TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Taylor on April 11, 2019, 09:55:37 AM
Quote from: screenexile on April 09, 2019, 11:02:32 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 09, 2019, 08:57:10 PM
Fleabag. Absolute genius.

YES!!! Absolutely the best thing that's been on TV for a while!!

Watched the first few episodes.
Its a warts and all show thats for sure.

Suprised it is a BBC show given its so risque

Go through it all. The secund season isn't quite as dark but is more laugh out loud funny.

It's the best British comedy in a long, long time.

Taylor

Quote from: gallsman on April 11, 2019, 11:37:33 AM
Quote from: Taylor on April 11, 2019, 09:55:37 AM
Quote from: screenexile on April 09, 2019, 11:02:32 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 09, 2019, 08:57:10 PM
Fleabag. Absolute genius.

YES!!! Absolutely the best thing that's been on TV for a while!!

Watched the first few episodes.
Its a warts and all show thats for sure.

Suprised it is a BBC show given its so risque

Go through it all. The secund season isn't quite as dark but is more laugh out loud funny.

It's the best British comedy in a long, long time.

Will try it again gallsman.

Hasnt been many laugh out loud moments so far - more cringe or 'oh f**k me' moments (like flicking the bean to Obama  :o  )

BennyCake

I'm probably late to this show, but I've been really enjoying 'Porters' on Dave.

The girl in the coma episode was hilarious.

Jeepers Creepers

Ricky Gervais 'Afterlife'. Like him or loathe him please give it a try. One the funniest / most depressing things Ive watched in a while.

Ball Hopper

Enjoying Murphy's Law with James Nesbitt...from 2001.

Line of Duty next.

Main Street

After Life is curious, just how would a nasty narcissist troll, experience grief? exactly as you might imagine a self obsessed fat slob would, they'd make it all about themselves, all of the time.  By contrast there is in the background, a story of a real deep despair as experienced by homeless man called Tim.

nrico2006

Just after finishing Prime Suspect.  Started off well but got worse as it went on.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lenny

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on April 17, 2019, 03:42:17 PM
Ricky Gervais 'Afterlife'. Like him or loathe him please give it a try. One the funniest / most depressing things Ive watched in a while.

Is it meant to be a comedy? I watched the first 2 episodes and didn't laugh once. I loved the office so I do get gervais' humour but unless it starts to get funny in the next few episodes I'm just not getting it.

screenexile

Quote from: lenny on April 19, 2019, 01:49:42 PM

Is it meant to be a comedy? I watched the first 2 episodes and didn't laugh once. I loved the office so I do get gervais' humour but unless it starts to get funny in the next few episodes I'm just not getting it.

You didn't laugh at his conversation with the ginger kid in the schoolyard??

Was the funniest bit about it I thought that and the date he went on... oh and his Da has a few good lines as well.

Esmarelda

Quote from: screenexile on April 19, 2019, 02:01:25 PM

Was the funniest bit about it I thought that and the date he went on... oh and his Da has a few good lines as well.
How he dealt with the postman was my personal favourite. Also his line to the nun.

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on April 19, 2019, 02:01:25 PM

In fairness the line to the ginger kid was very funny but that was the only bit I found funny. I might give it another go to see if I'm missing something.

thewobbler

I couldn't warm to Afterlife myself, and I'd both be a Gervais fan, and appreciative of very dark humour.

Can't even explain why. Maybe the lack of backbone in the supporting cast.

Main Street

It's not funny per se, it's humorous.
It's the type of humour at the expense of the arsehole narcissist  who's so self absorbed that he lacks any empathy.  He wonders out loud what he'll talk about when he'll meet up on a first date "oh I know, I'll talk about myself", the way he apologises for his father in the nursing home because the father embarrasses him.
It's the totally absurd scenario played out in the last two episodes  where he hasn't got a scooby doo about what he has just done, nor does he care, it barely registers, he's beyond the pale.

screenexile

Just watched Line of Duty class episode!!!

quit yo jibbajabba