Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

How many of the Mayo old guard are still actually involved?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

MayoBuck

Quote from: Angelo on October 27, 2020, 04:41:40 PM

Andy Moran is the only one retired. Doherty and Harrison are injured and won't be back this year. Everyone else is still involved I think. Barrett and Higgins were on the bench the last 2 games.

galwayman

Quote from: MayoBuck on October 27, 2020, 04:55:32 PM

Andy Moran is the only one retired. Doherty and Harrison are injured and won't be back this year. Everyone else is still involved I think. Barrett and Higgins were on the bench the last 2 games.
Strange that they weren't used at all if they are in his plans. Could have done with some game time I would have thought?
Unless Leitrim are earmarked to be that game time for them as that is a no danger game for Mayo in all honesty.
Barrett could do a job full back maybe? I know it's his debut season but Mullin could play there also. He's a big strong lad for an u20.

mayoman dan

No one really knows Angelo and i dont think we will know what Horan is thinking until the Roscommon game if we get that far.The team selections so far have been strange.Irs hard to see Aido been left at ff if we are losing midfield as badly as we did on sunday.Loftus is not an inter county midfielder IMO.

No one really knows Angelo.

MayoBuck

Quote from: rosnarun on October 27, 2020, 04:32:27 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on October 26, 2020, 04:12:56 PM
I think we'll probably stick with O'Shea at 14. That's where he was playing all summer for Breaffy and apparently Ciaran McDonald was doing some coaching with them.

Hopefully Keegan is moved back to centre half back with Durcan and Eoghan McLaughlin either side of him. Everyone talking about sweepers after yesterday but it's really down to the half back line to not be dragged out of position and leave us exposed.
to my minf Aidan has to be midfield  there is no one he cant handle there. I donthink think he has or ever had the footspeed to be a full forward and is wasted in there and while Lftus has done fine hre not really a midfielder at all and could easily get caught badly further down the Line.
is this team really the one Horan has in mind for the Champion ship  leaving out hennelly barrett higgins  boyle Parsons Carr boland etc  or was he just givimg lads a chance to claim theor place which I believe Mullin conroy Eoghan Mclouglin  made the most of . I wouldln't write off moran either
but I don think horan found what he needs most , a full back or center half back

He's shown enough in the last 2 games for us to stick with him at 14. He takes a lot of watching even when not scoring himself. The forwards are working pretty well so there's no point ripping it up at this stage.

The defeat to Tyrone has a lot of similarities to Roscommon in the championship last year. We went into both in good form, were too gung ho while attacking and got hit on the break numerous times. Colm Boyle was brought in after the Roscommon game, it gave our full back line much more protection and we went on a bit of a run then. A similar change is needed now as unfortunately Kevin McLoughlin cannot play the same role he did with Knockmore at county level. Moving Keegan to 6 seems the obvious choice.

manfromdelmonte

Its amazing how unsettled mayo and Galway are coming into this championship

Blowitupref

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 27, 2020, 06:16:21 PM

Mayo looked unsettled coming into many recent championships (lucky to avoid relegation) and still managed to have good championships.  Galway failed to get out of Div 2 in 2016 but it didn't stop them winning Connacht beating both Mayo and Roscommon on route. Kevin Walsh in the build up to that championship talked about how many club players turned down the opportunity to play for Galway.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

larryin89

I'd tend to agree and that's what makes ros the value bet , just can't bring myself to back them . 11/2 though serious value
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

macdanger2

Roscommon definitely the only team coming into this on the up. Mayo & Leitrim relegated, Sligo mid table in D4 and Galway despite being the form team earlier in the year, coming off the back of 2 defeats.

Hard to see sligo or Leitrim troubling Galway or Mayo tbf. The other 2 games should be good and tight though so should be a few good weeks of football. I'd have this as our strongest 15

Clarke
Barrett Coen Mullins
Durcan Keegan Boyle
Ruane DOC
McLoughlin AOS McDonagh
Conroy COC Carr/Coen

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 27, 2020, 06:32:39 PM

Mayo looked unsettled coming into many recent championships (lucky to avoid relegation) and still managed to have good championships.  Galway failed to get out of Div 2 in 2016 but it didn't stop them winning Connacht beating both Mayo and Roscommon on route. Kevin Walsh in the build up to that championship talked about how many club players turned down the opportunity to play for Galway.
I think he said a total of 56 players, for one reason or another, made themselves unavailable that year.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Corkscrew

Quote from: moysider on October 27, 2020, 12:03:58 AM
Quote from: weareros on October 26, 2020, 05:54:46 PM
This will be a poor mouthing thread, if you ever saw one. That said whoever wins Connacht won't be within 10 points of Kerry.

If they are not they should go to bed for themselves. Kerry nothing special.

So you don't rate Kerry, give me your top 5 in order  Are you expecting Cork to turn them over?

larryin89

Kerry are nearest  to Dublin, mostly because of their outrageous talent in Clifford and Sean o se with a couple more not far behind but you'd still fancy Dublin to take them .  Kerry still not rock solid in defence and I'd argue perhaps not even as solid as mayo under Rochford .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

magpie seanie

I don't think Dublin will win the All Ireland this year. It's the most open championship in a long time.

Maroon Manc

Surprised Dessie Conneely didn't get a chance last Sunday, saw a couple of Moycullens championship games and he was outstanding especially in the final.

Are Matthew Tierney & James McLaughlin on the panel? Tierney looked to be carrying an injury against Dublin in the 20's semi final the last day; McLaughlin isn't even 18 until December apparently but is some size for his age.

twohands!!!

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 27, 2020, 11:12:21 PM
Roscommon definitely the only team coming into this on the up. Mayo & Leitrim relegated, Sligo mid table in D4 and Galway despite being the form team earlier in the year, coming off the back of 2 defeats.

Hard to see sligo or Leitrim troubling Galway or Mayo tbf. The other 2 games should be good and tight though so should be a few good weeks of football. I'd have this as our strongest 15

If you look at the recent records teams who get relegated generally go on to have miserable championships in the same year.
On the flip side promoted teams generally tend to have decent enough championships.