lad on the other end is going to earn his money today.

I think in the past an odd e amil or complaint was just lost/ignored in the system. They will find it more difficult to ignore if there is a concerted approach. Totally bombard the complaints department and everyone request confirmation of complaint.

Balboa

snatter

YOu may find it easier and cheaper to make a complaint online:

MAKE SURE YOU PICK THE LAST OPTION

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/make_complaint_step1.shtml

deiseach

Quote from: Bensars on November 06, 2007, 09:46:41 AM
I think in the past an odd e amil or complaint was just lost/ignored in the system. They will find it more difficult to ignore if there is a concerted approach. Totally bombard the complaints department and everyone request confirmation of complaint.

Ha! If they get a few, they claim no one shares your concerns. If they get thousands, they dismiss it as an orchestrated campaign. You can't beat The Man.

Stalin

anyone got an email address?

you should maybe all think about copying your letters in here too?
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

robertemmet

Just submitted a complaint via that online form.  Let's all do the same.

Bensars

Shane Glynn is the Executive Producer of Sport     shane.glynn@bbc.co.uk
Mike Edgar is the Head of Sport                  mike.edgar@bbc.co.uk
Ailsa Orr is the Head of Programmes            ailsa.orr@bbc.co.uk

complaints department on 08700 100 222 (select option 2).

I spoke to a young fella taking the calls, and he seems major hacked off already. You could nearly hear it in his voice " ffs not another one" ;D

ONeill

Let's burn our TVs. That'll hurt them.

Adrian Logan's UTV are just as bad. From running a lazy article on Glenullin winning the Derry championship last Monaday (8 days later) to Logan's error-ridden voiceover on St Gall's yesterday, the GAA is well down the pecking order.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.