The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: trailer on February 21, 2019, 06:31:20 PM
Some arseholes about. Irish open would've folded a few years ago if it weren't for him. People would rather fawn over Mickelson that give Rory the credit he deserves.
Undoubtedly a talented golfer I won't deny that but I personally don't like him and that is my prerogative, credit where it is due he did help resurrect the Irish Open. To me golf is a selfish game and I wouldn't go to watch it live, I'd rather play badly and watch it on tv.

Boycey

Quote from: lenny on February 22, 2019, 07:04:32 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 21, 2019, 10:37:51 PM
Quote from: lenny on February 21, 2019, 08:25:04 PM
Quote from: dec on February 21, 2019, 03:48:02 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-likely-to-miss-2019-irish-open-at-lahinch-1.3696607

From last November

Rory McIlroy could miss the 2019 Irish Open at Lahinch Golf Club based on a revised playing schedule that will see him spend the majority of the first eight months of the year in America but more pertinently in reverting to what proved a successful on-course formula while winning his four Majors.McIlroy has said that he will play "Irish or Scottish," as one of the four events that he requires to retain his membership of the European Tour, a status on which he will take a view next year; just for 2019 though as he wants to continue playing in the Ryder Cup. The next biennial match takes place at Whistling Straits in 2020, meaning he can take a step back from the Tour next year without any effect on his chances of qualifying.
The other tournament to which he is already committed is the Omega European Masters at Crans-sur-Sierre Golf Club in Switzerland.
The 29-year-old Northern Ireland golfer, speaking ahead of the DP World Tour Championship which starts on Thursday, explained that in three of his four Major wins, he played the week before and that is a strategy he may reprise next season.
If that is the case then he will play the Scottish Open at the Renaissance golf club, a tournament that takes place the week preceding the 148th British Open Championship at Royal Portrush, for what will be the fourth Major in the schedule from next year, as the US PGA Championship has switched to May....

If it was being played in the north he'd be playing in it. I don't know how he can say it'll affect his preparation, surely it could only help him playing on links for 3 successive weeks. I'm disappointed but not surprised. He has other major issues in his game he should be addressing which would be more beneficial than missing his national open.

Yeah he's shit 3 top 5s in 3 starts and just shot 8 under he should maybe retire!!

His season and career will be defined by major wins not shooting one great round in mexico. It's when the pressure of majors comes around that he has the mentality issues.

Still in his 20s he's in the top 20 all time major winners, third most major titles by a European, multiple order of merit winner on both sides of the pond and you think he has mentality issues  :)

Orior

Big test for McIlroy today.

Years ago, he had one bad round in four.

These days, it seems he has one good round in four. Let's hope that changes!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Link

Irish open owes more to Rory than Rory owes to it. Portstewart and Ballyliffin both hosted by Rory were great events and he supported it before then when he could have been playing in the US with a bigger purse on a course than suited him better.

If he feels that playing 3 weeks in a row isn't the best prep for Major then so be it.

His best move to appease the Irish would probably have been to miss the scottish but maybe this isn't ideal for his prep either.

At the end of the day, he's doesn't need the money and wants to put himself in the best place to win one of the big ones again so let him at it.

To those who say he has issues in his game, you're having a laugh. He has 3 top 5s this year already, his last 4 rounds are 63 69 69 63 and has made nearly $1m in 4 events.

highorlow

Attitude now he reckons has fixed our Rory. Lowry will win a major before he wins another one, if he ever does. He is lacking heart because he has no allegiance to anything meaningful and doesn't have any inbuilt belief.

"Some of the times, it will go wrong, and so you have to be that character to, you know, you're going to take a shot on, it won't work out, but you can't second guess yourself afterwards.

"You have to have that mentality that you have to believe that your strategy is it, that you are the man, that 100% it's all about your strategy. You've got to believe in yourself." P.H
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Boycey

It's amazing that the same paper can host two such conflicts views within 24 hours of one another.

