All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Apart from the 2 midfielders any other stand out performers for Galway?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 27, 2017, 11:28:02 AM
I thought it was a good solid all round team performance with Cooke probably a deserving MOTM.  The most pleasing aspect was that mostly all the subs had a very positive impact and our lads seemed well equipped to deal with the physical stuff when required.  On the negative side, we didn't convert enough of our chances in the first half - think we had about 8 or 9 wides to Mayo's 2 and we really should have been at least 6 point up instead of level.  A similar performance will be required up in Sligo next Sat eve.

GalwayBayBoy

Liam Kelly was excellent at the back I thought. McDaid made a number of powerful surging runs forward. Mannion was very slick when he was getting a lot of ball in the first half. The service to him dried up a little after half time. Maybe a good sign for the team that Daly didn't even have to produce any heroics for them to win relatively handily.

Cooke and Brennan in midfield are a powerful pair though. Can fetch high ball but both athletic and mobile as well. They also are the spit of each other with their shock of red hair.

Itchy

Huge game in Enniskillen. I believe Cavan are a talented bunch of players with some top forwards for a change and a lot of big mobile men. They are up against a battle hardened Donegal with some top senior squad players. This cavan panel has always underachieved down through the years but I think they can run Donegal close tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

rodney trotter

Wednesday the game. A good bunch of the team won the MacRory Cup, wouldn't say they underachieved.  Minor football is unpredictable anyway. It was a poor enough Minor management.

Gallagher doing his best to run the Donegal u21s into the ground, so Cavan should be fresher at least.

Itchy

Donegal 1/4 and Cavan 7-2. That's crazy stuff.

twohands!!!

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 27, 2017, 08:22:36 PM
Gallagher doing his best to run the Donegal u21s into the ground, so Cavan should be fresher at least.

6 U21s played in the game against Monaghan. 

With my tin-foil hat on, someone from Donegal winning an Ulster U21 (or even going further) is the last thing Gallagher needs if he wants to hold on to the senior job long-term.

Wonder if any journo has asked Declan Bonnar what he thinks of Gallagher's use of the U21s?

J70

Lads, just what options do you think are available in Donegal?

These are the best players in the county and will be on the senior squad and first fifteen come the summer. In case you missed it, we lost half a team since last year. If older players were there, they would have played over the past couple of seasons.

Lacey and McElhinney and McBrearty came on yesterday on their way back from injury. Ciaran Gillespie as well, although he did play in the midweek U-21 game. Ryan McHugh could be out for a while now, depending on how bad that ankle injury he was carried off with turns out to be. Jason McGee, another U-21, will be playing for the seniors this summer too, although he's out at the moment.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 27, 2017, 11:50:28 AM
I thought it was a good solid all round team performance with Cooke probably a deserving MOTM.  The most pleasing aspect was that mostly all the subs had a very positive impact and our lads seemed well equipped to deal with the physical stuff when required.  On the negative side, we didn't convert enough of our chances in the first half - think we had about 8 or 9 wides to Mayo's 2 and we really should have been at least 6 point up instead of level.  A similar performance will be required up in Sligo next Sat eve.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 27, 2017, 11:59:47 AM

Liam Kelly was excellent at the back I thought. McDaid made a number of powerful surging runs forward. Mannion was very slick when he was getting a lot of ball in the first half. The service to him dried up a little after half time. Maybe a good sign for the team that Daly didn't even have to produce any heroics for them to win relatively handily.

Cooke and Brennan in midfield are a powerful pair though. Can fetch high ball but both athletic and mobile as well. They also are the spit of each other with their shock of red hair.

Cheers fella's. Watched the highlights last night on tg4 although they didn't show much.

RedHandTom

Quote from: Itchy on March 27, 2017, 08:15:35 PM
Huge game in Enniskillen. I believe Cavan are a talented bunch of players with some top forwards for a change and a lot of big mobile men. They are up against a battle hardened Donegal with some top senior squad players. This cavan panel has always underachieved down through the years but I think they can run Donegal close tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

I have money on Cavan. Bookies giving ridiculous odds!
I watched Cavan this year and let me tell you they are a serious outfit. Very very defensive and well organised. Donegal could be in for the shock of their lives here.

Itchy

Quote from: RedHandTom on March 28, 2017, 11:09:42 AM
Quote from: Itchy on March 27, 2017, 08:15:35 PM

I have money on Cavan. Bookies giving ridiculous odds!
I watched Cavan this year and let me tell you they are a serious outfit. Very very defensive and well organised. Donegal could be in for the shock of their lives here.

I have 50e on them at 9-1 to win Ulster,  I think whoever wins this game will win it.

Westside

What's the handicap on Donegal? I don't think Cavan will win, just don't think there's enough steel in the side when the going gets tough, but I think 7/2 is long odds all the same.

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on March 28, 2017, 01:36:22 AM
Lads, just what options do you think are available in Donegal?

These are the best players in the county and will be on the senior squad and first fifteen come the summer. In case you missed it, we lost half a team since last year. If older players were there, they would have played over the past couple of seasons.

Lacey and McElhinney and McBrearty came on yesterday on their way back from injury. Ciaran Gillespie as well, although he did play in the midweek U-21 game. Ryan McHugh could be out for a while now, depending on how bad that ankle injury he was carried off with turns out to be. Jason McGee, another U-21, will be playing for the seniors this summer too, although he's out at the moment.

No-one is saying that Donegal shouldn't be playing any U21s or anything like that but surely things aren't that bad in Donegal that they could manage things in the squad even a smidge better ?

Esmarelda

Quote from: Westside on March 28, 2017, 05:50:36 PM
What's the handicap on Donegal? I don't think Cavan will win, just don't think there's enough steel in the side when the going gets tough, but I think 7/2 is long odds all the same.
+4

ck

Kerry, Dublin and Donegal treble is even money.
Tempting but Cavan worry me. They gave Sligo a tanking a few weeks ago