American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 09, 2018, 12:05:41 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 08, 2018, 08:29:23 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 08, 2018, 08:25:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 07, 2018, 01:32:06 PM
The Warriors are impossible to like. If LeBron has to leave Cleveland to form a proper threat to them then so be it. And hopefully the locals won't start burning his jersey this time, it's not his fault he's being supported by cardboard cutouts.
Why?

KD. Green. Kerr. The best team in the league buying the second best player in the league, creating a massive imbalance might be the biggest one. Very hard to appreciate them removed from the reason they are so good.
Imagine stating Steve Kerr as a reason for not liking a team. I'm 36 Yrs old and that is one the most insanely ridiculous statements I've read in my lifetime. The Man is an absolute gent on/off the court with awakened political views beyond his own self interest. Clearly you haven't a clue, completely uninformed and probably best not to comment rather than expose your lack of any knowledge on this.

KD and Green I can understand and most of the lads have alluded to KD already, but its just resentment and jealously, KD does more than most for charity, Green is just a unbelievable competitor who's on the edge all the time. As our last line of defence is in the thick of it. Rubs people up the wrong way and shoots from the hip with his mouth.

Kerr is most of those things but he's far from anything special with regards to 'awkward political views' in the NBA. The players are very socially conscious and Pop has said as much as Kerr ever has in that regard, for example.

You seem to have a bit of a man crush on him but Kerr is known to have been a cocky little so-and-so  in his own playing days; Jordan once punched him in the face. As a coach he tries to hide a level of arrogance behind being forthright; he even admitted to tiring of the humble act at times himself so this is coming from the horse's mouth. I'm sure you have to be somewhat arrogance in that world but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Kerr also gets too much credit for a team that was essentially ready to go the moment he arrived. He took them over the edge, but they got to that edge by themselves.

He's like a cross between Jim Gavin's smirking grins and Jurgen Klopp's gurning cheerleading when it comes to his public persona. He's just the smallest part of why people hate the Warriors but he is a part of it alright.

gawa316

Rather easy in the end. Close, close call on MVP with game 3 obviously winning it for KD.

Very strange the bar I was in was in full support for the 'impossible to like' warriors but hey sure what do I know.

heganboy

New York was pretty much a Dubs city this week...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2018, 01:17:33 AMKerr is known to have been a cocky little so-and-so  in his own playing days

You worship at the altar of Cam Newton ffs!

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2018, 09:22:42 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2018, 01:17:33 AMKerr is known to have been a cocky little so-and-so  in his own playing days

:) :) :)

gallsman

So LeBron played the final three games with a banjaxed hand after punching a whiteboard in the aftermath of game one. The official line is that it was in relation to the charge/blocking call being overturned between him and KD bit I don't think JR will be phoning him any time soon.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2018, 09:22:42 AM

I like Cam because he single-handedly won Auburn it's first championship since the 1940s. Look, I have little against Kerr personally. I was just pointing out he wasn't perfect nor the only socially forward voice in the NBA. Pop being in Texas probably makes his stances more meaningful too, in Oakland Kerr is preaching to the choir. He just happens to be the face of an organisation that is very hard to like.

NBA play is at an all-time high but GSW have drained so much of the interest out of for me and probably a lot of others too. KD leaving a contender to join the best team in the league was some weak-ass stuff. Even LeBron forming a super team in Miami was less agregious than what he did.

Oraisteach

Still really angry that that almost all the Cavs rolled over and played dead, esp. LBJ. 

Syferus

LeLaker. This must mean the Lakers are working on another big move because LeBron wouldn't sign to be on a team that can't contend right away.

Anything to stop the Warriors, even a resurgent Lakers.

Oraisteach

This time, no televised Decision. I failed against him last time, but he came back and won a championship for a trophy-starved city. Now it's basement time for us. Maybe the Indians can win it, or perhaps the Browns can win three games.

gawa316

If Leonard ends up at the Lakers as well (although that will probably not be to next year), if could make things very interesting

gallsman

Lakers was always the lead contender by all accounts but a small part of me wished he'd go to San Antonio. LeBron and Pop together Vs the Warriors would be something else.

Fair play to LeBron as this will be his biggest challenge yet. Whether it's Kawhi or PG13, there'll be one more star joining this summer at least bit make no mistake, the Lakers are a poor outfit. The West will be much tougher for him. Boston and Philly will have the run of the East for years to come.

gawa316

Quote from: gallsman on July 02, 2018, 07:54:06 AM
Lakers was always the lead contender by all accounts but a small part of me wished he'd go to San Antonio. LeBron and Pop together Vs the Warriors would be something else.

Fair play to LeBron as this will be his biggest challenge yet. Whether it's Kawhi or PG13, there'll be one more star joining this summer at least bit make no mistake, the Lakers are a poor outfit. The West will be much tougher for him. Boston and Philly will have the run of the East for years to come.

Did Paul George not sign a 4 year deal with OKC?

Boston and 6ers definitely look to be the best but also like the Pacers and the Bucks in the east

gallsman

Quote from: gawa316 on July 02, 2018, 08:02:15 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 02, 2018, 07:54:06 AM

Did Paul George not sign a 4 year deal with OKC?

Boston and 6ers definitely look to be the best but also like the Pacers and the Bucks in the east

Just looked it up. George staying in OKC alright, missed that altogether.

Pacers are good but need someone at least as good as Oladipo to push on and become contenders. Same for Milwaukee, Giannis needs help.

oakleaflad

Kam Chancellor has had to retire due to risk of paralysis. Was a damn good football player.