Time to merge the LGFA and Camogie Association under the GAA umbrella

Started by Eamonnca1, October 03, 2017, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westbound

Quote from: Syferus on October 20, 2017, 01:16:38 PM
Quote from: westbound on October 20, 2017, 11:10:02 AM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 19, 2017, 03:43:28 PM
Quote from: westbound on October 19, 2017, 11:16:15 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is Cora's full time job?
She works with the HSE as liaison officer with Traveller women.

Handy that she can get 4 months off.

Good luck to her in Oz.

FFS! Are we stooping that low that we're taking shots at players for getting time off to do sports when we know the demands we've placed on them at IC?

Hardly the first person to take a sabbatical..

Jesus calm down syf.

I was merely saying it is handy that she can get the time off from her job to go. Not a pot shot at Cora Staunton at all. I'm delighted for her. She is well deserving of her opportunity.

I had no idea what she worked at, which is why I asked the question. But if she didn't have an understanding employer then she would have to consider giving up her job to go playing AFL for 4 months. So that's why it's 'handy she can get 4 months off'.

macdanger2

Some shambles from the LGFA yesterday. Dunno why a game between Cork & Galway had to be fixed for Dublin anyway, surely Ennis or Semple would be a better choice when Limerick was unavailable?

five points

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 07, 2020, 12:01:27 PM
Dunno why a game between Cork & Galway had to be fixed for Dublin anyway, surely Ennis or Semple would be a better choice when Limerick was unavailable?

Presumably to suit TV coverage? Otherwise they could have played it literally anywhere with a locked gate?

Baile Brigín 2

Some shambles from the LGFA yesterday. Dunno why a game between Cork & Galway had to be fixed for Dublin anyway, surely Ennis or Semple would be a better choice when Limerick was unavailable?

It was originally down for LIT but the Limerick hurlers took the pitch to train.

People were asking would a merger see the women treated as equals. I think thats your answer right there

armaghniac

Quote from: five points on December 07, 2020, 12:04:38 PM
Dunno why a game between Cork & Galway had to be fixed for Dublin anyway, surely Ennis or Semple would be a better choice when Limerick was unavailable?

Presumably to suit TV coverage? Otherwise they could have played it literally anywhere with a locked gate?

TG4 were covering it, they had no particular interest in being in Dublin.
Apparently, it was proposed for Semple originally, then moved to Limerick, but it is was always likely that Limerick would qualify for the hurling final. The whole thing is a mess and no need for it. Apart from Semple, Ennis or Portlaise were options, surely.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Should all be merged, its a no brainer. However isn't it the ladies themselves that wouldn't merge. Something that the militant twitter feminist can't blame men for. ;)

thewobbler

Quote from: Itchy on December 07, 2020, 05:51:47 PM
Should all be merged, its a no brainer. However isn't it the ladies themselves that wouldn't merge. Something that the militant twitter feminist can't blame men for. ;)

I kind of agree and kind of don't.

In spirit I agree absolutely. But in reality...

Being an officer in a club with devolved units has to be easier. It places the emphasis on ladies football and camogie to generate and maintain their own funds, and to find and empower their own coaches.

Obviously a committee could replicate this structure largely through subcommittees. But if ladies football or camogie doesn't generate enough interest within to fill those subcommittees, then the options for club officers are a) fill the subcommittees with people who don't want to be involved in that sport, or b) collapse the sport within the club.

You'd be made a pariah for b). You'd want some thick skin on you for a).

We can't run clubs without committees. It might be wise to assume integration could make committee life less attractive.

Baile Brigín 2

I understand Camogie broke off in the 50's and the LGFA set up separately later. Weren't the handballers also talking about breaking off?

Captain Scarlet

According to Twitter the patriarchy are at it again
No matter hiw many times it's pointed out the GAA are being blamed.
I really am getting annoyed with this notion that Limerick were having a puckaround too.
If that game was there crew and set up would take all day. Plus why settle on there when Limerick were likely tp need it in the first place?
Same with TV after it was moved...it takes hour to get live events going so they couldn't just flick a switch and go.
Really bothered me today when the men in Croke Park taking heat for the LGFA.
It should all be one but the bigger issue is getting camogie and LGFA on the same page before they come in.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Hound

The moaning from the Galway women's manager seems a bit odd. Why were the Cork women able to get their proper warm up in?

gander

Quote from: Hound on December 08, 2020, 07:24:13 AM
The moaning from the Galway women's manager seems a bit odd. Why were the Cork women able to get their proper warm up in?

Cork stayed in dublin the night before, galway where travelling up that day for a 1.30 throw in in parnell park

macdanger2

Quote from: gander on December 08, 2020, 09:13:50 AM
Quote from: Hound on December 08, 2020, 07:24:13 AM

Cork stayed in dublin the night before, galway where travelling up that day for a 1.30 throw in in parnell park

Heard somewhere that they stayed in Kinnegad the night before?

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on December 07, 2020, 06:12:04 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 07, 2020, 05:51:47 PM

I kind of agree and kind of don't.

In spirit I agree absolutely. But in reality...

Being an officer in a club with devolved units has to be easier. It places the emphasis on ladies football and camogie to generate and maintain their own funds, and to find and empower their own coaches.

Obviously a committee could replicate this structure largely through subcommittees. But if ladies football or camogie doesn't generate enough interest within to fill those subcommittees, then the options for club officers are a) fill the subcommittees with people who don't want to be involved in that sport, or b) collapse the sport within the club.

You'd be made a pariah for b). You'd want some thick skin on you for a).

We can't run clubs without committees. It might be wise to assume integration could make committee life less attractive.

We've found the actual opposite in practicality at club level where our camogs are fully integrated at committee level. I'd say just shy of half our committee are female and it works pretty well. Different perspectives at times as too many men can be full of their own shite at times.

From the admin side there are issues around players insurance and the likes as they work very different and that's a pain in the hole for the registrar but not insurmountable.

Harold Disgracey