Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Indeed. Living in the 21st Century as opposed to the 17th helps.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haranguerer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 05, 2019, 01:03:12 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on November 05, 2019, 08:25:21 AM
Course they have, in an attempt to draw a false equivalence. Such a bigoted rag

I dont think its a false equivalence. You support McLean dropping his head, you cant criticise Mannus standing respectfully.

But the Telegraph seems to be contriving a story where none exists. The south seems to he far more mature, as if thats news.

Its the Belfast Telegraph - it isn't reporting a story, its trying to create one. Its aimed at trying to get a reaction from northern nationalists.

Also, Alan Mannus deserves no criticism - he is entitled to do whatever he wants (within reason), as is anyone in a similar situation, more power to them. However, drawing parallells with James McClean (which is the point of the story) is a false equivalence, and will be until the Irish army act in Larne similarly to how the British army acted in Derry.

trailer

I think everyone should respect all anthems and flags no matter what. The Tri-Colour is the flag of an independent and sovereign nation. He should respect it.
The question is did he disrespect it by not turning towards it? Probable not IMO.

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on November 05, 2019, 03:12:02 PM
I think everyone should respect all anthems and flags no matter what. The Tri-Colour is the flag of an independent and sovereign nation. He should respect it.
The question is did he disrespect it by not turning towards it? Probable not IMO.

Nonsense - people should be entitled to do as they please.

BennyCake

When two teams are lined up before an international match, one team usually faces their flag for the anthem, while the other doesn't. Are the whole other team not disrespecting their opponents flag then?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: haranguerer on November 05, 2019, 02:16:58 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 05, 2019, 01:03:12 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on November 05, 2019, 08:25:21 AM
Course they have, in an attempt to draw a false equivalence. Such a bigoted rag

I dont think its a false equivalence. You support McLean dropping his head, you cant criticise Mannus standing respectfully.

But the Telegraph seems to be contriving a story where none exists. The south seems to he far more mature, as if thats news.

Its the Belfast Telegraph - it isn't reporting a story, its trying to create one. Its aimed at trying to get a reaction from northern nationalists.

Also, Alan Mannus deserves no criticism - he is entitled to do whatever he wants (within reason), as is anyone in a similar situation, more power to them. However, drawing parallells with James McClean (which is the point of the story) is a false equivalence, and will be until the Irish army act in Larne similarly to how the British army acted in Derry.
There is an equivalent in so far as supporting the right works both ways.

lurganblue

I'd agree with that.  I don't get the outrage here (or the manufactured outrage).

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Taylor on November 05, 2019, 03:28:14 PM

Nonsense - people should be entitled to do as they please.

I think his point is that Mannus didn't disrespect the tricolour or anthem. He stood there, arms by side. If he bowed his head or had a stretch, different debate. I'm sure the Rovers fans would be quick to call him out if he was disrespectful

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: lurganblue on November 05, 2019, 03:42:56 PM

I'd agree with that.  I don't get the outrage here (or the manufactured outrage).

Its terrible journalism. Take online comment from people with nothing to do with the event as 'a row' and present as a controversy to try and point to hypocrisy that doesn't really exist. The 'story' is actually about McClean

All they have done is prove the south is a far more tolerant place

Applesisapples

Quote from: lurganblue on November 05, 2019, 03:42:56 PM

The purpose of this story in the BT is to have a go at McClean by proxy. Manus did nothing that I would consider insulting to the flag or anthem.

Jim_Murphy_74

Standing still while the anthem completed, whether facing the flag or not, is a fair improvement on how a lot of GAA teams respect the anthem.

I have observed inter-county teams at high profile games jumping up and down, stretching, spitting, clearing their noses, even picking their shorts out of their arse during the anthem and no one made a fuss out it.

Not a single incident, not matter how innocuous will escape a twitter tirade.  The Telegraph trying to create some klnd of story out of that doesn't deserve to be considered journalism.

/Jim.

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2019, 01:05:01 PM
Says the man bringing it up for discussion on the forum...

6th sam

Quote from: michaelg on November 05, 2019, 05:16:48 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2019, 01:05:01 PM
Says the man bringing it up for discussion on the forum...

Mannus is entitled to do what he wants and I respect him for it. He is unlikely to be a bigot or anti-Irish given that he plays for Rovers .
I think the reaction has been muted , as Most of us Irish aren't insecure about our identity and welcome diversity . Is it possible that Mannus made a judgement call that it was easier to risk upsetting Irish people ,than some NI loyalists for example, who have a history of intolerance and threats for those who are seen to go against their "DUP view" of the world cf Neil Lennon, James McClean, Steve Aitken.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: 6th sam on November 05, 2019, 05:33:36 PM
Is it possible that Mannus made a judgement call that it was easier to risk upsetting Irish people ,than some NI loyalists for example, who have a history of intolerance for those who are seen to go against their DUP view of the world cf Neil Lennon, James McClean, Steve Aitken

Yerra, were there that many watching the formalities of the FAI Cup final in the hope of catching some outrage?

Time to move on and persecute people about poppies or lack of them.

/Jim.