Sigerson Cup 2018

Started by ck, December 11, 2017, 10:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Sigerson draw has come and gone and hardly arouses any interest anymore. It's a real shame how much this competition is dying a death.

Sigerson Cup Draw 2018
Prem Round
1. AIT v Garda College
2. Trinity v DKIT

Round 1
UCC v Prem 1
NUIG v ITSligo
Queens v ITT
DIT v ITCarlow
St Mary's v UU
UL v CIT
Maynoth v UCD
Prem2 v DCU

skeog

Dying a death due to the import scheme some colleges have not real students.

Rossfan

Good.
Play football with clubs and Counties  (if you're good enough).
Colleges for taxpayer subsidised study/learning not for taxpayer subsidised semi pro football.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ck

Quote from: Rossfan on December 12, 2017, 10:45:00 AM
Good.
Play football with clubs and Counties  (if you're good enough).
Colleges for taxpayer subsidised study/learning not for taxpayer subsidised semi pro football.

Hard to argue with that

Any craic

UCC appear to be the favorites to win the Sigerson Cup. Here's the views of seven players.. https://youtu.be/1TmDkSMbhhA

Blowitupref

UCC 9/4
UCD 11/2
DCU 11/2
UUJ 7/1
NUIG 9/1
UL 11/1
Queens 16/1
St Marys 16/1
DIT 20/1
Garda College 33/1
IT Tralee 33/1
NUI Maynooth 33/1
CIT 40/1
IT Carlow 80/1
IT Sligo 80/1
Dundalk IT 200/1
IT Athlone 250/1
Trinity 250/1
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

magpie seanie

It was never a competition that did much for me bar one good days drinking after a UCD/Trinity game back in the day. The dodgy eligibility issues over the years have tarnished it a lot. Can be a good standard and enjoyable to watch but impacts too many other aspects of gaelic games. However, I think the history of the competition means it's something that should be preserved but it needs a new place in the calendar where it interferes with no other competitions. Late Nov/early Dec makes sense.

ck

Yes it has to be pre Christmas to allow it regain some stand alone attention. I would also make it for non county players only

tippabu

Quote from: ck on January 17, 2018, 10:38:33 PM
Yes it has to be pre Christmas to allow it regain some stand alone attention. I would also make it for non county players only

Taking the county players out would remove all the hype and publicity. 99% of people only follow it to see how lads from their county panel get on.

Syferus

Say goodbye to GAA scholarships so.

Blowitupref

Students also have leagues to play which nearly all games are played before Christmas however the Div 1 final is on tomorrow night UCC v UL so i guess that final was pushed back.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on January 17, 2018, 11:53:23 PM

Say goodbye to GAA scholarships so.

Why do GAA players need scholarships? Should they not do as everyone else has to do?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tippabu on January 17, 2018, 10:44:24 PM

Taking the county players out would remove all the hype and publicity. 99% of people only follow it to see how lads from their county panel get on.

How many people attend these games? Bugger all bar a handful of students with nothing better to be doing.

lenny

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 17, 2018, 10:44:00 AM
It was never a competition that did much for me bar one good days drinking after a UCD/Trinity game back in the day. The dodgy eligibility issues over the years have tarnished it a lot. Can be a good standard and enjoyable to watch but impacts too many other aspects of gaelic games. However, I think the history of the competition means it's something that should be preserved but it needs a new place in the calendar where it interferes with no other competitions. Late Nov/early Dec makes sense.

Let's think of the players for once. Anyone who has played university football will remember it extremely fondly. The players love this competition and as far as I'm concerned it fits nicely into the calendar as it is. Why do we need to cahnge anything? It's over early in the year.