FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

The RTE pundits had an off night. Brady reckoned that McClean would be one of the first names on Pulis's team even though he's only just got a couple of starts after none for about four months.

Dunphy reckoned that Long and Whelan's elbows weren't indisciplined. He also thought that Bale being out the field wasn't hurting us, proven by the clip he was showing which put Taylor in on goal.

Hectic

Quote from: Minus15 on March 25, 2017, 01:01:29 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 25, 2017, 08:47:21 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 25, 2017, 08:39:24 AM
Nothing dirty in terms of reckless sliding tackles, however, there were occasions (Whealen on Allen being the worst) when we led with the elbow going for high balls.

Whilst Taylor's challenge caused horrendous damage, looking back at the replays in not 100% sure that he went in dangerously high with both feet rsised. It was reckless in the extreme but I don't think it was intended to cause injury. Coleman came in at great speed and Taylor's legs appear to scissor grab Coleman's right leg and wasn't overly high. The leg broke on contact when Coleman struck through the ball a moment before Taylor arrived. I still think it was a red every day of the week as players have a duty of care towards their opponents and Taylor went in too reckless. I still believe it wasn't to cause serious injury.
Taylor the only man who knows that for sure.

Ah lads. There is no way he tried to cause what happened or anywhere near it. A player isn't going to do that and take a red card for his troubles. If they see a chance to go in hard they may take it but they wouldn't be intentionally trying to injure the player. It is not like the Keane Haaland one where there was previous between the two players. Coleman would be a likeable played and dirt just isn't a part of his game so very much doubt he would be targeted in this way. I am sure Taylor is regretting it too. It was wreckless and dangerous but that happens somewhere every other week and does not mean people are deliberately trying to cause serious injury their opponents.

Maybe not but if you go in wreckless, foot raised with studs showing, you are always potentially going to damage your opponent. Thankfully in the main players avoid the full impact of this type of challenge but there is a reason why this is a red card offence. Best I can say is that maybe he never considered the potential consequences.

An Watcher

I wonder whether people on here ever played competitive sport.  It may be true that he didn't want to break his leg but he may have wanted to hit him hard, to put him out of the game, to get him back for that last challenge or to stop Coleman destroying him.  He went over the top though and wrecked Coleman.

foxcommander

Neil Taylor = sc**bag
Chris Coleman = Defender of sc**bag.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Asal Mor

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 25, 2017, 01:04:30 PM
The RTE pundits had an off night. Brady reckoned that McClean would be one of the first names on Pulis's team even though he's only just got a couple of starts after none for about four months.

Dunphy reckoned that Long and Whelan's elbows weren't indisciplined. He also thought that Bale being out the field wasn't hurting us, proven by the clip he was showing which put Taylor in on goal.
Dunphy's insistence that using the elbow is a modern foul which wasn't a part of the game until recent years was a strange one.

screenexile

This article sums it up well for me . . . again the Irish hype train needed something after the England Rugby win to get their click bait so they tried to destroy Taylor.

It was a bad and reckless tackle but don't tell me anybody who has ever played soccer at any level hasn't put in a tackle like that without thinking. The outcome doesn't define the intent!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/the-secret-footballer/put-away-the-noose-no-way-taylor-was-thinking-about-hurting-coleman-446196.html#

Nevertheless it's horrible for Coleman, Everton and Ireland. It's very difficult to overcome those types of injuries but he's young enough and hopefully he can come back stronger!

JPGJOHNNYG

A bit like the belarus game the second string have no interest in sticking their hand up. Awful cr@p. Never seen so many balls into the box with no irish player even close. Johnny hayes the best of it a 30 yr old playing for aberdeen!

SHEEDY

Daryll horgan surely should have started that match. Feel sorry for anyone who paid good money to watch that tonight. Dour watch.
nil satis nisi optimum

galwayman

Ireland are always a dour watch.Even with a first choice team out.
We play dour direct long ball football that's horrible to watch but seem to grind out enough results to be there or thereabouts as regards qualification for most tournaments.
That's Irish football & has been for most of my time watching the Irish team.
Getting to the stage now for the first time where I am beginning to think about not bothering watching the games anymore.
It's just so hard to watch that style of football.

moysider

Quote from: galwayman on March 28, 2017, 10:42:59 PM
We play dour direct long ball football that's horrible to watch but seem to grind out enough results to be there or thereabouts as regards qualification for most tournaments.
Getting to the stage now for the first time where I am beginning to think about not bothering watching the games anymore.

