Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targetman

Same problems around midfield, can't win a kickout,Armagh were a bit more physical but its early days

Smurfy123

Harrison seems to struggle on the short kick outs
What did you think of peter Turley tonight?
Any thoughts targetman

Targetman

Thought the kickouts were too slow, if we can't win at midfield we'll have to go short and I think this happened only once, as for Turley he always puts in a shift but at the same time looks like he's struggling fitness wise, Mooney made an impact when introduced

Mourne Rover

Not too much to get excited about tonight, with Armagh fielding a stronger side which was generally in control. Harrison made a couple of brilliant saves, and had no chance with their goals. His kick outs were mixed, with a couple straight into touch, but the driving rain made it tough for him.

The defence was pretty ordinary, although Doherty was fairly solid and drilled over two 45s, while McParland battled away, but we were wide open for both their goals.

Turley can still win the ball at midifield but his pace is likely to be a problem. Conor Poland had his moments, and is definitely worth another look, possibly further forward, but he was caught out for the second goal.

Ronan Millar was the pick of a forward line which seldom sparked, although Mooney put himself about and kicked a couple of fine points as a sub.
We can expect a few more changes for Jordanstown on Sunday.

snoopdog

What was the starting 15 for Down.

Hoes before bros

Quote from: snoopdog on January 03, 2018, 09:03:05 PM
Down 0-05 Armagh 1-10, Pairc Esler, 8pm latest. Won't need to worry bout super 8 s
Calm yourself down a bit there snoop. Wouldn't write the year off after one experimental side getting beat in a glorified friendly

Smurfy123

For what it's worth
Harrison 7 A few great saves for certain goals but his kick outs need to be worked on.1 high  ball came in at  the end and he missed judged it
Flanagan 6 Not a corner back.Badly caught for second goal
McGovern 6 Done ok under high ball.Rash on a few tackles which could have been red
Bell 5 Wasn't in the game at all.May now not get another chance but hopefully he does
McKernan 8 Best player I'm the pitch.Steady at all times and covered some ground
Doherty 6 The middle was left open for both goals.Kicked 2 brilliant free kicks which could keep him in the team
Flynn 5 Only touches the ball twice.Fail to see what he actually does during a game.No impact at all
Turley 6 Doesn't look fit and struggled throughout the game.Give away easy ball towards the end as he was out on his feet
McParland 6 Struggled in midfield.Again he doesn't look fit and midfield is not his position
Poland 8 Got on a lot of ball.2 great catches in midfield and a solid run out.Definate starter
Maginn 7 Done well in large parts and made things happen but was pushed off the hall far to easily
Millar 6 not as prominent as last season but he will get much better as the season goes on and the pitches harden.
Dornan 5 Was very poor little or no movement in the first half and hardly touched the ball.Scored a point in the second half and was replaced immediately
Millar 7 Done very well fir his first start.I can see him starting against Louth.Big future ahead
Morgan 6 wasn't in the game at all.Looked lost at times but he is not a corner forward.Deserbes more chances around the middle

Mourne Rover

Smurfy, players do move around in an experimental game, but McKernan was in the half forward line, not the defence, McParland was at half back, and not midfield, and Morgan spent the evening as a third midfielder, rather than at corner forward. I agree with you about Conor Poland and Ronan Millar, who both had promising debuts.

Smurfy123

McKernan was not half forward spent a lot of time running from deep and coming out from defence
McParland played midfield in the first half until he was told to go pick up Forker
I'll probably agree with you on Morgan but still think he deserves more chances

snoopdog

Quote from: Hoes before bros on January 04, 2018, 01:16:07 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on January 03, 2018, 09:03:05 PM
Down 0-05 Armagh 1-10, Pairc Esler, 8pm latest. Won't need to worry bout super 8 s
Calm yourself down a bit there snoop. Wouldn't write the year off after one experimental side getting beat in a glorified friendly
Tongue in cheek. I wasn't in Newry last night. I'd say the conditions were terrible. Looking forward to the 1st league game in Drogheda.

crice123

Snoopdog, some man you are to be commenting on this if u don't bother your arse to turn up to games, the reason we really lost was because Sean og forgot the lucky hat!

downjim

Too many players from div 2 and below on that panel. Seriously would they all start in the Down top 6 in div 1?

Smurfy123

McKernan
McGovern
Poland
Morgan
Maginn
McParland

Those 5 would start on the Kilcoo team
I'm not sure many of the others would

snoopdog

Quote from: crice123 on January 04, 2018, 02:50:41 PM
Snoopdog, some man you are to be commenting on this if u don't bother your arse to turn up to games, the reason we really lost was because Sean og forgot the lucky hat!
I'm not gonna go to  a glorified friendly when I live in Dublin. I've followed Down long enough in league and championship  I think I can comment on a warm up game. 

snoopdog

Quote from: downjim on January 04, 2018, 07:16:52 PM
Too many players from div 2 and below on that panel. Seriously would they all start in the Down top 6 in div 1?
I fail to see this as a viable argument. What Division did paddy Doherty Joe Lennon  James McCarran junior Greg Blaney  Peter Whitnall etc play in. Plenty of good footballers remain with the club in the parish they were born into. Doesn't make them bad players.