Tipperary v Mayo, Round 2 Qualifier, Semple Stafium. 23/6/18.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 11, 2018, 10:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

I was going to ask if it would be 3 or 4 weeks since Tipp had a game. Four weeks is long enough to get that loss out of the system imo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

Tipperary and Clare have to be the two most overrated teams in the country.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on June 12, 2018, 09:57:52 AM
When were Galway demoted ?
I would say Cavan post promotion were pretty overrated as well and we have to see how good Roscommon are
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tippabu

Quote from: Jinxy on June 12, 2018, 09:57:52 AM

I agree and disagree with you. We still haven't beaten a top team and that's something we need to do. I do think ourselves like alot other's are in amongst the best of the rest where anyone can beat anyone. We probably get talked up more than most die to our style of play and when it's working it's a joy to watch so that will always get talked up. In terms of overrated teams, cork, Meath and probably down would be some of the most overrated based off reputation of years gone by. To be honest are there many teams who aren't overrated? Who'd be an underrated team?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

tippabu

Quote from: Jinxy on June 12, 2018, 11:01:16 AM
Meath are overrated?  ;D
By who?

Most people still talk up Meath.....i admitted I predicted yer game against Tyrone to be an easy Tyrone win and I was wrong. Tbf I based that on seeing Meath 1st hand and based on results the last few years. Tipp mayo is no different than Meath Tyrone in terms of the weaker counties chances. I hope we can put up as good a show as ye did and mayo are a bit off as Tyrone were because we'll need that as well if we are to cause an upset

AZOffaly

I think there's a lot of truth in Tipp and Clare being overrated, and I say that as someone with a lot of grá for Tipp football. I think it stems from the 'breath of fresh air' aspect of both teams. I think a lot of it is, as tippabu says, down to the public's perception of how they play the game, and Kearns' media approach in particular.

In brass tacks though, they are 2 teams who have established themselves as solid, if unspectacular D2 sides, so they are at that level. They are a long way, in my opinion, off the top 3 or 4 in the country, but are probably well in the chasing pack.

The thing is, with counties like Clare and Tipp, you never stay still for long. So one of two things will happen in the next couple of years (irrespective of the results versus Mayo and Offaly).

1 - The solid work will continue, two relatively young teams. They get the odd couple of good lads pushing on, and the younger lads mature a bit more. They kick on, get promoted to D1, or at worst become established D2 teams. They start expecting good summers instead of hoping for them, and crucially they deliver.

2 - It stagnates. They struggle in D2 next year, get relegated in 2019 or 2020. Better players start to go stale and/or retire. Fresh blood struggles to establish itself as the momentum reverses. And before you know it, you're back to D3 or D4 and trying to start again.

I hope it's 1 for Tipp's sake. I fear it may be 2.

Rossfan

And of course there's the hurley stuff being the major sport in both Counties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

deep down no one rate clare or tipp as football teams. did anyone in mayo go 'oh damn' when they heard we fot Tipp and dispite theyre good showing  last year against mayo  no one would have been too worried had we got them again.
Like no one will consider this a  a great mayo team until next September no one will realy have any worries about tipp or clare till they beat a proper good team
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Blowitupref

Quote from: rosnarun on June 12, 2018, 04:16:41 PM
deep down no one rate clare or tipp as football teams. did anyone in mayo go 'oh damn' when they heard we fot Tipp and dispite theyre good showing  last year against mayo  no one would have been too worried had we got them again.
Like no one will consider this a  a great mayo team until next September no one will realy have any worries about tipp or clare till they beat a proper good team
Tipp beat Galway something Mayo haven't been able to do in their last 3 championship games. Clare biggest win was against Roscommon in 2016 they wouldn't have won that game if the rossies had extra week or two to prepare for that game IMO.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

shark

I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks Tipp or Clare are in the top 8 in the country. At least I haven't heard it said. Getting to the last 8, and being top 8 are not the same thing as you can be lucky/unlucky with the draw(s). To say they are both top 16 teams doesn't overrate them in my opinion. But as has been said time and time again, once you get outside the top 4/5 teams there is not much between the next 15 or so.
For the future Tipp seem better placed to become a (consistent) top 8 team, but they will still find it very difficult. As mentioned above hurling is number one in both counties. Kennedy and the McGrath's would make some difference for Tipp (there are no doubt others too). Likewise Podge Collins and Conor Cleary for Clare.

Gael85

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 12, 2018, 04:24:30 PM
Tipp beat Galway something Mayo haven't been able to do in their last 3 championship games. Clare biggest win was against Roscommon in 2016 they wouldn't have won that game if the rossies had extra week or two to prepare for that game IMO.

Easy to use that excuse now. That was Clare third game in 20 days at the time with a very pool of players. They were promoted against the odds that year against Roscommon who made semi final of Division 1

larryin89

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 12, 2018, 04:24:30 PM

Yeah I suppose that's true or Mayo knocked Kerry out of the championship last year , when did tipp last do that .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Gael85

Quote from: shark on June 12, 2018, 04:40:19 PM
I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks Tipp or Clare are in the top 8 in the country. At least I haven't heard it said. Getting to the last 8, and being top 8 are not the same thing as you can be lucky/unlucky with the draw(s). To say they are both top 16 teams doesn't overrate them in my opinion. But as has been said time and time again, once you get outside the top 4/5 teams there is not much between the next 15 or so.
For the future Tipp seem better placed to become a (consistent) top 8 team, but they will still find it very difficult. As mentioned above hurling is number one in both counties. Kennedy and the McGrath's would make some difference for Tipp (there are no doubt others too). Likewise Podge Collins and Conor Cleary for Clare.

Conor McGrath and Cathal McInerney are probably 2 best club footballers in Clare but hurling is their priority.