player managers

Started by youngfella, October 26, 2008, 07:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

Only after attending a game where the manager (touching 40s) choose himself and a friend (also round 40) to play, infront of two younger fitter players suited to the two positions. The team lost mainly due the old boys and some awful ref-ing. Has anyone seen a situation were player manager has being successful?
Pull hard and early

Uladh

Brian McEniff player / manager took donegal to an ulster title

brokencrossbar1

Soccer, but Kenny Daglish player/managed Liverpool to the Double in his first season, scoring the winning goal against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge to seal the win the league.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: youngfella on October 26, 2008, 07:24:41 PM
Only after attending a game where the manager (touching 40s) choose himself and a friend (also round 40) to play, infront of two younger fitter players suited to the two positions. The team lost mainly due the old boys and some awful ref-ing. Has anyone seen a situation were player manager has being successful?

What did the rest of the team do about the two younger lads getting shafted? I go mental if i seen that done. The way you describe makes it sound like that manager doesnt give a f*ck about the team and just wants to prolong his playing days. Id start a player revolt and get rid of him. He isnt there for the team only himself.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

youngfella

I seemed that way Sligoian i guess the fella has to much pride to shallow, but the rest of the team or the two boys didnt uttered a word. I feel if player manager is incharge, he will miss out on seeing the over all view off that he would get if he was on the sideline. I'm totally raging the **** blew a chance at winning a county final that was within the grasp of the team
Pull hard and early

supersub

mickey linden player manager of mayobridge for a while. exceptional circumstance though, excellent player and team. worked well but did not always play himself!

supersub

so basically the same as francie bellew then :D

under the bar

Was Joey Cunningham player-mgr with Cross?

corn02

Quote from: under the bar on October 27, 2008, 08:41:19 AM
Was Joey Cunningham player-mgr with Cross?

Don't think he ever combined the two.

robertemmet

Eugene Kelly was player/manager of Dungiven when they won the Derry and Ulster Club titles in 1997

Hardy

I got it from the online DI, dated  2003 - a feature headlined something like "From The Archives - 75 Years Ago", which would put it at 1928.

I like the bit where the whole thing started when the ref told a player to put out a fag! While you can hardly imagine that these days (Westmeath subs notwithstanding), some of the language of the GAA doesn't change in three quarters of a century - "put on a Tallanstown jersey".

I know from my associations with the general vicinity in my youth that Dreadnoughts had a fearsome reputation. Does it still exist?

Canalman

The obvious most successful  player/manager would have to be Tony Hanahoe in 1977.

magpie seanie

QuoteOnly after attending a game where the manager (touching 40s) choose himself and a friend (also round 40) to play, infront of two younger fitter players suited to the two positions. The team lost mainly due the old boys and some awful ref-ing. Has anyone seen a situation were player manager has being successful?

Do the two young lads always turn up at training and matches or is their committment a bit suspect? What kind of footballers are they - you only mentioned that they are fitter than the other lads? I know plenty of lads in their late 30's that I'd pick ahead of young lads who can run all day but don't bother or are poor players. For my sins I look after one of the adult teams in my club and have made the mistake of picking young lads with crap committment over older lads who know the game and are committed. You'd be trying to encourage the young lads starting out rather than older lads near the end of the road. It doesn't work from my experience. When you're short numbers you're delighted to see the ould boyos coming in the door.

J70

Quote from: Uladh on October 26, 2008, 07:31:32 PM

Brian McEniff player / manager took donegal to an ulster title

Make that two ('72 and '74).

McHugh would have been player-manager had he been appointed in '94. Its a shame we never got to see how that would have turned out.