Donegal...the next chapter?

Started by J OGorman, August 05, 2013, 10:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

It nearly felt wrong watching the 2nd half of the match yesterday. A mighty fall for the Donegal men. Like them or loathe them, you have a group of very dedicated men who put their lives on hold for 3 years and gave everything for the cause. I was a big critic of their ultra-defensive style when they first burst back onto the main stage under the guidance of Jim McGuinness. They hit the wall badly on Sun. The writing was on the wall after the Ulster final. They brought home a 2nd AI to the North-West which was a very welcome distraction for the good people of an economically ravaged employment black spot. Where now for Donegal? Does Jim stay on? Does the limited squad put the shoulder to the wheel for another tilt? Or do they wilt back into the wilderness? Will be an interesting year 2014 for the Donegal men and their football mad supporters

Denn Forever

A comprehensive defeat and Mayo took their revenge ruthlessly.

Next year, Donegal are in Div 2 so they should get some good wins to rehabilitate.  Donegal are not finished.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

From the Bunker

Anyway Huge egg on Face for Jim and Rory. They will have (hopefully learned to keep their thoughts and digs to themselves this week.

Donegal are a fair way back to where they were before Jimmy took them over. The Invincibility and super fitness image was first destroyed by Monaghan and now made into mince meat by Mayo. All in Ulster bar Antrim (Sorry) will  fancy their chances.They have been shown up to having no plan B and very average squad players. It will be a hard sell to get these boys back. Defeats like these leave scars. But they still have a solid core and a good run would get them back on track.

NAG1

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 05, 2013, 10:31:24 AM

Next year, Donegal are in Div 2 so they should get some good wins to rehabilitate.  Donegal are not finished.

I think Donegal could be one of these cyclical counties who come to the fore every so often for a while when they get a good crop of players at one time. Cant ever see them being consistently at the top level of the game.

ck

Quote from: NAG1 on August 05, 2013, 10:35:11 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on August 05, 2013, 10:31:24 AM

I think Donegal could be one of these cyclical counties who come to the fore every so often for a while when they get a good crop of players at one time. Cant ever see them being consistently at the top level of the game.

+1

Donegal came, they saw and they conquered, and will disappear just as quick. They simply are not good enough to sustain the heights they got to. Amateur players can put their lives on hold for so long, but only for so long. Jimmy tried every trick in the book this year but even he will know that it's not sustainable. His words last week were of desperation, he knew things were not well.

Drummerboy

I seen the Donegal players last night. They were all outside a pub in Drumcondra. They were having a few well earned drinks, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge them that after the last two years efforts. However what really surprised me was that about 10 of them were actually smoking. I would have thought in this day and age, with the tremendous effort that they have to put in training that cigarette smoking is the last things they would engage in. I have heard of certain high profile soccer players who smoke like Berbatov and Terry but I'm sure they are the exception to the rule.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Drummerboy on August 05, 2013, 10:51:39 AM
I seen the Donegal players last night. They were all outside a pub in Drumcondra. They were having a few well earned drinks, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge them that after the last two years efforts. However what really surprised me was that about 10 of them were actually smoking. I would have thought in this day and age, with the tremendous effort that they have to put in training that cigarette smoking is the last things they would engage in. I have heard of certain high profile soccer players who smoke like Berbatov and Terry but I'm sure they are the exception to the rule.

Loads of European soccer players smoke. Most notable being Pirlo and Ballotelli. Rooney is another.

INDIANA

have you seen how many dublin players smoke? plenty.

As regards donegal - won't be back anytime soon. Just dont have the players or replacements.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2013, 10:33:27 AM
Anyway Huge egg on Face for Jim and Rory. They will have (hopefully learned to keep their thoughts and digs to themselves this week.

Donegal are a fair way back to where they were before Jimmy took them over. The Invincibility and super fitness image was first destroyed by Monaghan and now made into mince meat by Mayo. All in Ulster bar Antrim (Sorry) will  fancy their chances.They have been shown up to having no plan B and very average squad players. It will be a hard sell to get these boys back. Defeats like these leave scars. But they still have a solid core and a good run would get them back on track.

No one will want to be drawing Donegal next year.

The best thing Jim could do is kiss and make up with Cassidy and regroup for another charge at Ulster. Nothing to frighten them there.

AZOffaly

Munster rugby have a fair few boys that like an auld smoke. The thing is they are not 20 or even 10 a day men, they usually have a few out for pints or whatever. No big deal I'd say.

Captain Scarlet

As happened the Cats this year bit by bit the aura was eroded without Shefflin and Dublin took advantage and then Cork put them to the sword.
Donegal's fall from grace was far more spectacular but it was coming this year. So much of their defensive system was based around Lacey that when he wasn't there the leadership wasn't all there.
Fair play to them as champs but you would worry that if there are now doubts in their heads the whole "ach sure there a mad aul shower hiy" antics could re-emerge. If McGuinness can get them back on track then no-one will fancy coming up against them next year.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2013, 12:03:13 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2013, 10:33:27 AM

No one will want to be drawing Donegal next year.

The best thing Jim could do is kiss and make up with Cassidy and regroup for another charge at Ulster. Nothing to frighten them there.

Cassidy was asked back twice last year, early on in the year.
Also Donegal have Gallagher, Kavanagh, McFadden in the 30 mark. And they won't have many more years in the clock.
I think they will find it hard to replace Quality players like that when the time comes.
Cavan won't be fearing them that's for sure.

5 Sams

Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2013, 11:55:37 AM

have you seen how many dublin players smoke? plenty.

As regards donegal - won't be back anytime soon. Just dont have the players or replacements.

No big deal. Plenty of lads have a smoke with a pint. Top class footballers are no different. Its not as if they are rolling out of bed every morning and sparking up before the cornflakes.
The Aristocrat Years