2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Now now FoSB.
No need to be dragging poor Seafoid into it.
He has enough to be getting on with without thinking about Tyrone or Mayo

From the highlights I saw on youtube it was a weird game of ball. Tyrone kicked some amazing good points but Mayo seemed like startled noseflies sorry earywigs.
They seemed to give Tyrone a lot of space and Tyrone could had two more goals.

Deegan certainly had a weird game and I wonder was McNulty's red a ref reacting to his earlier sending off.
Do refs SOMETIMES decide on the punishment when they see how bad the other guy is injured. I dunno.

I was impressed with how we seem to be playing a lot more forward passes and diagonal long balls like the excellent one in from Mulgrew to Brennan who turned his man at will all day long and scored a lovely point.
A lot to feel positive about including Frank Burns and McShane again.
I think Mattie should play at 6 each week but with a licence to roam forward up the middle and have Colm covering him. Mattie can shoot off either foot and hold off a tackler with ease.

Was Harte right to hold back Lee Brennan until now. No easy answer on that one but I'd say most counties would have played him the last 2 years.

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 20, 2018, 12:14:52 PM
Now now FoSB.

From the highlights I saw on youtube it was a weird game of ball. Tyrone kicked some amazing good points but Mayo seemed like startled noseflies sorry earywigs.

Deegan certainly had a weird game and I wonder was McNulty's red a ref reacting to his earlier sending off.
Do refs SOMETIMES decide on the punishment when they see how bad the other guy is injured. I dunno.

I was impressed with how we seem to be playing a lot more forward passes and diagonal long balls like the excellent one in from Mulgrew to Brennan who turned his man at will all day long and scored a lovely point.
I think Mattie should play at 6 each week but with a licence to roam forward up the middle and have Colm covering him. Mattie can shoot off either foot and hold off a tackler with ease.

Was Harte right to hold back Lee Brennan until now. No easy answer on that one but I'd say most counties would have played him the last 2 years.
Well hello stranger.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

Deegan consulted with the linesman  before giving Cavanagh the black card. The linesman was just a metre away and still couldn't see what happened, I wouldn't put that one on Deegan but he fell for Bradley's  blatant dive, hook line and sinker

redhandefender

Back from mayo, highlights package doesn't do justice to how poor mayo were. Tyrone are getting better but wouldnt be getting carried away. We have started taking our chances at least.

Aidan O'Shea is the most overrated player at the minute. Can't see what he added the other day just getting involved in stupid stuff. You would think mayo would be tight on their discipline after the donny vaughan incident in AI final but they were at stuff all day. Mayo ones whinging about tyrone being dirty. The one bad moment from tyrone was mc nulty hit. I can see why the ref gave a red but i don't think it was.

Cavanagh shouldnt have been blacked, Bradley did not dive, complete nonsense, harsh on boyle as bradley iis so small but still hit him, Boyle should have been off for hp mcgeary challenege which was worse than mc nultys.

Thats my 2 bits, on to the next one!

From the Bunker

Quote from: redhandefender on March 20, 2018, 09:45:02 PM
Back from mayo, highlights package doesn't do justice to how poor mayo were. Tyrone are getting better but wouldnt be getting carried away. We have started taking our chances at least.

Aidan O'Shea is the most overrated player at the minute. Can't see what he added the other day just getting involved in stupid stuff. You would think mayo would be tight on their discipline after the donny vaughan incident in AI final but they were at stuff all day. Mayo ones whinging about tyrone being dirty. The one bad moment from tyrone was mc nulty hit. I can see why the ref gave a red but i don't think it was.

Cavanagh shouldnt have been blacked, Bradley did not dive, complete nonsense, harsh on boyle as bradley iis so small but still hit him, Boyle should have been off for hp mcgeary challenege which was worse than mc nultys.

Remember Mayo finished the game without Boyle, Andy, Cillian, Keegan, Higgins, Barrett, Harrison, Vaughan! More than half a team of decent players.

The Bearded One

They started the game with 4 of them and looked no better in fairness!
It is what it is. Presumably.

redhandefender

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 20, 2018, 11:08:50 PM

Remember Mayo finished the game without Boyle, Andy, Cillian, Keegan, Higgins, Barrett, Harrison, Vaughan! More than half a team of decent players.

Aye I know that's why I said I am not getting carried away. I know mayo take the league lightly but a year playing division 2 football next year will do them no favours!

Aaron Boone

Quote from: redhandefender on March 21, 2018, 10:03:32 AM

Aye I know that's why I said I am not getting carried away. I know mayo take the league lightly but a year playing division 2 football next year will do them no favours!
Div 2 naturally can't be underestimated. Cork taking longer than expected getting back to top tier.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 21, 2018, 10:24:52 AM
Quote from: redhandefender on March 21, 2018, 10:03:32 AM

Div 2 naturally can't be underestimated. Cork taking longer than expected getting back to top tier.

If you look at the record books, the record of the teams who were relegated from Division 1 in the following summer's championship has been woeful for the most part.

As it is Cork are still mathematically in with a chance of being relegated to Division 3 this year.
When you look at the list of teams who have been relegated over the last while, the only ones who have gotten relegated to Division 2 and were promoted back to Division 1 the following year were Donegal in 2013 and 2014 and Tyrone in 2015 and 2016.

Next year's Division 2 will have
1 from Cavan, Roscommon, Tipperary,
Kildare
3 from Cork, Clare, Down, Meath
Armagh
1 from Fermanagh or Longford
plus either Donegal or Mayo.

There's a lot of awkward enough looking competitors in there. I don't think getting promoted out of there would be any sort of walk in the park.

cornetto

Jesus the star are reporting Jason Sherlock may get a ban for interfering with an opposing player for up to 8 weeks,Jesus in fairness your man mcentee from the Galway v mayo game was one lucky man if that's the case.im afraid Jim Gavin won't be giving interviews again for a while if Sherlock is sanctioned.

An Fhairche Abu

Sherlock hasn't a leg to stand on with this, there has to be a zero tolerance for this type of incident. Dubs might argue that it's a soft enough shoulder but the rules are very clear, the whole thing just escalated once Sherlock involved himself. I don't see how Jim Gavin can have any complaints with this to be honest, Sherlock was out of order, if it was one of the Galway selectors or back room team involved I'd say the same.
Other people at the Galway-Dublin have alleged that they don't even have his worst infringement from last Sunday with another Galway player caught on camera, I can't comment on that as I only saw the incident with McHugh myself while at the match and I honestly thought he would get away with it as I didn't think any cameras were in Pearse.

Orchard park

will be a lucky young lad to get away with the 8 weeks minimum.

he was totally out of order and gavin really needs to get a grip on his backroom team, between this and the alleged discord between a selector and Connolly

tonto1888

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 20, 2018, 12:14:52 PM
Now now FoSB.

I think Donnelly is a super player. One of not too many non dubs who would get on that team.
My question is will Brennan start come championship? He looks the part. You look to be playing more attacking but again, will that be the case coke May or will Mickey revert to type?

omagh_gael

I'd be pretty certain that our FF line will be Bradley, McAliskey and Brennan come the Monaghan match. It's further back that there is serious competition. For example, Tiarnan McCann has a big job ahead of him if he is to get his No5 jersey back. If I were to take a stab at the team for May i'd go with:

Morgan
McNamee
Hampsey
HP McGeary (still no word on his injury though)
Meyler
Burns
McCann
Cavanagh
McShane
Harte
Sludden
Donnelly
Bradley
McAliskey
Brennan

Mayo4Sam14

I expect we should be hearing about Moran's 12 week ban and Sherlock's 8 week ban soon?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!