David Kelly: 'Having rescued Irish Open, McIlroy's reasons for bypassing Lahinch must be respected'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/david-kelly-having-rescued-irish-open-mcilroys-reasons-for-bypassing-lahinch-must-be-respected-37841421.html

thewobbler

Quote from: highorlow on February 22, 2019, 10:16:20 AM
Attitude now he reckons has fixed our Rory. Lowry will win a major before he wins another one, if he ever does. He is lacking heart because he has no allegiance to anything meaningful and doesn't have any inbuilt belief.

"Some of the times, it will go wrong, and so you have to be that character to, you know, you're going to take a shot on, it won't work out, but you can't second guess yourself afterwards.

"You have to have that mentality that you have to believe that your strategy is it, that you are the man, that 100% it's all about your strategy. You've got to believe in yourself." P.H

Seriously have a look at what you're writing here. Rory is in control of his own destiny. If he clicks, there's maybe 2-3 players in the world can keep with him, and they've got to play perfectly. Whereas Lowry, even if he had a perfect tournament, will need the world's top 20 to all have weak tournaments, in order for him to win.

This is why Rory, despite being a couple of years younger, has won multiple majors, while Shane has won tournaments at a much lower level.

Kickham csc

Quote from: thewobbler on February 22, 2019, 01:29:41 PM

Seriously have a look at what you're writing here. Rory is in control of his own destiny. If he clicks, there's maybe 2-3 players in the world can keep with him, and they've got to play perfectly. Whereas Lowry, even if he had a perfect tournament, will need the world's top 20 to all have weak tournaments, in order for him to win.

This is why Rory, despite being a couple of years younger, has won multiple majors, while Shane has won tournaments at a much lower level.

The main problem with Rory was that he went off the boil at the wrong time. There was a 1-2 gap after he won his majors that he could have kicked on and won a few more, and then start to establish an aura that could be worth 1-2 strokes per round. 

He hurt his ankle, had women issues (ruination of many a good man) and then a new wave of young golfers arrived who seem to not fear Rory.

He'll win more majors, but I can't see him dominate the way it looked like he would

thewobbler

I'd argue that none of that is Rory's main problem.

His main problem is that he succeeded Tiger Woods as the world's understood best player. Problem being that Tiger readjusted how dominant a single golfer can be to levels that will be beyond anyone for decades, until another freak show comes along. As it will take almost as long for public perception of "acceptable level of performance from a world no.1" to realign too, that's the nub of his problem.

Rory is safely in the top 50 golfers of all time, probably knocking on the top 20. One more top class season and he will be in the top 10.

He will never displace Jack and Tiger in positions 1 and 2. But it's unfair to measure him against those two. Celebrate what he has done, instead of focusing on the impossible.

Gabriel_Hurl

Shane?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 22, 2019, 02:11:39 PM

Shane?

Shane McGowan has a better chance ffs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Kickham csc on February 22, 2019, 01:37:39 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 22, 2019, 01:29:41 PM

The main problem with Rory was that he went off the boil at the wrong time. There was a 1-2 gap after he won his majors that he could have kicked on and won a few more, and then start to establish an aura that could be worth 1-2 strokes per round. 

He hurt his ankle, had women issues (ruination of many a good man) and then a new wave of young golfers arrived who seem to not fear Rory.

He'll win more majors, but I can't see him dominate the way it looked like he would

There's a lack of understanding in this post of how difficult golf is and indeed the very top elite level golf.

trailer

f**k it. I'm looking a drop everywhere from now on.

lenny

Quote from: trailer on February 24, 2019, 08:03:29 PM

McIlroy was totally chancing his arm there. Fair play to the official for standing up to him

screenexile

Quote from: lenny on February 24, 2019, 08:11:12 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 24, 2019, 08:03:29 PM

McIlroy was totally chancing his arm there. Fair play to the official for standing up to him

I think DJ's was very dubious as well. McIlroy no way!