I'd say it's alway's been that way. Don't know how long you've been watching though. The difference now between how top club sides play and international teams play is more marked than it used to be. Back in the day we were not exposed to likes of Barcelona that much either. And we only saw likes of Zico, Socrates, Maradonna every four years. So an Irish, English, Scottish game would not be much different than watching Liverpool, Leeds, etc. on MOTD. Tackles, crosses (often from closer  half way line than corner flag) passes back to keeper when they could pick them up etc. Really it is all about a result and qualification.
I admit I struggle with it as well though. Saipan did something to me I'm afraid. I still cant get my head around how something like that could have happened.

general

90 mins nobody will ever get back.

John Egan not international standard -
Alex Pearce - still not sure
Kevin Doyle - As much as I like him and know his heart is in it - your done mate
Conor Hourihane -  good effort but ducked out of the way for the free kick resulting in the goal
Johnny Hayes - Dont remember him doing anything significant

Eunan O'Kane - showed well when he came on, looked very comfortable.

I would suggest O'Neills biggest task should be trying to persuade the lad hogan who plays up top. We need a striker badly

AZOffaly

Quote from: moysider on March 29, 2017, 12:47:48 AM

I'd say it's alway's been that way. Don't know how long you've been watching though. The difference now between how top club sides play and international teams play is more marked than it used to be. Back in the day we were not exposed to likes of Barcelona that much either. And we only saw likes of Zico, Socrates, Maradonna every four years. So an Irish, English, Scottish game would not be much different than watching Liverpool, Leeds, etc. on MOTD. Tackles, crosses (often from closer  half way line than corner flag) passes back to keeper when they could pick them up etc. Really it is all about a result and qualification.
I admit I struggle with it as well though. Saipan did something to me I'm afraid. I still cant get my head around how something like that could have happened.

In fairness I think historically Ireland would have been seen as more like Scotland, in terms of flair. It wasn't all dogged determination. Scotland were renowned for their wingers. Ireland had the likes of Liam Brady, Tony Grealish, Johnny Giles, etc. I think Ireland's problem back then was that they didn't qualify playing that type of football, agonisingly so a couple of times under Eoin Hand, and therefore they changed tack with Big Jack. Jack didn't bother his arse worrying about styles, and brought in the more pragmatic northern English work till you drop and you'll beat a better team.

Without trying to be revisionist, when you look at the team Jack had, with McGrath, Whelan, Lawrenson, Brady, O'Leary, Irwin, Staunton, Houghton, Aldridge, Sheedy etc, they could have approached the games an awful lot differently, and probably still had very good success. Remember only for Gary McKay, Euro 88 doesn't happen, and that was the springboard that gave Jack the remit to continue in that vein.

McCarthy tried to be more cultured, with the likes of Keane II, Duff etc, but Saipan scuppered that. Brian Kerr also likes to pass the ball around, but he's too conservative in nature, and his teams just sat back and invited trouble whenever they went ahead. Plus the great generation was definitely gone in his time.  Trappatoni then was like JAck on steroids. He didn't trust the players, and didn't really want to have a go either. At least Jack wanted to be aggressive.

O'Neill seems to me to be more like maybe McCarthy, with a dose of Kerr.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 29, 2017, 09:29:15 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 29, 2017, 12:47:48 AM

In fairness I think historically Ireland would have been seen as more like Scotland, in terms of flair. It wasn't all dogged determination. Scotland were renowned for their wingers. Ireland had the likes of Liam Brady, Tony Grealish, Johnny Giles, etc. I think Ireland's problem back then was that they didn't qualify playing that type of football, agonisingly so a couple of times under Eoin Hand, and therefore they changed tack with Big Jack. Jack didn't bother his arse worrying about styles, and brought in the more pragmatic northern English work till you drop and you'll beat a better team.

Without trying to be revisionist, when you look at the team Jack had, with McGrath, Whelan, Lawrenson, Brady, O'Leary, Irwin, Staunton, Houghton, Aldridge, Sheedy etc, they could have approached the games an awful lot differently, and probably still had very good success. Remember only for Gary McKay, Euro 88 doesn't happen, and that was the springboard that gave Jack the remit to continue in that vein.

McCarthy tried to be more cultured, with the likes of Keane II, Duff etc, but Saipan scuppered that. Brian Kerr also likes to pass the ball around, but he's too conservative in nature, and his teams just sat back and invited trouble whenever they went ahead. Plus the great generation was definitely gone in his time.  Trappatoni then was like JAck on steroids. He didn't trust the players, and didn't really want to have a go either. At least Jack wanted to be aggressive.

O'Neill seems to me to be more like maybe McCarthy, with a dose of Kerr.

Don't forget as well, pre 1990 it was more difficult to qualify for tournaments. Only 8 teams in Euro 88.

AZOffaly

True, and less countries in general. 1 Yugoslavia. 1 USSR.

But if the Eoin Hand team were playing at that time in a 7 team group, with 1 to qualify and 1 to go to playoffs, they'd definitely have made a few tournaments.