Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on June 25, 2018, 01:48:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 01:13:40 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on June 25, 2018, 01:00:07 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0625/973011-gaa-president-horan-ill-look-at-a-tier-2-championship/

Who could blame him after the series of one sided games this weekend.  I stopped watching both the Munster and Leinster final and should have followed suit for the ulster borefest...

There have been so many upsets this year that still pushing the idea of a second tier takes some seriously blinkered vision.

Various different bald men fighting over a comb does not constitute an upset.

Carlow wouldn't even have had a chance to hammer Kildare under a two tier system this year. It makes a nonsense of the idea that the gap exsists between 10-32. It's the top one or two teams and the rest where the meaningful difference exists.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 01:51:03 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0625/973011-gaa-president-horan-ill-look-at-a-tier-2-championship/

Who could blame him after the series of one sided games this weekend.  I stopped watching both the Munster and Leinster final and should have followed suit for the ulster borefest...

There have been so many upsets this year that still pushing the idea of a second tier takes some seriously blinkered vision.

Carlow wouldn't even have had a chance to hammer Kildare under a two tier system this year. It makes a nonsense of the idea that the gap exsists between 10-32. It's the top one or two teams and the rest where the meaningful difference exists.
Upsets in May/June don't count
The Qualifiers restore the natural order- look at Longford and Carlow
An upset in July/August  would be something
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

blewuporstuffed

So one then?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Syferus

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 25, 2018, 02:52:36 PM

So one then?

???

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 03:23:08 PM

So one then?

???

You said

QuoteThere have been so many upsets this year

But the only example you can provide is one game in Leinster

The only other one that springs to mind is Fermanagh V Monaghan, but in a two tier championship based on next years league positions, they both would be top 16  teams
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Syferus

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 25, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 03:23:08 PM

So one then?

???

You said

QuoteThere have been so many upsets this year

But the only example you can provide is one game in Leinster

The only other one that springs to mind is Fermanagh V Monaghan, but in a two tier championship based on next years league positions, they both would be top 16  teams

Wow.

blewuporstuffed

seafoid

On Sunday, one of Horan's predecessors Sean Kelly aired his desire to address the huge imbalance within the provinces in the wake of final cakewalks for Kerry and Dublin against Cork and Laois respectively.
"Cause for serious worry about the hammerings too many @officialgaa football teams are getting at all inter-county championship levels," Kelly tweeted.
"Grading according to ability, with more than one tier essential.
"Otherwise there will be serious fall off in participation and attendances. Urgent!"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

westbound

3 of the provincial finals were between teams would would all be in the top 16 in a tiered championship (Based on current year league finishing positions). Yet 2 of those finals ended in very one sided results (munster & Ulster).

How will a tiered championship stop those hidings?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: westbound on June 25, 2018, 04:13:35 PM
3 of the provincial finals were between teams would would all be in the top 16 in a tiered championship (Based on current year league finishing positions). Yet 2 of those finals ended in very one sided results (munster & Ulster).

How will a tiered championship stop those hidings?

I wont eliminate all one sided games, you will always get them occasionally no matter what.

westbound

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2018, 04:22:53 PM
Have 3 tiers as I've said.

would Kerry Cork not be in the same tier?

My argument is we should be trying to improve the counties who are falling behind. Not putting a system in place where the likely outcome is that the gap between top and bottom will bigger.

Rossfan

1 -How do you improve "the counties who are falling behind"?

2 -Do you start with Cork who won 10 Munster U21s in the last 15 years and can't get a decent Senior team out of it
Or do you start with Leitrim who have 30,000 people
Or do you start with Fermanagh, Carlow , Longford who have done reasonably well recently?
Or do you try and make football better in the Hurling Counties
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

westbound

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2018, 04:46:31 PM
1 -How do you improve "the counties who are falling behind"?

2 -Do you start with Cork who won 10 Munster U21s in the last 15 years and can't get a decent Senior team out of it
Or do you start with Leitrim who have 30,000 people
Or do you start with Fermanagh, Carlow , Longford who have done reasonably well recently?
Or do you try and make football better in the Hurling Counties

I'm not sure Ross fan, but if people tierred championships to avoid teams getting hammered, it's not going to work.

I can understand the argument that the provincials are unfair, but that's a different argument to the one about setting up tiers.