How much do you drink?

Started by Hardy, October 16, 2018, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many units of alcohol do you drink per week on average?

I am under 31 and I drink 10 or fewer units per week
9 (4.8%)
I am under 31 and I drink 11-20 units per week
4 (2.1%)
I am under 31 and I drink 21-40 units per week
1 (0.5%)
I am under 31 and I drink 41-60 units per week
0 (0%)
I am under 31 and I drink 61-80 units per week
0 (0%)
I am under 31 and I drink more than 80 units per week
1 (0.5%)
I am 31-50 and I drink 10 or fewer units per week
71 (37.6%)
I am 31-50 and I drink 11-20 units per week
32 (16.9%)
I am 31-50 and I drink 21-40 units per week
25 (13.2%)
I am 31-50 and I drink 41-60 units per week
9 (4.8%)
I am 31-50 and I drink 61-80 units per week
4 (2.1%)
I am 31-50 and I drink more than 80 units per week
4 (2.1%)
I am 50+ and I drink 10 or fewer units per week
9 (4.8%)
I am 50+ and I drink 11-20 units per week
3 (1.6%)
I am 50+ and I drink 21-40 units per week
5 (2.6%)
I am 50+ and I drink 41-60 units per week
6 (3.2%)
I am 50+ and I drink 61-80 units per week
0 (0%)
I am 50+ and I drink more than 80 units per week
6 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Hardy

Sorry for the new thread, but I thought a poll was in order and only the OP can add a poll to a thread.

A unit of alcohol is
- a HALF pint of standard (4%) beer
- a pub measure of spirits
- a SMALL glass of 12% wine as in 8 glasses to the bottle, so the standard glass most of us would drink is probably two units.

Boycey

I was going to add a poll to the other thread but dithered over what way to best do it.. As said above units a week don't cover everyone's problems/experiences with alcohol.

Hardy

That's right, but it might be interesting anyway to see how much the board drinks and the demographic breakdown.

Tony Baloney

You oul lads are fair putting it away.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 16, 2018, 04:45:21 PM

I'm in that category and for me it's a combination of things.....I have more money, no mortgage, kids through uni, I work shifts so one week no drink, next week no work to worry about. My tolerance for drink has grown as I've aged....think it's because I'm more relaxed about life....as a friend said we are in the back 9 of life.....only thing is we don't know if we are heading up the 10th or half way down 18th. I love going home for a few days, meeting up with the old gang and having a good drink.

Eamonnca1

Great survey. Definitely a trend emerging there

Milltown Row2

80 units... some people drinking 10 bottles of wine a week! Powerful. If I didn't have a job I could afford that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2018, 05:46:09 PM
80 units... some people drinking 10 bottles of wine a week! Powerful. If I didn't have a job I could afford that

Maybe you could afford it if it wasn't for Brexit driving the price of a bottle of wine up...

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Question on how many are lifetime teetotallers or on the wagon could've been useful too.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on October 16, 2018, 08:06:34 PM
Question on how many are lifetime teetotallers or on the wagon could've been useful too.

Agreed. It would be useful to know how many dry shites there are on the board....

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 16, 2018, 08:54:02 PM
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on October 16, 2018, 08:06:34 PM

Agreed. It would be useful to know how many dry shites there are on the board....
So that they can be avoided?

The Iceman

Quote from: Insane Bolt on October 16, 2018, 04:56:42 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 16, 2018, 04:45:21 PM

I'm in that category and for me it's a combination of things.....I have more money, no mortgage, kids through uni, I work shifts so one week no drink, next week no work to worry about. My tolerance for drink has grown as I've aged....think it's because I'm more relaxed about life....as a friend said we are in the back 9 of life.....only thing is we don't know if we are heading up the 10th or half way down 18th. I love going home for a few days, meeting up with the old gang and having a good drink.
your tolerance doesn't go up because you're more relaxed. People's tolerance for any drug goes up when they consume more of it..... When you stop drinking for a year your tolerance will go down. You will still be relaxed about life but your system will not require the same amount of alcohol to get drunk or buzzed or whatever state you're reaching for....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Quote from: OgraAnDun on October 16, 2018, 07:18:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2018, 05:46:09 PM

Maybe you could afford it if it wasn't for Brexit driving the price of a bottle of wine up...

I'm still buying them at Tesco when the 25% offer is on, check it out, or you can make up your wine and save a fortune  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Once you have kids the alcohol intake goes way down, or at least it should. Might have an odd bottle of beer on Friday night watching the tv and that's it really. Couldn't be arsed deal with the hangovers anymore.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Itchy on October 16, 2018, 10:47:36 PM
Once you have kids the alcohol intake goes way down, or at least it should. Might have an odd bottle of beer on Friday night watching the tv and that's it really. Couldn't be arsed deal with the hangovers anymore.

Agree with this. The bit I've bolded really rings true for me.