Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on June 26, 2016, 01:51:38 PM
Nicola Sturgeon says MSPs at Holyrood could veto Brexit - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36633244

Overplaying her hand I would imagine.

Still, a bit like Dev delaying the legalities of Edward VIII abdicating, she is making the most of what power she has. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

The frustrating thing about that is foster could speak up too but won't. Their campaign failed in ni to a 12 % majority and they are that deluded they've been patting themselves on the back.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 26, 2016, 02:25:54 PM
The frustrating thing about that is foster could speak up too but won't. Their campaign failed in ni to a 12 % majority and they are that deluded they've been patting themselves on the back.
56% must include a good few protestants.
Any Protestant farmer who voted leave must have wanted penury
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

SkillfulBill

Wouldnt matter what Foster says. If it requires NI consent she doesnt have the numbers. Even if she could muster up the UUP. SF and SDLP can block it with a petition of concern. The way around it is westminster taking back powers from both storment and holyrood which would be mana from heaven for independence movements.

armaghniac

I suspect robinson wouldn't have suipport Brexit in the first place and would have been willing to articulate NIs economic interests after this vote.

what is needed is a campaign to manifest this majority in distinct arrangements for NI which minimise the the damage. I'm not sure who can lead this?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

dferg

The UK pays 350 million per week as part of running the EU, it will be interesting to see how the EU plug that hole in there finance if the UK does leave.

imtommygunn

How much do they get back though?

muppet

Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:16:58 PM
The UK pays 350 million per week as part of running the EU, it will be interesting to see how the EU plug that hole in there finance if the UK does leave.

It is 11 million per week.  :o :o

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Most of the contribution goes back to farmers and disadvantaged areas in the UK.

It will be interesting to see how London plugs that hole.
MWWSI 2017

dferg

Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:20:28 PM

Most of the contribution goes back to farmers and disadvantaged areas in the UK.

I read thst article. Where do you get 11 million per week from?

muppet

Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:24:49 PM

I did what you did.

Pulled a number out of my arse.
MWWSI 2017

dferg

Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:26:55 PM

I did what you did.

No i didn't do what you did. I googled the cost.  You are just being silly.

muppet

Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:30:14 PM

I did what you did.

Yes you did!

You admitted you read the article which explains, right at the start, that Britain doesn't pay £18bn a year (your £350m * 52 weeks). But you pretended you hadn't read it and posted the anti-intellectual rant anyway.
MWWSI 2017

dferg

Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:32:54 PM

I did what you did.

Yes you did!

You admitted you read the article which explains, right at the start, that Britain doesn't pay £18bn a year (your £350m * 52 weeks). But you pretended you hadn't read it and posted the anti-intellectual rant anyway.

I posted 30 words.  It was hardly a rant.

I didn't pretend anything, I said I read the article.  The UK pay a lot of money into the EU every year which will leave a huge hole in there finance if the UK leave.

Stick to your crap[tion] competition if you can't argue without being facetious.

muppet

Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:43:44 PM

I did what you did.

Yes you did!

I didn't pretend anything, I said I read the article.  The UK pay a lot of money into the EU every year which will leave a huge hole in there finance if the UK leave.

Stick to your crap[tion] competition if you can't argue without being facetious.

This is one of the first 10 lines of the article you said you read:

"The UK doesn't pay or "send to Brussels" this higher figure of £18 billion, or anything equivalent per week or per day. The rebate is applied straight away, so the UK never contributes this much."

And you accuse me of being facetious.  ;D ;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

dferg

Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:43:44 PM

I did what you did.

Yes you did!

This is one of the first 10 lines of the article you said you read:

"The UK doesn't pay or "send to Brussels" this higher figure of £18 billion, or anything equivalent per week or per day. The rebate is applied straight away, so the UK never contributes this much."

And you accuse me of being facetious.  ;D ;D ;D
I read the article.  It said they paid in 350 million per week.  If you want to say they get X amount of this back and being in the EU also brings Y jobs etc. fair enough.  It doesn't change the fact that the UK leaving the EU will leave a huge hole in the EU finances.